Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I've been getting out regularly, alternating cycling and walking. Today was a short, fast ride on the fun bike, the weather being a bit kinder.
A fraction under 40km in 1hr 37min and around 400m of climbing (flattish for round here).

13 rider

Guru
It's been a tough few months so it's really good to get a bike out of the shed and actually ride somewhere. A bit of fettling this morning and a ride out this afternoon, just like old times.

I lost November to Covid, December was a recovering washout and so far January has just been too cold or wet. I made a short 16k loop through Woodeaton and thought that was quite enough for the first time out. What I did notice was a total loss of condition on my part - having to go two or even three gears down from previously on a couple of the climbs. I'm sure it will come back but it was quite noticeable, and so was the slowest time ever on Strava for that loop. Onwards and upwards as they say.
Your back in the bike that's all that's matters ,fitness will come

AndreaJ

Veteran
Another shorter local ride today and definitely warmer than it had been lately. Set off to Northwood turning across to Foxholes, Paddolgreen, Creamore into Wem where I followed a teenager in a hoodie riding a bike on the wrong side of the road into the traffic while playing on his phone! He did move back to the correct side briefly before veering back across, somehow no one hit him and I got past him to carry on to the railway crossing just in time for the barriers to come down which can mean a very long wait but luckily not today, carried on to Aston passing lots of walkers through to Barkers Green, the other side of Wem, Tilley, Myddle, Burlton, English Frankton, Lyneal , Northwood and home passing most of our village out walking on the lane back home. 24.49 miles.
Picture of 2 Shetland ponies in the sun.

To be honest they'll all cope with a bit of rain - some treatment when they've dried out brings the looks back
jinxed myself. yesterday thought the rain was over & thought my body would shield my Brooks if there was a brief dying shower. but got off the bike to check out a waterfall when rain started again in earnest

ACTP0936 (2).jpg

contemplated keeping the cover on, but said nah, won't need it. famous last words. wiped it off w/ some paper towels I had w/ me & carried on for another cpl hours. the rain stopped after about 15 minutes & after the ~20 mile ride it didn't look bad

ACTP1088 (2).jpg

wound up being a nice quiet day on the trail

ACTP0983 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Mondays rain had washed the snow and ice away to allow the ebike a trip into town on Tuesday only for a further day of rain on Wednesday and the return of snow on Thursday to an even greater extent.
This morning the snow and ice looked to have melted sufficiently to permit use of the ebike for a 9 mile 685ft upwards Morrisons shopping trip - not exactly the easiest to gauge as residents (socially distanced) gang together to clear the road (I assume it counted as daily exercise) otherwise given its grades and curvature no one would get out in a vehicle, while the next road had been cleared by the bus company as N Yorks Council cannot be bothered to do it any longer and then a road presumably treated by them, not serving England biggest county very well yet again.
Decided to keep to the main roads so up the hill on the A61 Ripon Road only to spy standing traffic; initial route away from the A61 was fine other than one short street that was a case of weaving between the ice patches. Thereafter on main or other well used roads and there were a few other cyclists about.

Last edited:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Out to sunny Playford today - to make up for the slush-fest I struggled through yesterday.
Pausing to take a photograph, I said hello to a couple cycling past on their matching bikes. I was ignored. Oh, well, never mind, carry on, Jon.
I overtook them through the village. Ignored again.
As I begun climbing the rather steep (for Suffolk) hill out of Playford, I caught sight of his shadow as he approached. I accelerated. So did he. I accelerated some more. So did he. Once more into the beech, dear friends, I accelerated, but a few seconds later, I gave up before my heart did. He cycled past.
And ignored me.
As did she.
I glanced down at her bicycle.
It was an eBike ... :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, chapeau to the chap I saw on a vintage-looking penny-farthing! He looked like he was having fun.

Suffolk in Winter:

P1010536.JPG

13 rider

Guru
Set off this morning to get a longer ride in . Out the door at 0830 into to chilly but sunny conditions . Downhill from home turned towards Cropston at the island and I caught sight of 2 riders coming from Leicester . They soon caught me and past me the rider at the back was breathing hard they slowed slightly and soon I had caught them up and followed them at a good 2mts . They had slowed to a pace that was holding me up but fast enough to make passing difficult so I waited to the incline into Cropston accelerated and dropped them with ease :becool:. They were never seen again .Around the back of Bradgate park along the rolling road up past the golf course up to Beacon crossroads left here then right onto Charley rd left up the end and a steady climb up to Copt Oak the highest point of the loop and down it's mainly downhill to home ,Fast descent into Markfield then another fast decent into Newtown Linford and home which I went straight past and repeated the above 3 more times to clock up 64 miles and get a metric century on the board for 2021 . With 4500ft of upness it was a hilly ride and each loop seemed to get harder as the feet added up still managed 15.5mph was happy with the effort . Mentally the 4th loop was really tough as by now I knew what was coming . After yesterday ride were I didn't see another rider loads out today and dissapointly a few in groups of four or more :angry:

Last edited:

geocycle

Legendary Member
A damp local 30 miles got me up Jubilee Tower, one of the longer climbs nearby. Total climbing of 780m. Great to get out and enjoy some of the moorland lanes again now the ice has gone. Curlews calling And buzzards soaring were the accompaniment.

Although I miss riding to the Dales and lakes I am fortunate to have some great local rides, something to be thankful for.

colly

Re member eR
After the snow came the sun. Well sort of. It was above freezing this morning and a lot of the standing snow has melted, but not all of it. Across the footpaths where the sun doesn't hit the layer of crushed snow has frozen and is now covered with a slick of water. Lowest coefficient of friction of anything. So the ride this morning was spent mostly well away from walkers and runners using the edge of the carridgeway. I can't say I blame them.
I had to take it steady all round because of the amount of grit and gravel in the road, no punctures but a couple of slips at left hand corners where the gravel had built up on the inside of the bend. Could have been nasty, but wasn't.
So not too far and not too fast. The intention was to do more miles but once out and underway the prospect of more miles didn't seem so inviting.

14.1 miles and 1050 ft of up. Fixed wheel.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/61564143

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Having failed to get out yesterday, even though I could have, I made sure not to repeat the error today. A bit of a blast round my Longnor - Acton Burnell - Harnage loop should help to get me out of my lethargy so that's what I went for.

I chose the main road route out of the village which I've not done for a while and caught a nice gap in the traffic meaning I didn't have to stop at the junction. I was riding into a gentle headwind to start with which I knew would help a little later on.

Condover and Ryton were passed without much to report other than seeing a couple of cyclists. I could see from tracks in the muddy surface of the lane to Longnor that there had been quite a few cyclists out today. Reaching Longnor I picked up the tailwind I'd been looking forward to and after a slow start the speed picked up nicely on the quiet road to Frodesley and Acton Burnell where I took the turning to Cound Moor and Harnage. There wasn't much motor traffic along any of these lanes and in fact there were more people out walking, running or cycling.

The Union Jack was flying at Cound this time. After passing through the village I decided to vary the route by turning towards Pitchford, then at Cantlop I carried on down the hill, overCantlop Bridge and shortly after took the lane to Boreton which I haven't ridden for a while. Cound Brook is fast flowing at the ford so I took the footbridge then joined the road to Condover. With the wind being in a favourable direction for it I thought I'd head home via the main road which wasn't a bad choice this time. Although the A49 was quieter than usual I did still get a pass that was a bit closer than I'd like - ironically from a car with a cycle carrier on the back.:rolleyes:

24.1 miles this time at a very respectable 13.7 mph average. Fairly quick for the knockabout bike, especially on winter ride.^_^ 12 cyclists seen in all which is the most I've seen for a few rides. Plenty more people walking but enough room for all to keep their distance.

Just the one snapshot today from the viewpoint at Ryton.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
The Pubs With No Beer Tour: Nipped out with my buddy Simon ....

today to follow the West bank of the Severn to the outskirts of Tewkesbury and back, taking in our usual pub stops ... except of course none of them are open now due to lockdown. First came the Boat Inn at Ashleworth, where the Severn was pretty full ...

Then we headed off for the Yew Tree at Chaceley, passing the bird hides on the Hams on the way. There were still plenty of flooded meadows on the Hams, with large flocks of greylags and Canada geese taking off and flying overhead, making a cacophony as they did so. I also counted eleven swans in a field to my left.

The last pub detour was to the Lower Lode Inn near Forthampton.

In the above shot, you can see just how close to Tewkesbury we were, though it would have required a further 6 or 7 miles to get there by road. In the distance you can see the tip of Tewkesbury Abbey .... better seen in this shot:

We did a straight retrace on the way back, though cutting out the dead end detours to the first two pubs. More wildfowl watching on the way. It was like a trip to Slimbridge WWT but without an entrance fee.

With a short sharp climb up over the Woolridge on the way out and again on the return leg, Simon met his match. I could tell I'd put on a bit of weight over Christmas, but not enough to make me get off and walk. The weather stayed dry and stayed above 2 degrees, making this a great little 33 miler in my favourite conditions. The best bit of wildlife was the most unlikely of deer sightings in a bit of scrubland next to the Gloucester Western Bypass between the sewage works and the Covid testing station. That deer must have either crossed both the M5 and the A38 as well as the Gloucester & Sharpness Canal and quite a chunk of the city of Gloucester, or else swam across the Severn from the West. It never ceases to amaze me how they find their way to the most unlikely places .I hope it can find its way back.
Cheers, Donger.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
My first 2021 outing on the bike today. After a difficult end to last year I'm nowhere near fit enough to do 100 miles in anything resembling comfort, and perhaps it was time for a different sort of cycling year anyway.

I did a varied 32 miles, testing out a different way of leaving Gloucester, which had some nice parts after leaving the city, but the bit before needs perfecting!

There were lots of walkers and cyclists throughout, all seemingly friendly, happy to be outside on a reasonably fine day with no risk of slipping on ice, and as far as I could see behaving perfectly correctly. So altogether an uplifting experience. And I feel as though I've had a proper ride. :smile:

gavgav

Guru
Met up with my mate Paul, for the first time since mid November, for a ride. He’d been out of action since then, due to a badly dislocated toe from playing football!!

We met at the traffic lights and did a repeat, mostly, of the route that I did with Doug, earlier in the week, along the roads through Betton Abbots, Berrington, Cross Houses, Atcham, Upton Magna and Uffington.

We then found the old canal path very busy with walkers and cyclists, so were glad to get onto Sundorne Rd and then along the cycle paths to Meole, where we parted ways.

Paul got on ok and no effects from the toe, which was good. Nice to have a good chat to him and roads weren’t too bad, traffic about but all well behaved. Plenty of cyclists out today as well and all looked happy to be away from the four walls for a bit.

15.56 miles at 11.6mph avg.

Top Bottom