Cycling in snow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Cycling in snow is fun, but much more so off rather than on road IMO.

Have a lovely pre-dawn ride today in icy conditions with just a tiny smattering of fresh snow with spiked tyres on the MTB which means you don't need to worry about ice. I got the spiked tyres for commuting, but now WFH due to COVID.

Rather more snow at the weekend up in the Peaks, very hard riding with drifted snow on deep mud...

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/page-1853#post-6285301

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Snow or ice is fine if you can can hear it crunching. When it goes silent then care is required. Rutted ice is the worst as you are often reduced to following the ruts wherever they may lead. Also, in those conditions, it's difficult to ride fast enough to keep warm.

johnblack

Über Member
Went out yesterday, first time I've had the chance in a few years, such a great laugh, some off roads and quiet lanes, tyres were perfect, just dropped the PSI a bit. Only problem was the gears freezing solid about 4 miles out and having to ride the next 16 in 32/28.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Snow hah,

davidphilips

Veteran
Would really like to say i am not put of by snow and a few years ago would happily cycle in most conditions but not now.
Admire cyclists not put of by freezing temperatures but only use road bikes now and have had to many injuries to risk another.

Top Bottom