Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
First sight of sunshine since last Sunday, so out for a relaxed ride of two halves.

The first part was a Tour de Felixstowe which showed the two different aspects of the area, with a bit added shopping and some free chocolate. Starting off by heading to the northerly part of Felixstowe - the old fishing hamlet of Felixstowe Ferry (now also home to the local sailing club)
Felixstowe Ferry.JPG

From there I headed south, stopping off at Mum's for a quick cup of coffee & a catch up and leaving with some leftover chocolates from Christmas, then along the seafront & through town to the southerly part of Felixstowe Dock's public viewing area where the ships are the complete opposite of those at the Ferry
Felixstowe Dock - Ever Given.JPG

Another quick stop, this time at Lidl for some shopping, then home, put away the shopping, than back out for the second part of the ride into the countryside of Nacton, Levington, Bucklesham and Kirton
Innocence Lane.JPG

Quite breezy in the open areas, and some of the back roads still had some quite deep water after the recent wet weather, but it was just what I needed after a fairly heavy week at work.
1610923032877.png
1610923057546.png

colly

Re member eR
Early morning loops around the block.
Oakwood Lane, Roundhay Road, Easterly Road. x10 It became zen like after about number 4. Boring as f**k too.

21.9 miles and just under 1900 ft of up. Fixed wheel.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/61612510

Old jon

Guru
At last, a ride out! Hasn’t the weather been orrible? Though it cannot have all the blame, bits of life have hindered pedalling as well. And it was raining this morning, but me and the Spa went off to explore some close to home loops.

And some new roadworks that have closed rather a lot of roads around here while I have not been looking. Adds to the fun. So even the usual trawl through Holbeck has changed, that bit of Jack Lane is closed. Follow the signs and see where they take me. Past the old library, but I wanted a video of that today and this approach is not the best. No matter, I will pass roughly this way again this morning.

Ride to Top Moor Side, after that turn right onto Elland Road, yup I am going past the football ground. And more roadworks. Turn left at the Ring Road and left again onto the A653 and the rise to Tommy Wass ( a pub). And oh dear, things then become complicated. I am riding suburban roads, even worse, South Leeds suburban roads. But there is a hill, Beeston Hill, which has three fairly steep ways up. Crow Nest Lane is one of them, and it deserves the name.

The library is more or less at the bottom of all this, so I passed it a couple more times on this morning’s little ride, and did the video. Rain on the lens here and there, and at the end the King’s Arms is seen. Very much tidier looking than it used to be, if the chance arises I will go back for a few drinks there. Twenty miles is enough for a grin, it was so good to be out, and the garthing said 1234 feet of going up. Pretty good.

Mind, I agree with @colly about the loops.

And the elevation trace, little lumps,

1801elev.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I seemed to be in demand to help with things today so didn't get out until mid afternoon with a forecast of rain due any time. Over Lyth Hill and a meander round the lanes seemed the best option as there were ways to cut it short if it did turn wet.

The car parks at Lyth Hill were more full today but fewer people walking along the lanes making me think that they were also planning round the weather. I dropped down through Great Lyth to Exford's Green then took the indirect route to Plealey, heading for Arscott Hall and the little lane that cuts back across. Unlike last time I saw two people along here :ohmy: it must be rush hour.:laugh:

From Plealey the climb up to Oaks was long and plodding. Nobody out walking on this lane but I was passed by a handful of vehicles before reaching Wrentnall. The main road to Longden Common was good with a long descent and a tailwind, then I turned onto Long Lane and got along it much quicker going in this direction. While writing this I realised I'd meant to turn off and take the lane that comes out on the Stapleton road but was enjoying scooting along at speed so much I completely forgot.:rolleyes: I'll do it another time.

Retracing my steps through Exford's Green I got along quicker even though the wind direction wasn't particularly favourable, then at the crossroads took a right for Annscroft and climbed Lyth Hill again from that side.

A lumpy 17.5 miles at 11.6 mph average. Light rain started to fall as I was putting the bike away, so that was well timed.^_^

No photos this time.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Out into a rather cool draggy headwind. Roadworks at Birt's St began a theme. Another road closed at Tillers Green was followed by yet another at Rushall. I'd been allowed through so far but another road closed at Putley Green prompted me to take the Aylton loop for a change. Not been that way for an age. I bumped into Mark B at Munsley so we had a bit of a catch up. Then more roadworks just below Pegs Farm. That wind helped me northward to Longley Green but it was a slog back into it from Newland. 52 smiles

AndreaJ

Veteran
I’m starting to get fed up with wet, muddy lanes covered in hedge cuttings now and it was a bit of an effort to drag myself out today. It was actually a nice morning but not much time to spare so just a short ride.
Set off towards Loppington with a slight detour into the village, over the crossroads to Brown Heath before turning up to Colemere which looked quieter today, more hedge cuttings on the lane past Newtonmere and had to duck to avoid some low flying pheasants coming out of the hedge, onto the Ellesmere road to Welshampton, Breadon Heath, Bettisfield, Northwood and home. 15.8 miles, not as many people about today despite it being a sunny morning.

Based on the forecast I went out this morning while SWMBO was still in bed (lockdown has messed with her sleep patterns!!)

I'm kinda trying to avoid the normal canal paths due to having to pass people a close quarters and I fed up with the old airport route now there are so few planes taking off and landing
so I went up to Dream in St Helens (who made that and didn;t realise it looks like a k***????) and then back a weird way
got kinda lost but that is how I like to ride - ended up on a cycle path which ended up on a country road with some dog walkers on it - apparently it was in Rainhill
Ok I know where that is - but $deity knows how I ended up back in Cronton - but then it was an easy ride downhill back home

apparently it was mostly uphill on the way out

Ebikes are GREAT

annoying thing is that the mileage counters said 20 miles but Strava said 19.7something
Huh
I'll call it 20

colly

Re member eR
A wet day was forecast. Sure enough it was wet out, but not so much as the weatherman suggested. It was damp underfoot and a few spots of rain here and there.
So out I went, and it was fine. Out through Cross Gates and Garforth, then on to Sherburn where the few drips of rain became more than just a few drips. Rather than press on to Cawood I turned for Taddy and skirted the town by going through Stutton. Fields either side of the road were sodden and the roadside ditches were full almost to overflowing. The rain had set in now and I was pleased I was headed in the direction of home.
Bramham came and went and by the time I had got to Thorner the wind and now heavy rain were taking their toll. My legs were cold and wet which is never a good feel but what bothered me more was that so were my hands. Climing up Sandhills out of Thorner every heave on the bars brought a wet, squelchy cold feel between my fingers.
Pleased to get back home but also pleased I had managed a good ride despite the weather.

31.8 miles and 1000ft of up. Fixed wheel.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/61689782

iandg

Legendary Member
A couple of laps of the Ae Forest blue trail - plus a little bit extra on a dead end path because I've never done it before and I had this "wonder what it's like up there?" urge. The excursion was cut short by forestry work but it wasn't really worth the effort anyway (except for the view over towards Mitchellslacks and the Lowther Hills on the return).

on the return) :smile:

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
After a heavy overnight frost, I waited until lunchtime and then headed out to get a ride in before the forecast rain that was due to arrive at 4pm........Most routes were flooded and closed, around Shrewsbury, so I headed South.

It was a struggle into the wind, to Hook a Gate and Annscroft, on the busy main road, then onto Plealey, where I turned and began the long hard climb up to Oaks. The bottom junction was covered in, mud, sand, stones and general debris, which suggested the water had been running down the hill like a river, on Tuesday evening, when the storm came through.

I paused at the top and enjoyed the lovely views over South Shropshire. Still some snow left on the hills and verges where I’d paused, from the blizzard that had followed the rain.

The descent down to Stapleton Common was nice, with the wind behind me, speed only interrupted by slowing for 2 ladies walking, who eventually moved aside after the 4th ding of my bell, with an apology and startled look of shock on their faces!

I called in on Dad, for a catch up and had only been there for 15 minutes when it started to pour down outside. Only 2&1/2 hours earlier than the forecast! So it was a longer stop than I had intended, but it eventually dried up and the rain radar suggested a dry interlude, so I set back off again into the now bitterly cold air, that rain had really dropped the temperature.

Route home was via Gonsal, Condover, Betton Abbots and along the very busy road to my estate, probably carrying the traffic that can’t get through Shrewsbury town centre due to the severe Floods. I feel so sorry for the people who have only just recovered from a similar flood 12 months ago.

19.23 miles at 11.5 mph avg and bang on 1000ft of climbing.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Nice sunny but cold weather. It had frozen in the night so I kept a wary eye out. There was ice in some spots but generally pretty safe. I headed over to Knightwick via Suckley. The Teme here had burst its banks. Luke B spotted me as he went past so pulled over for a chat. Nice catch up and some interesting news that Clive B is living nearby now. On over to Martley lead me to take the Wichenford Ockeridge loop. I headed for Camp Lane and took in the views alongside a Buzzard as I ate my sarnie. Down in the Teme Valley the river was within its banks but at Shelsey Beauchamp flooding prevented me getting across the bridge. So I retraced to cross at Stanford Bridge and take the lane back to the Newmill Bridge which I couldn't access before. Onward the crossing at Ham Bridge was fine with the river raging beneath. I took the flattish run back from Martley to find everything flooded at Bransford though the bridge was fine. It was obvious that my usual lane from The Fox would be very submerged so I diverted to get across to Bastonford and the run back. Nice outing but those hills feel hard. 57 smiles

Top Bottom