"Cycling" interview... Dresscode?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Claudia

Claudia

THIS^^^^

Sure, go into the interview nicely turned out, the advice above is good - but I'd say definitely trousers for a job on a huge sales floor like decathlon - pressed shirt etc, but if you can transmit to them the honest enthusiasm displayed above, then the job is yours. They have a large recruitment need, and there can't be that many people who love decathlon like you do.

thanks! I am not even doing that pre interview preparation because I know their store inside out, where is what and I don't need to fake a thing because I am genuinely interested. I think they noticed that on the phone too.

I am also attending a recruitment day for an online customer advisor position on friday. not as exciting as spending the day surrounded by bikes though... but still in there! :smile:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Would dress smart ... not casual
Think they wear blue polo n jeans/trousers on the shop floor !
Best of luck.. :thumbsup:
I think that's right both in terms of interview dress and Decathlon's working clothes. Good luck with the interview and I hope to see you in the shop sometime soon.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Having had a walk round the Reading Decathlon store on Monday and seen how they dress there, I would say go smart casual, as smart as you can without being formal. Mist f the staff were wearing jeans/chino type things plus casual shirts, with a Decathlon branded gilet type overall on. Scruffy I thought they were but then I'm old.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have interviewed people when I had my grooming salon. I expected people to turn up in smart 'interview' clothes. The fact that we all worked in jeans, tee-shirts and an overall (with dogs on it) didn't mean a thing. I liked to know that the people I was interviewing could be bothered to make an effort at what is essentially a business meeting.
I would say, smart clothes be it trousers & a blouse/shirt and whatever shoes you deem fit. Or even a smart skirt and blouse. Either or looks businesslike. The old cliche of you never get a second chance to make a first impression is very true. I had people turn up in all sorts of odd clothes, tons of make-up and a lot of jewellery for jobs that I was advertising. They generally had very short interviews followed by a 'thanks but no thanks' letter. I might have missed out on a fantastic groomer but if they can't make an effort at the interview what the heck will they be like in front of customers. Even if they were strictly back room, there might come a time that they need to speak to one.

Good luck with the interview. I might just be a fuddy-duddy but smart and business like would be my advice every time.

OP
OP
Claudia

Claudia

Thanks everyone!

Now I must say that was the must easy going, funny and comfortable interview I've ever had. The guy was super friendly, asked some odd questions but I saw through it and told him what he wanted to hear...
I am now waiting for a second interview with the store manager BUT - and believe me, I am very modest and most times pessimist - if it depended on him, he would have told me yes there and then!
He was already going on about holidays and what "we will do on induction day", "can you come this monday at 8.30?"

I'll get off my high horse now and wait until tomorrow as he said he would try to get his manager to see me in the afternoon.

Even if I don't get it, it was a wicked experience! I loved it! Still have a huge grin on my face! :biggrin:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Thanks everyone!

Now I must say that was the must easy going, funny and comfortable interview I've ever had. The guy was super friendly, asked some odd questions but I saw through it and told him what he wanted to hear...
I am now waiting for a second interview with the store manager BUT - and believe me, I am very modest and most times pessimist - if it depended on him, he would have told me yes there and then!
He was already going on about holidays and what "we will do on induction day", "can you come this monday at 8.30?"

I'll get off my high horse now and wait until tomorrow as he said he would try to get his manager to see me in the afternoon.

Even if I don't get it, it was a wicked experience! I loved it! Still have a huge grin on my face! :biggrin:

Good for you. Well done and good luck for the next round.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Good luck with stage two. You do sound like the Decathlon equivalent of a Stobart spotter though :-)

I finally got to a Decathlon for the first time last Saturday (on our way to the Nocturne) to buy a cheap work stand. It was the Surrey Quays one. I really liked it, although all the people riding bikes around the store was a bit odd. My wife is tempted to go back and see how big the bib shorts go.

Top Bottom