"Cycling" interview... Dresscode?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
I went for an interview at Decathlon at Wednesbury. I went suited up, but most were smart casual.

Some leaning to the casual side (worn out trainers and tracksuit), some to the smart side (Shoes, trousers, open neck shirt)... and me suited. I didn't get it.

The interviewing chap seemed to take a dislike to me, cant think why - Im loverly! I have since learned that the staff had a mutiny against him and he has left. His nickname was "Mr. Angry"

I think decathlon must employ someone to go round the store just before I get there and remove the price tags from anything Im interested in buying.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
You still never know. He might have been trying to throw you a curve ball to see how you reacted. The what is your dream question is just nasty.
At one interview (I didn't want the job as the pay was too low and the hours too stupid but the DSS said that I had to go) I was asked "What is your dream" and I just replied "to shag George Clooney". I was a bit fed up by this time with all the argy bargy of an 'interactive interview'. The woman burst out laughing and said 'me too' and I was offered the job the next day. Actually it wasn't that bad as the interviewer thought that I was 'fun' and I got sensible hours and a better rate of pay than advertised due to my 'experience'. Shagging A list slebs I guess :laugh: or maybe because it was the first honest answer she'd heard all day.

Hopefully the manager will consult with the chap who gave you the first interview and its not his sole decision, if you felt that he was just trying to rattle you.

OP
OP
Claudia

Claudia

You still never know. He might have been trying to throw you a curve ball to see how you reacted. The what is your dream question is just nasty.
At one interview (I didn't want the job as the pay was too low and the hours too stupid but the DSS said that I had to go) I was asked "What is your dream" and I just replied "to shag George Clooney". I was a bit fed up by this time with all the argy bargy of an 'interactive interview'. The woman burst out laughing and said 'me too' and I was offered the job the next day. Actually it wasn't that bad as the interviewer thought that I was 'fun' and I got sensible hours and a better rate of pay than advertised due to my 'experience'. Shagging A list slebs I guess :laugh: or maybe because it was the first honest answer she'd heard all day.

Hopefully the manager will consult with the chap who gave you the first interview and its not his sole decision, if you felt that he was just trying to rattle you.

Don't think that would have gone down well with this one but I'll keep that in mind for a next one.

The feeling I get is - if it depended on my Spanish hermano, there wouldn't even be the need for a second interview.
But when we go back to the manager, meh. He just didn't look like he liked or approved of me at all.

Oh well, there's always the recruitment day tomorrow for the online thingy. Looking at the bright side: it could potentially be a better pay and as the offices are in the same building, I still get tho see the bikes everyday.
This provided I don't screw up like today!

Been honest and taking your time to answer what is your dream could say more than anything....

Sometimes managers don't want you to suck up to them. The want you to be opinionated and different, it is what makes you interesting and stand out from all the others who just want the job but don't care about cycling as much as you do!

Second interviews are always tough, everyone I have had to do has resulted in me getting torn to shreds on things like presentations, objective testing and constructive out the box thinking questions. The worst beating of them all resulted in me getting the job.

Good luck

OP
OP
Claudia

Claudia

I feel terrible now.

I really wanted the job and I've got an email with it handed to me last night!!

But the pay and little amount of hours are definitely a deal breaker. I did say if it wasn't a massive difference, I wouldn't mind the pennies but this would set me back over £500 a month...

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I feel terrible now.

I really wanted the job and I've got an email with it handed to me last night!!

But the pay and little amount of hours are definitely a deal breaker. I did say if it wasn't a massive difference, I wouldn't mind the pennies but this would set me back over £500 a month...

Plus point, they offered it to you so all the interviewing worked. You could query about the hours, it might be they start new staff on lower hours and ramp it up when they know they are good. They want you, let them know the hours are a deal breaker because of what you'll lose compared to what you are doing now and see if a compromise can be reached.

OP
OP
Claudia

Claudia

Plus point, they offered it to you so all the interviewing worked. You could query about the hours, it might be they start new staff on lower hours and ramp it up when they know they are good. They want you, let them know the hours are a deal breaker because of what you'll lose compared to what you are doing now and see if a compromise can be reached.

I just worked it l out. Even if they gave me an extra 10 hours, it would still leave me around £300 behind my actual.

To be honest it wouldn't be a massive issue if I lived elsewhere. But I live in this money sucking city... I don't know how some people afford to live on minimum wage here, seriously.
Rent prices are horrendous, transport a rip off... Good thing is I don't go out partying!!

Opinions can differ. We had a "mass interview, appointing several candidates to the same job, but in different departments

Whilst everyone was arguing for a couple of the candidates I "bid for" (and got) a person who was not the "best" in the selection process.... and several others could not understand why

They did not score as well, and was not as "forward" as others.

What I liked was that when the group work was underway, there had been two others struggling and my candidate had not only helped them, but gone out of the way to ensure they were included.

Far better traits for me, and an appointment that I have never regretted

Top Bottom