Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Just a short one this morning, I would have ventured further but there was far too much ice still around for me.

I took out my Shimpagnolo turbo bike for its first outing outside of the garage since I built it, and it was really good. Smooth, comfortable and shifted gears well. I'm really pleased with it, I'll be doing a few more miles on it when the weather improves.

colly

Re member eR
A 10.30am set off into a chilly overcast morning. The forecast promised a bit of sun late morning. They lied.
A little loop around the block and then it was off to parts West. Ilkley was the goal and I went via Shadwell, Bramhope, Otley Chevin, Menston and Burley in Wharefdale. Being into the wind all the way it was heavy going and I very nearly turned for home at Menston. I resisted the temptation and pressed on. In Ilkley I found The Wharfe high but well down from any kind of serious flooding. I turned east after crossing the river and at the footbridge about a half mile downstream I came across what looked like a rescue team with divers in and around the river. I didn't stop to see what was going on because there were already loads of rubber neckers hanging about getting in the way. If was anything serious it will be in the news.
Carrying on towards Askwith on Denton Road I crossed back over the river at Ben Rhydding and took the road to Otley.
The sun was out at last and wouldn't you know it.............glaring in my face so much I could barely see. It didn't last very long.
Eventually Otley hove into view and I used the bypass to go around the town and took the Leeds Road up out of the valley. Surprisingly, according to Strava, my time up it is the second fastest I have ever managed. More surprising because I was 30 miles into a ride on a cold day and I was definitely flagging, already wishing I had turned for home sooner.
Bramhope, Kings Lane around Eccup and home after another local loop.

45.7 miles and 2400 plus ft of up. Fixed wheel.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/61803097

AndreaJ

Veteran
Due to a slight disaster on my way home from work on Wednesday night when the hanger for the rear derailleur snapped resulting in a 3 mile walk home in the pouring rain along dark country lanes my better bike is out of action 😢. Luckily I kept the previous bike as a back up and after I sorted the flat tyre that had from its last outing I set off on a short ride. Didn’t want to go too far from home as it kept snowing and there’s a lot of roads still flooded.
Set off to Whixall and soon found that there was more snow than at home despite only having gone a couple of miles, mostly wet slushy snow so I carried on to Alkington turning down to cross the canal up to Fenns Bank, through a few big puddles back to Hollinswood, Coton, Abbeygreen where there was a very big, deep puddle so turned back and took a different lane to Waterloo, Foxholes, Ryebank, Horton and back home. 19.49 miles in a mixture of snow showers and bright sunshine but cold.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I have no idea what possessed me to do a shake-down ride today after adjusting my bike-fit on Patsy #2 The CX, but I figured the 35mm studded tyres with low pressure would be more than okay. But after a front wheel 'wobble' when I did a U-turn to say hello to a great mate of mine (and another slight skid on a country lane), prudence finally kicked in and I headed home.
About a mile from warmth, however, I was over-taken, at some considerable speed, by a roadie with tyres that looked about 25mm. I couldn't decide if he was being awesome, stupid or some weird combination of both.
Still, Suffolk in Winter.

Nacton 24.1.21.JPG

colly

Re member eR
At a loose end this aft I thought I would nip out for a ridette.
Just a few boring loops around the block. 5 in all. It wasn't icey, it wasn't wet, it wasn't dark, but it felt like a bit of a slog from the moment I set off. :sad: But hey..........5 loops so I can't grumble, and if it snows again I'll be more than pleased I made the effort.

11 miles and 950 ft of up. Fixed wheel.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/61857496

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Just another loop of Felixstowe for a click & collect from Argos, followed by a trip to Ipswich & back via Levington, Nacton & Bucklesham for another click & collect from Halfords. Used this as a decent test ride for my Giant which I've just changed to a 1x setup. Thankfully it was only cold, grey & miserable with the overnight hard frost having melted, but I misread the clouds & rain radar and went out in full waterproofs which had to be removed part way due to overheating.
https://www.strava.com/activities/4674383518
1611521038937.png

Second ride on the mixte. Still impressed by how it goes. How it stops, however, is a very different story...:eek:
Too cold and too icy, so gave up at the north end of Gem Bridge.
Probably just as well the brakes are carp, too easy to skid on the shiny stuff.
New-style MMR stats:

So, suggestions for new brakes, please. Levers are fine. But plainly Weinmann 730s are not.
:biggrin:
Edit: forgot to add that the heel strike problem from before has gone now I've swapped to the big Wellgo MTB pedals.

Last edited:

a.twiddler

Veteran
After several days of peering mournfully at the weather through the windows, doing all the household jobs that could be done, sorting out bike jobs and generally going stir crazy finally I gathered myself together to combine a prescription drop off with a parcel pick up before getting out into the wide blue yonder (well, grey yonder then). I was all thermalled up with many layers so despite the low temperature I was confident I’d be OK.

The Garden Chair emerged from the garage door expecting a fanfare of trumpets having got used to tiptoeing silently through the back gate. It was sadly disappointed this time. Everything was checked, I climbed on board, retracted the stand and powered up for take off. Basically, that meant I lifted my right foot off the floor, and put it on the pedal. Perhaps it sounds more impressive than it looks. It feels pretty good though. Push with right foot, sweep up left foot to pedal and bingo, you are airborne. It’s more of a leap of faith than on a conventional bike, as it’s not so quick and easy to put your feet down again if you lose your bottle. With the drive now rolling away below me, hoping not to come across any neighbours, as once stopped, I’ll never get away again. The recumbent effect. Out of the close, into the next bit of minor road, then onto a left junction on to Swanlow Lane

Up a slight hump then downhill to the bottom of a climb to our local uphill traffic lights. Green, green, still green, then red as I slow down on the uphill, going up the cycle lane on the left leading to the Advance Stop Line. Not much traffic but there is large SUV to my right with the left indicator on. I am in low gear now ahead of the SUV practically doing a LWB trackstand when the light goes green and the driver patiently lets me go ahead before turning left behind me. Unexpected politeness gives you a good feeling. Maybe the driver just wanted to look at the bike. So many drivers still just don't know that the ASL is for cyclists. I just need someone now to tell me that's not a bike....is it?

Straight on now to the A54, stopping at the lights, right round the big roundabout and downhill, where traffic moved aside to let me use the RH lane on the dual carriageway ready for the RH traffic light into the town centre. Errands completed, I headed to Weaver St with its steep downhill and speed humps. I hopped the (low) kerb and followed the pavement over the river, then on to the cycle route that runs alongside it. Unexpectedly muddy here, difficult to retain traction. Had to get off and push.

A bit further on it was back to tarmac. The path has a line of paving stone down the middle. Eventually the left side turns to climb a steep hill to the lane that crosses the bypass, while the right side still follows the river. I followed the left side until it became unreasonably steep. Where oh where have my recumbent legs gone? Then I got off and pushed again. I am beginning to see a theme here.

Once the horizon had reestablished itself and I was riding again I soon reached Rilshaw Lane. It’s a while since I’d been this way and the road priorities have changed due to new house building everywhere. Coming to a halt in a sea of mud surrounded by newly built houses I realised that the lane turned off some way back. I turned round and found the right road. Still a pleasant lane, I continued to the end, then turned left at a T junction on Clive Lane, then right at the traffic lights on to Middlewich Road. Some large vehicles on this narrow country road en route for the M6 but they all gave me a good amount of room, despite me wriggling to avoid pot holes. The 30mph limit ended but despite the national speed limit for a stretch nothing was going to get up much speed here, and not just because I was cluttering up their road. Feeling quite hot by this stage, but thought I might cool down once I had gone a bit further on the flat.

Down a long dip, across the River Wheelock into a 30mph limit then up Spital Hill, and I was in the teeming metrollops of Middlewich. Plenty of traffic in both directions but although it wasn’t pleasant there seemed to be a reasonable amount of space given. After crossing a mini roundabout I took the lane for the Crewe road then a sharp right to go back the way I’d come. Anticipating a good run down the hill I was impeded by a knot of traffic at a standstill. I slowed well in advance and just as I came up to the last vehicle it all started moving again.

At the bottom of the hill is a bridge over the River Wheelock then a tight left into Coalpit Lane where I turned, trying to keep some speed up as there is a steep dip then a stiff climb up to where it levels out. Struggling a bit in bottom gear, but mostly feeling hot, I came across some ice in the shade of the hedgebank and slithered to a halt. I couldn’t get going again and was really overheated by now. I shoved my hat and gloves in my pocket, took off my neck tube and unzipped my jacket. Then I pushed to the top of the slope. While I was pushing, a couple in a car stopped and asked If I was OK. “Hot,” I said” extremely hot”. They passed by, I reached the top, restarted and got some air cooling. “This is Cheshire” I told myself, “Everybody thinks it’s flat!"

I turned right into Birch Lane , then crossed the A54 on to a lane linking to the A533. Following this left, I came to an end on junction with the lane through Bostock, the former main road. The main road now turns off left while the lane continues, though you wouldn’t think so by the amount of traffic on it. The lane rejoins the “new” A533 at a roundabout where I went straight across to London Road, Davenham. There is a dip then a surprising climb towards Davenham. I was beginning to think I was doing something wrong here. I didn’t remember it being so steep. Plenty of speed humps on this road to discourage traffic. I got up it then turned left towards Moulton on Jack Lane, through more humps then through a mini roundabout. Shortly afterwards I turned right up Niddries Lane through a small housing estate to the top of a hill.

Here the road ends, diverting to become several unpaved tracks. As I came to the top of the hill I could see several dog walkers going in the direction I was travelling. I turned left downhill towards the West Coast Main Line where I could see a track gang at work with yellow rail machinery spread over a stretch of the track. The unpaved road passes under the railway in two tunnels, one under the main line, and one where there must have been a line branching off into one of the many works that existed by the River Weaver in the heyday of local salt production. It is part of the access to a caravan park now.

Notice the blue engineering brick, patterned with red brick on this face. This is the main line so it's reasonable to think that it was built first.

Looking from the downhill end this access tunnel was finished mostly in red brick, most likely the branch above was built to link whatever works was here, with the pre existing main line. The steepness of the slope stands out when you compare the uphill and downhill ends. Note the Linear lurking in the shrubbery.

I passed the dog walkers, then some walkers coming the other way. I stopped at the tunnels to take some pictures but had to wait quite a while as there was a veritable procession of MTB-ers, joggers, walkers and dog walkers coming and going. Everyone out for their daily exercise. I might complain, but realistically, what can people do? I’m part of the problem too.

I could see that the surface of the track had been quite well restored recently but the heavy rain we have had lately has begun to erode it in places.

Unusually, I was able to just roll down the hill to the car park by Meadowbank swing bridge without using the brakes much as the surface was so much better than I have seen it for a long time. The driver of an oncoming people carrier waited for me to cross the narrow bridge after which I climbed past the Salt Works then turned up on to the Whitegate Way rail trail for the first time this year. Some slushy icy patches still in places but generally quite OK. Again, I was surprised at the amount of people about. I had to hang back quite a bit because of this, to keep social distancing, which didn’t do my average speed much good

No elegant balancing through the mud and ice at the barrier at Marton Level Crossing, unashamedly Fred Flinstone-ing it. Down to the road at Grange Lane, held up by a couple of dog walkers obliviously gasbagging away in the middle of the road further along until I squeaked my front brake. Back through the sports fields, via the A-frame barrier, through an estate, into Swanlow Lane.

Here I was able to get into top for a while as there is a level stretch which very slightly undulates. The bar end shifters allow me to get into the gear I want quickly so can make better use of the gears. Previously with the derailleur thumb shifter there was a slight vagueness which combined with being out of sight under the seat sometimes left me in too high a gear. So along this slightly undulating stretch I was able to click up and down accurately to match the speed quickly. Still not fast, but able to hang on to the speed that I had more easily. Promising prospect for future outings.

So I am ahead this year, and once I have recovered the fitness I have lost since last year should be able to build on it.

A lot of people about, and a lot of traffic. Not like last year’s restrictions when people took it seriously.

Distance today 22.39 miles. Max 28.5 mph. Average 8.1 mph which I will surely improve on.

Just discovered Bike Hike which lets me put in some altitude info (if accurate).

Total Ascent:​

520​

ft​

Total Descent:

515​

ft​

Start Elevation:

193​

ft​

End Elevation:

198​

ft​