Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
Headed out this afternoon, for a ride over to Dad’s. Cooler than yesterday, but still fairly mild, with a strong blustery wind from the West/South West, meant a struggle into it, through Meole, Hook a Gate and Annscroft. 2 sets of traffic lights in Annscroft, the first of which must be the most pointless I’ve ever seen, with the set of lights literally about 2 metres apart :wacko: and plenty of room for 2 cars to get past the small hole anyway!

Nice to have the wind mostly behind me to Dad’s, where I called in for a chat, then headed back out through Gonsal, Condover, Betton Abbots and the estate near to home, to vary the last section a bit. Had the 1 moronic piece of driving, along Wenlock Rd, with a car overtaking 2 cyclists, coming towards me, meaning it was a bit tight, however the real prat was the police car that overtook me at the same time, forcing the other car to have to swerve towards the other cyclists. What chance do we have when those enforcing the law can’t drive in a courteous manner🤬

15.7 miles at 11.8mph avg and thankfully no floods like yesterday, just mud and water along many verges.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Managed a fashionably late entry into the Metric Century-a-Month Challenge today, taking advantage of a weather window to get a 105km (65 mile) ride in for January. Staying local, I headed out from Quedgeley to Eastington before making a bee-line for Arlingham. After that, I carried out a series of various sized loops in the triangular area in between those three places. First photo stop was at Stonebench, where the Severn was close to breaching its banks:

Next up, the riverbank at Arlingham, opposite Newnham-on-Severn:

Here's something you don't see every day ..... traffic on the A38 stopped because of a house dangling above the carriageway:

The weather was unseasonably mild and, in large parts, quite sunny. You can see the line of white houses on the hillside in the distance in the Forest of Dean ..... Cinderford in the sunlight:

After about 75km, with Swissrail timing I met up at the canal bridge with my mate Simon at exactly the agreed time, and we headed off for an obsolete canal crossing at Hardwicke:

After a bit of meandering around (including going back there again for Simon's sunglasses!), we headed off through Longney to take an unmetaled track that I'd never been down before, and which led to the point exactly opposite this on the other bank:

After that, we looped around through Longney, bringing up my 100km on the way. Nice to have some company for the final leg, which was at a very welcome leisurely pace. Back home and hosed now, and struggling to move after making short shrift of a roast chicken dinner, courtesy of Mrs Donger. Back in the game!

Cheers, Donger.

ianbarton

Veteran
Sunday was decent weather here, so I set off on my 48k loop through Whitchurch and Wrenbury. I stopped at the top of the hill at Wirswall for a rest and to look over the Cheshire plain. Rumours that I had a picnic at the bench on the top of the hill are greatly exaggerated, it was just a quick sandwich and hot chocolate. The road on the descent from Wirswall is getting even worse. The giant pot holes are full of water, so a real danger if you don't know where they are.

A couple of miles from home I stopped to chat with a friend who was trying to unblock various road drains that were stopping the flood from his farmyard escaping.
IMG_20210127_141819.jpg

Wirswall (no I didn't have a picnic honest:smile:

IMG_20210127_142118.jpg

View over the Cheshire plain looking towards the Beeston hills.

colly

Re member eR
Grand kids are coming today so a ride out before they arrive because if I leave it until after they have been I will be knackered.
Out just before 7 with no plan I ended up going round the almost deserted ring road past Weetwood and Lawnswood to the Horsforth roundabout and turning there along Low Lane to Horsforth Station and turning up Tinshill Lane. Being on fixed it was a bit of a grind. At the top I headed further up to Cookridge Tower and then swung down to cross the ring road at Lawnswood again and then down Otley Road to the lights at Shaw Lane. A left took me to Meanwood Road and then I was in towards the city center where I turned up through Harehills and up Easterly Road and back home. No dramas.

End to end it was 16.2 miles and 1200 ft. Fixed wheel.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/62043697

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
wutz w/ the 2 computers?
Ha! I thought someone would ask that! It all started when doing holiday rides in Europe, fitting a second trip computer displaying kms for navigational purposes rather than changing the display from miles to km, which is a bit of a fiddle.

I'm also a keen audaxer, and rather than using any kind of satnav, I prefer to follow the official Audax UK route instruction sheets when entering events. To the uninitiated, these can often look like heiroglyphics, with a strange short-hand kind of route instructions with turning points all listed by reference to precise kilometre (or kilometer in your case!) distances. Miss a turn and your instructions go haywire for the rest of the ride. If I use only a km display, I find my speed dwindles as I content myself that "20kph" sounds quite fast, but it is in fact little over 12mph. I try to cruise along at about 14-15 mph on longish distance rides. Sounds silly, but reading my speed in mph really makes a difference to my finishing times.

My two computers are calibrated identically, so are completely interchangeable, but I mostly ride with just the mileage display. Nowadays, my main reason for fitting the additional km display is simply to make sure ... on a challenge ride ... that if the battery in one computer goes flat, the other will still provide a reliable readout as proof of passage in the absence of any Strava data.

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
My first ride in ages due to one thing and another. It was also the first ride on my Spa in a while. I love this bike!

a dirty day for a figure of 8 ride from my house, down to Wembury, a quick stop at the beach. Then all the way up through the village to Knighton.

Along to Ridge Cross, Staddiscombe village (where I encountered a bell end in a car), down through Jennycliff and back through Plymstock.

ianbarton

Veteran
The weather yesterday morning looked promising. I set off from home not sure exactly where I was going to ride. After about five miles I decided to cycle via Prees Lower Heath to Wem. There was a slight head wind, which was good because it meant I would have a tailwind on the homeward leg. There wasn't much traffic along the B road leading to Wem. I cycled straight to the Coop to buy some food. I hope next time I come this way the cafes may be open again. I turned right up the steady gradient to Lowe. I did a bit of a dog leg at the cross roads to head towards Whixall. There was a bit of a flood just before the village hall, but it wasn't deep enough to cause a problem.

I carried on to Prees and up the short steep hill that leads to the Church. I pulled into the churchyard where there is a bench under the yew tree at the entrance. I sat down to eat my sandwich and drink my hot chocolate from the flask. A few cars pulled up to collect the children from behind the Church. I assume they were all key workers. After my rest, I cycled out of the village towards the A49 ignoring the road closed sign. It turned out that there were no roadworks and no sign of any other problem with the road. Crossing the A49 I soon branched off towards Ightfield. The looming grey sky started to drop a steady drizzle on me, which lasted all the way home.

Sheep eating the stubble turnips near to Ightfield.
IMG_20210129_145745.jpg

Small flood on the road into Ightfield.
IMG_20210129_145748.jpg

Top Bottom