Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
Winter weather has meant walking for the last few days, on my Annual Leave, but a thaw overnight enabled a ride out with Doug, today.

Much milder than recently and only a fairly gentle South Westerly breeze, which I was cycling into as far as the meet up point. We headed up Lyth Hill, where the car park was quite busy with people having a walk.

View towards the Stretton Hills

We had a very short section on the A49, which was still long enough for 2 unnecessary close passes from vans....before enjoying the wind assisted downhill run into Condover. From there we climbed up to Wheathall and along the sandy lane, to the bottom of Ryton. Hardly ever see a soul along there, but today saw 7 people walking and 1 runner.

The road to Longnor was a muddy and wet mess, but at least the 1 flood had just about parted in the middle, to save any danger of getting wet feet. From Longnor we enjoyed the wind behind us to Frodesley, but had to negotiate roadworks on what appears to be a collapsing bridge over the brook! They’ve just created a ramp of tarmac, for now, to presumably attempt to strengthen it, but the “weak structure” sign suggests that will be a full scale replacement needed at some stage soon.

The downhill sections to Acton Burnell and Pitchford were good, but the fast section into the dip was tempered by a flood at the bottom. We then climbed up to Cantlop, before enjoying the mostly downhill section to Betton Abbots and parted ways by my estate.

20.4 miles at a leisurely 11.2mph avg and good to catch up with Doug.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
A lovely day today, 9° And a bit of blue sky! Out on the Paul Hewitt at midday for a steady ride out towards York. Not the usual route as Cawood bridge is still closed due to flooding.
I’ve been walking a lot recently, I’m not sure it makes any difference to my cycling legs but I definitely feel a little fitter😁
26.6 miles with an average of 15mph.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
We now have temperatures in single figures and all the ice and snow has vanished. I was late away today so headed out in traditional fashion bumping into Mike and Mary J on Hook Bank. It was lovely to chat as lockdown is limiting such interactions. Spring must be close as the snowdrops are here. Up on Woolridge the extent of the flooding in the valley was very evident. I dropped down to take a closer view before taking the dodge over Wickridge Street. I was able to get to the higher part of the Hams as the water had receded a little at Chaceley Church. Mists were forming over the low lying fields as I began my trek away from the river lands. My lights went on as the light faded. I quite like a crepuscular ride. 51 smiles.

1611777873576.png

1611777892017.png

Last edited:
kudos to you all

I must admit, riding after work, is more appealing when it's not winter. Spring, Summer & Fall it's all good. then I get excited that it's getting darker & night riding is fun. but now, bringing the extra clothing to work & dealing with the weather ..., not so much. don't get me wrong, I like winter riding & actually love gearing up like a SCUBA diver, but on a Saturday please, when I have all my stuff at home & can take my leisurely time getting ready

it snowed yesterday & I didn't prepare. then when I got home I thought about "doing the dance" but it was a wet snow & I already did a wet storm ride this year. couldn't get motivated

with fresh snow on the ground (but not deep) & frigid temps this weekend, I'm hoping to get back out there!

gavgav

Guru
The overnight monsoon had passed through and so I decided to head out and make the most of the mild weather, no fleece needed and back in fingerless gloves for the first time in what seems like months, hoping the floods wouldn’t be too bad.........hmmmm.

Set out through the nearby estate and along the old railway path, crossing the Reabrook which was back out of its banks again and looked like a brown torrent, down below. Took the cycle paths up to Heathgates and along the first stretch of Whitchurch Rd, to then find gas works in the way and so had to drop off the kerb, to mix it with the busy traffic heading towards the nearby retail parks......all essential journeys of course....:whistle:

Continued through Sundorne and then along the old canal path to Uffington, where I rejoined the roads and began mixing it with the floods. First 2 were encountered on the road to Upton Magna, 1 not too bad, the other a bit deeper than I thought and created a bigger bow wave than I hoped, meaning wet legs.

I then turned and climbed up East Haughmond, finding floods all along to the junction that I wanted, but could negotiate around them via the small bit of tarmac on the other side of the road, that was still visible. The downhill section to Somerwood and Rodington Heath, with the strong wind behind me, was really fast and enjoyable, before I arrived at Rodington Heath, where the road on to Walcot was closed for works, but that didn’t bother me, as I was taking the lane back around to Upton Magna.

I turned into said lane, to find a flood sign and could see it in front, but managed to freewheel through it, just and continued on to find another one which was around a bend. Not knowing how far it stretched, I decided to try the freewheel option again and, as I steered around the bend, knew I was in big trouble, with it being huge!! It was too deep for a bike as well and I promptly came to a stop, with the bike starting to float :eek: and a choice of getting very wet feet or falling off. I chose the wet feet option, walking the bike to the verge and then wading through a mixture of water and mud until I got to the other end.

The bike was a right mess now, with a mixture of mud, gravel and grass hanging off it, but I pressed on to then find hedge cuttings strewn all across the lane, until I got to the crossroads and could see another big flood ahead:cry:. Not fancying another soaking, I turned left and hoped the bigger Withington to Upton Magna road would be better, which it was, with just 1 smaller flood to negotiate.

Thankfully the next section to Berwick Wharf and Atcham was flood free and I paused on the old bridge, to get rid of some sand, gravel and grass from the wheels and mudguards.

River Severn is just about in its banks at Atcham, but rising again.

I took the road to Cressage, with Chilton Farm lane still closed and flooded, to find the road subsiding on the short steep hill and a torrent of water running down the subsidence, which can’t be doing it any good and I would suggest it won’t be long before it undermines the road enough to have to close it.

The short section on the A458 was quiet and then I joined lanes to Berrington and Kingstreet crossroads, 1 more small flood negotiated, before the road to Betton Abbots and basically riding through what amounted to near enough a river, due to water pouring off the fields, to the extent I’ve never seen before along there.

Arrived home with very wet feet and a feeling that the ride was probably one of the most attritional I’d ever done!!

22.27 miles at 11.6mph avg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
As @gavgav has already mentioned it's dry and relatively mild here after being pretty wet overnight (I really hope the concrete I laid yesterday afternoon isn't ruined :unsure:) so I took the chance to get out. Just the regular Longnor-Acton Burnell-Harnage-Cross Houses route so not imaginative but it does allow for easy racking up of miles.

I went over Lyth Hill at the start for a bit of extra distance then dropped down to Hunger Hill and Condover which both showed the signs of how much rain came down. Reaching Ryton the wind was drying the road in patches and showed tracks from a couple of cyclists who I judged couldn't be very far ahead. I caught sight of them part way along the lane to Longnor just before reaching the first proper flood of the trip. They got through so I knew I could, but it was almost up to the bottom bracket at the deepest point and I did splash a bit of water inside my boots.

After that bit of wading, I overtook the two riders (they were going slow in order to chat) and, after changing direction at Longnor, picked up a good tailwind that helped to Acton Burnell. I'd caught sight of another rider ahead on the climb to Frodesley and was able to catch and pass him too in Acton Burnell.^_^ Turning past Concord College there was another flood on the way to Cound Moor. I got through it alright but got more water into the boots. At least I haven't completely dunked them as I've done in the past.

Through Harnage, Cound and up to the main road was fairly uneventful as I like it. The A458 seemed quiet so I stayed on it into Cross Houses before turning towards Berrington, which saved a bit of riding into the wind. I did have to ride into it as I headed along Lyons Lane to Condover and on this stretch I could see rain that appeared to be heading my way so I took the shorter way back along the main road.

25.1 miles at 13.1 mph average. I needed that ride.

The first flood which extended further than it appears in the photo.

White van man tackles the flood at Acton Burnell. I'm glad he didn't come along while I was going through it myself.:ohmy:

With apologies for the slightly drunken angle; It looks a bit wet over there. Time to make a dash for home..

colly

Re member eR
I got up later than intended so my ride had to be a short one.
It was damp at 6.45 but not raining, and it was warm. No gloves warm.
I had about 30 mins and no more so local roads it had to be. After two loops around the block l needed a change so l passed the clock at Oakwood and took Park Avenue, which not surprisingly , went into the park. Roundhay Park.
Down to the cafe which sits on the edge of Waterloo Lake. Skirting the car park and up through the park out of the trees to pass The Mansion and emerging opposite Tropical World. A left took me back to the clock and a short up along Oakwood Lane and home.
I don't know why but a trip through the park on the bike is a rare event for me. I'll do it more often l think, especially if I'm going local and it's early before it gets busy. Pretty much 30 mins exact l think.

All in it was 7.5 miles and 632 ft of up. Fixed wheel.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/62009399

Last edited:
Top Bottom