Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
Managed a fashionably late entry into the Metric Century-a-Month Challenge today, taking advantage of a weather window to get a 105km (65 mile) ride in for January. Staying local, I headed out from Quedgeley to Eastington before making a bee-line for Arlingham. After that, I carried out a series of various sized loops in the triangular area in between those three places. First photo stop was at Stonebench, where the Severn was close to breaching its banks:
View attachment 571125
Next up, the riverbank at Arlingham, opposite Newnham-on-Severn:
View attachment 571126
Here's something you don't see every day ..... traffic on the A38 stopped because of a house dangling above the carriageway:
View attachment 571128
The weather was unseasonably mild and, in large parts, quite sunny. You can see the line of white houses on the hillside in the distance in the Forest of Dean ..... Cinderford in the sunlight:
View attachment 571129
After about 75km, with Swissrail timing I met up at the canal bridge with my mate Simon at exactly the agreed time, and we headed off for an obsolete canal crossing at Hardwicke:
View attachment 571130
After a bit of meandering around (including going back there again for Simon's sunglasses!), we headed off through Longney to take an unmetaled track that I'd never been down before, and which led to the point exactly opposite this on the other bank:
View attachment 571131
After that, we looped around through Longney, bringing up my 100km on the way. Nice to have some company for the final leg, which was at a very welcome leisurely pace. Back home and hosed now, and struggling to move after making short shrift of a roast chicken dinner, courtesy of Mrs Donger. Back in the game!
View attachment 571132
Cheers, Donger.
Great to see 👏👏

13 rider

Guru
Well what a rubbish month January 2021 has been even with a day left it's going to be my lowest mileage since March 2017 . Ive cut rides down to an hour or so to stay local and the snow and ice of Monday ,Tuesday saw my run of consecutive days cycling come to an end :sad:. Really wanted to get a 50km ride in but after my Saturday routine of an early good shop , got home and it's raining with a bit of snow and my motivation was dissappearing . Finally got out after lunch so my local Polly Botts loop it is .Made another attempt at going sub 4 mins for the Polly Botts climb. Full gas in the big ring but blew up after the right-hand bend where it kicks up . Recorded 4 mins 5 secs ,3 seconds of my pr .I bought a power meter last year as a pacing tool for a big ride that never happened :sad: . I am begining to now use it as a training tool so for you power geeks I averaged 307w for the climb which is 4.2w per kilo ,for you non power geeks it bloody hurt :laugh:. After a rest at the top to get my breath back I completed the rest of the loop mostly battling a headwind .14 miles done at 15.1 mph which was exactly 2mph slower than the last time I did the loop :surrender:

Last edited:

Fram

Turning point
DSC06876.JPG

C R

Guru
Finally managed a ride this month. After lunch the rain and sleet stopped, and other than it being cold and a bit windy it looked reasonable. Out with the intention of a spin round my Kempsey, Croome Wadborough loop. I wrapped up well, and warmed up quickly, and man, did it feel good to turn the pedals again, my last proper ride was on boxing Day!

As I turned in Kerswell Green I started having a bit of a headwind, and there was a lot of water running in from the fields in places. The wind gusts got worse past High Green, and I was having to push quite hard all the way to the top of Rebecca Rd. It was a bit easier to Wadborough, but there hit a snag, as there was a big flood on the lane to Stoulton, so had to go round to Drakes Broughton.

Finished the ride with about 16.5 miles in the clock, at a paltry 14.5 mph, but it felt great. See if I can manage that twice tomorrow to get an entry for the half century challenge.

AndreaJ

Veteran
After a couple of days of improving weather when I couldn’t ride because I was working we are back to rain, sleet and snow today with a cold wind to make it more miserable. My bike was fixed today and it finally stopped raining/snowing when I collected it from the LBS so just a short ride as it was getting late.
There is a lot of water around Shropshire at the moment so tried to avoid any big floods. Set off into the wind to Whixall as far as Hollinswood, up to Fenns Bank which wasn’t flooded although it often is, over the swing bridge to Alkington, Tilstock back to Alkington, Hollinswood, Stanley Green, Waterloo, Northwood and home. Lots of water about but nothing too deep so no wet feet. Unsurprisingly only saw 2 other people out. 17.2 miles.

I managed to complete a decent ride this month, and have started my 50k per month challeng, which is great for me.
It was a slow ride, but topped off with a 37mph downhill, (after the slow climb up Kennel Hill Lane!) which was exhilarating on the Genesis CDA30, my fastest so far on this bike.
Some good views around Goodwood racecourse, and a couple of ‘your bike in front of...’ images too.
E9865A06-B6A0-43D8-A353-84DD2DDB0572.png

A good start to the year, last years best was 46 miles, I’m hopeful to beat this in the summer, with a couple of 32 milers each month, if I can.
I am now isolating due to COVID, as I’ve been instructed to do so by NHS Test, Track and Trace. 🙁

chriswoody

Legendary Member
So after jealousy watching the rest of Germany under snow this winter it was finally our turn on Friday, with over 10hours of snowfall. Last night the temperatures were down to -12 and with clear blue skies this morning, I needed to get out into the forest. It had warmed up to a barmy -10 by the time I set off and the snow was firm and crisp. I'm running tubeless tires, so I'd dropped the pressure to 20 psi and they were gripping the snow really well. The first few kilometres were on fairly busy tracks which had been heavily walked on the previous day and the low temperatures had turned them into compacted ice. Before long I was seeking out the deeper snow to the sides and started to fly along.

Before long I was one quieter forest trails and the path was less compacted, the bike was handling beautifully and I was having an absolute ball.

After several kilometres in the depth of the forest with out a soul to be seen I emerged onto the track to Stedden.

My water bottle had almost frozen by this point and a pondered wether tea would have been better, or even gin to go with the ice! The streets of Stedden were iced over and I tiptoed gently through the village. On the other side I headed down to the Hydro Electric plant and crossed over the river there. The route swings around here and heads back towards home. Tarmac roads soon give way to gravel tracks buried under several centimetres of snow. i make good progress despite the snow, the bike skating and dancing on the icy surface, but never threatening to throw me off.

After riding through the next small village, it's back into the forest. Rather than take the direct line towards home, I turn to the South and start riding a lazy zig-zag route through the forest. In clear weather it provides some amazing singletrack riding, dipping and twisting between the pines. Today the added challenge was finding the way under the blanket of snow. One of the turn off's is signposted by the tracks of a deer in the soft snow, other than that i'm the only soul to have been this way.

The wheels sink in several centimetres before finding traction and I change up the cassette as I power on through. The forest is eerily silent as I weave and twist between the trees, all too soon the track ends at a major pathway which is all iced up. Thankfully I only follow this for a few hundred metres before diving back off into the canopy and onto little travelled trails.

Again, the snow is tugging at my wheels, providing lots of resistance and my muscles are burning from the workout. Several kilometres later the fun finally draws to an end as I emerge from the forest and out onto the streets near home. A few more kilometres of sketchy icy paths await before I pull into my garden, after possibly one of the most enjoyable rides I can remember. Overall I rode 28km through the snowy forests, the bike was impeccable, a real delight to ride and the weather was sublime. A perfect Winters day.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Zero degrees when we set off this morning so opted for a steady but lumpy route to keep warm. A quick stop at Thorner Church to take a pic. Longest ride so far this year 33 miles with an average of 14.1 mph.

Last edited:

geocycle

Legendary Member
Got out for a flattish 35 miles to reach my monthly target. Freezing cold wind and ice in the gutters. Tentatively explored a few of my usual minor roads only to encounter frozen streams across the road so immediately switched back to the gritted routes. Made it to Kirkby Lonsdale and the beautiful Ruskin's View. Turner painted the view across the Lune and Ruskin described it as one of the best in England. Came back on the normally hostile A road enjoying a little lockdown serenity.

Last edited:

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Family MTB ride! Started all jolly and happy especially when we found an unexpectedly open cafe after 12 miles for sausage sarnies and hot drinks!

Things took a turn for the colder on the way home when it started snowing! Slightly bleak and grim on the Ridgeway but felt very gnarly as we rolled into the village, 24 miles later!

Attachments

• CD7D98B2-9547-4562-A32D-ADE5E5B01777.jpeg
    CD7D98B2-9547-4562-A32D-ADE5E5B01777.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 2
  • C1C3FCF3-30AE-4F05-BE59-B86673D5A1FC.jpeg
    C1C3FCF3-30AE-4F05-BE59-B86673D5A1FC.jpeg
    351.1 KB · Views: 3
  • C5933886-22FB-4D55-979A-EEB4AEC82A1B.jpeg
    C5933886-22FB-4D55-979A-EEB4AEC82A1B.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 4DA55161-DBB5-43A5-A395-3C6883FD7DDF.jpeg
    4DA55161-DBB5-43A5-A395-3C6883FD7DDF.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 2
So after jealousy watching the rest of Germany under snow this winter it was finally our turn on Friday, with over 10hours of snowfall. Last night the temperatures were down to -12 and with clear blue skies this morning, I needed to get out into the forest. It had warmed up to a barmy -10 by the time I set off and the snow was firm and crisp. I'm running tubeless tires, so I'd dropped the pressure to 20 psi and they were gripping the snow really well. The first few kilometres were on fairly busy tracks which had been heavily walked on the previous day and the low temperatures had turned them into compacted ice. Before long I was seeking out the deeper snow to the sides and started to fly along.

View attachment 571363

View attachment 571368

Before long I was one quieter forest trails and the path was less compacted, the bike was handling beautifully and I was having an absolute ball.

View attachment 571366

After several kilometres in the depth of the forest with out a soul to be seen I emerged onto the track to Stedden.

View attachment 571367

My water bottle had almost frozen by this point and a pondered wether tea would have been better, or even gin to go with the ice! The streets of Stedden were iced over and I tiptoed gently through the village. On the other side I headed down to the Hydro Electric plant and crossed over the river there. The route swings around here and heads back towards home. Tarmac roads soon give way to gravel tracks buried under several centimetres of snow. i make good progress despite the snow, the bike skating and dancing on the icy surface, but never threatening to throw me off.

View attachment 571369
After riding through the next small village, it's back into the forest. Rather than take the direct line towards home, I turn to the South and start riding a lazy zig-zag route through the forest. In clear weather it provides some amazing singletrack riding, dipping and twisting between the pines. Today the added challenge was finding the way under the blanket of snow. One of the turn off's is signposted by the tracks of a deer in the soft snow, other than that i'm the only soul to have been this way.
View attachment 571364

The wheels sink in several centimetres before finding traction and I change up the cassette as I power on through. The forest is eerily silent as I weave and twist between the trees, all too soon the track ends at a major pathway which is all iced up. Thankfully I only follow this for a few hundred metres before diving back off into the canopy and onto little travelled trails.

View attachment 571365

Again, the snow is tugging at my wheels, providing lots of resistance and my muscles are burning from the workout. Several kilometres later the fun finally draws to an end as I emerge from the forest and out onto the streets near home. A few more kilometres of sketchy icy paths await before I pull into my garden, after possibly one of the most enjoyable rides I can remember. Overall I rode 28km through the snowy forests, the bike was impeccable, a real delight to ride and the weather was sublime. A perfect Winters day.
Stunning photos! Proper camera?

Top Bottom