Cycling in snow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've put studded tyres on my cross bike and been fine on ice and snow, although a little disconcerting as it cracks underneath you. As they've only got 120 studs they roll better than the 240-stud tyres I had on my MTB.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Anything those Finns can do........
(Brisbane Glen, Largs. On Schwalbe studded tyres).

1611579522806.png

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'm a lot more comfortable cycling (and walking) in snowy conditions rather than icy conditions... but the downside here is our marine climate means the snow quickly melts and refreezes as ice the following night, whereas places further north (Finland) or much more inland (Slovakia), the snow tends to stay as snow.

tyred

Legendary Member
I would do fresh snow but the trouble is that it quickly gets compacted by other traffic or begins to thaw and the free again and it is just too dangerous IMO.

I keep meaning to buy studded tyres.

I've heard carbon bikes can't be ridden in snow, they might break!

I think that refers to the people that ride carbon bikes:laugh:

I'm a lot more comfortable cycling (and walking) in snowy conditions rather than icy conditions... but the downside here is our marine climate means the snow quickly melts and refreezes as ice the following night, whereas places further north (Finland) or much more inland (Slovakia), the snow tends to stay as snow.
Exactly. Or it rains on cold, partially icy surfaces, leading to a safety guessing game/lottery. We may not get extremes as extreme as other countries, but we have our own unique difficulties.
Also spare a thought for flooded areas, which then froze over Sunday/Monday. Tricky.

If we get a couple of days of icy slush it is hardly worth changing tyres. An annual dependable cold snowy winter makes tyre choice much easier.

This is much the same as the winter gritter/snowplough dilema. They need them for 4 months every year, we need them for 2 weeks every 10 years.

Reactions: C R

irw

Quadricyclist
I think that refers to the people that ride carbon bikes:laugh:
Quite. We all know that the bikes themselves melt...

Edit:
Although in saying that, if the temperature is below 0, then would they melt, or would they desublimate, such that you end up literally
riding an 'i-cycle'?

Have I just stumbled upon the 'carbon bike paradox'?

Last edited:
  • Laugh
Reactions: C R
Top Bottom