Cycling in snow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Can go one better than that.

davidphilips

Veteran
Really like that big back light,is it 4 wheel drive? If so it might be better in the snow than most cars?

classic33

Leg End Member
Really like that big back light,is it 4 wheel drive? If so it might be better in the snow than most cars?
Just the two.

The light came off an electric luggage wagon that would later appear in Casualty. The squeaking of the three nuts as they were being undone was worse than chalk on a blackboard, so I was told.

bagpuss

Guru
As with other posters on here . I used to ride to work daily in all weathers including snow and ice ,no speical tyres, avoided braking if possible.Been off a few times due to ice .
Rule of common sense now applied ,took more than 60 years mined .
Plus cracking bones as i get older has lost any appeal . The NHS has enough on its plate at the moment without me adding to it .

Last edited:

freiston

Veteran
I like riding in snow but when the cars and trucks have compacted it down and given it a shine, or it has turned to slush (and iced up again), it's not so much fun. What makes it worse is cars and trucks getting too close, not giving enough room to let me read and ride the road according to the snow and ice (especially where I can't see the edge of the road and the verge for the snow).

I couldn't resist a trip out on Sunday, the day it came down ^_^

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Since my latest n+1 purchase was a Fatbike, I have had a renewed enthusiasm for riding in the White stuff. :hyper:

hoopdriver

Guru

I used to love to ride on frosty mornings, but a couple of painful, shoulder-damaging tumbles over the past couple of years on unsighted slippery patches has cured me of that. I don't bounce like I used to. Nevertheless I braved the risks to capture this wintery image on a lane near Wartling, East Sussex.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I like riding in snow but when the cars and trucks have compacted it down and given it a shine, or it has turned to slush (and iced up again), it's not so much fun. What makes it worse is cars and trucks getting too close, not giving enough room to let me read and ride the road according to the snow and ice (especially where I can't see the edge of the road and the verge for the snow).

I couldn't resist a trip out on Sunday, the day it came down ^_^
View attachment 570747

Same as me, best ridden whilst the snow is fresh

GuyBoden

Guru
Snow and ice certainly test your bike handling skills. My policy is don't brake and slow down a huge distance from any corner. My wife fell off on ice last week, I kept telling her, what ever you do don't brake, just steer your way out of trouble. She forgot, pulled the front brake (worse brake in ice) and promptly fell off, luckily just a bruised knee.

Top Bottom