Cycling in Wales

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
It's hilly. HTH.

young Ed

Veteran
with out even looking at post code i can tell you, there will be mountains! or at least large hills, and you can't avoid them
then again if like me you like a good climb no worries :thumbsup:
Cheers Ed

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Not sure what you want to know, it's Ceredigion which is the next coastal county up from me, Pembrokeshire, haven't done much riding there have driven through there on a number of occasions. As has been said it's hilly, but stunning, I'd love to ride the coast road up to Aberystwyth one day, the hills are magnificent and the views are incredible, more than that I can't help.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Not sure what you want to know, it's Ceredigion which is the next coastal county up from me, Pembrokeshire, haven't done much riding there have driven through there on a number of occasions. As has been said it's hilly, but stunning, I'd love to ride the coast road up to Aberystwyth one day, the hills are magnificent and the views are incredible, more than that I can't help.
I have a friend that has a house there so thought I might take a peek with the bike . As I live in London and have no idea about the area I thought I would ask about it . No point taking the road bike if its all dirt tracks is there .

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I have a friend that has a house there so thought I might take a peek with the bike . As I live in London and have no idea about the area I thought I would ask about it . No point taking the road bike if its all dirt tracks is there .
We do have tarmaced roads in wales.......it is the 21st century after all, tarmac doesnt stop when you leave londominium :thumbsup:

theclaud

Openly Marxist

A lot of the A487 isn't nice riding IMO. Very busy, fairly twisty and hilly single carriageway stuff with lots of double white lines. I'm pretty tough about traffic but it feels like relentless harassment, especially if you are feeling tired and slow. The Cambrian Mountains are nice - there are only a handful of roads across them IIRC, but most of those are pretty, with lakes, character-building climbs and suitably rewarding views. The area between them and the coast is not my favourite kind of riding - attractive enough but relentlessly up-and-downy in a way that saps your energy without allowing you to settle into a rhythm, enjoy the height gained, or indulge in long swoopy descents.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
We do have tarmaced roads in wales.......it is the 21st century after all, tarmac doesnt stop when you leave londominium :thumbsup:
What about bread , milk and eggs ? Do you have shops ? I don't mind slumming it but I do need the basics ^_^

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
A lot of the A487 isn't nice riding IMO. Very busy, fairly twisty and hilly single carriageway stuff with lots of double white lines. I'm pretty tough about traffic but it feels like relentless harassment, especially if you are feeling tired and slow. The Cambrian Mountains are nice - there are only a handful of roads across them IIRC, but most of those are pretty, with lakes, character-building climbs and suitably rewarding views. The area between them and the coast is not my favourite kind of riding - attractive enough but relentlessly up-and-downy in a way that saps your energy without allowing you to settle into a rhythm, enjoy the height gained, or indulge in long swoopy descents.
I'm sure you're right, as I said I've only driven the route to Aber and was struck by the climbs and views however, it is a busy road and it's very double white heavy so I could well imagine that the reality of riding it would not match the dream. Either way @Cuchilo it'll be worth taking the bike, if you don't you'll be sure to spot something you want to ride, but, you are either going up or you're going down, that's just the way it is.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
@Cuchilo - if you decide against the road bike, you might like to know that Llanwrtyd Wells is the mountain bike bog-snorkelling capital of the world :whistle:. If you go with the tarmac option, it would be rude not to try the Devil's Staircase. The almost Alpine scenery on the way up (or down, depending) is worth the tears. Possibly.

Top Bottom