Cycling on Christmas Day ?

Christmas day cycling or family time

• Yes its ok !

Votes: 80 83.3%
  • No Christmas day is family time not to be missed !

Votes: 16 16.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Christmas morning is busy with people going elsewhere. I expect around lunchtime would be quietest. I like it as there are no psycho bus drivers around!
Yes, the traffic was cars only. No doubt, people out delivering presents and visiting friends and family.

Aaargh - I have just had a flashback half a century to Christmas with my grumpy dad... He'd be sitting in his armchair facing towards the front garden. Visitors would arrive and be strolling up the path when his growling deep voice would boom out "What the hell are THEY doing coming round on Christmas morning!" I'm sure that they would have heard him... it made me cringe every time! :blush:

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, the traffic was cars only. No doubt, people out delivering presents and visiting friends and family.
You get a fair amount of church traffic too I expect between 9.30 and noonish

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
The youngest boy has a new bike for Xmas.

I doubt if I will take him out on it until Boxing Day though (weather permitting) as I will be too busy cooking the Dinner.

It will be too dark and i'll be too stuffed afterwards

Plus it takes two bottles of wine to make my perfect dinner (Most of which goes into me during the cooking process)

Last edited:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
ISTR there is someone on here who likes to ride into central London on Christmas Day, for the pleasure of crossing Westminster Bridge, or one of the other bridges crossing the Thames, when there is barely any traffic.

robgul

Legendary Member
I usually try and get out for my usual 20 mile circuit on Christmas morning, weather permitting - bracing myself for the remainder of the day (I don't like Christmas much)

Rob

Smudge

Veteran
Indeed, and for many people Christmas Day is ultimately no different to any other day. Also, working will give people company which they may not otherwise have (or get them away from the family and especially their children ;) )

I used to work all over Christmas, including Christmas day. Some years i would stay on and do new years as well.
Admittedly i was a lot younger then. It was working at a holiday camp and it was one long party for us live in staff. I used to enjoy it so much i probably would have done it for nothing.

Sounds like a great idea. Must check out which coffee shops are open :reading:
Some spoons may be open. Decent coffee. And scrooge would applaud the free refills.My london local from memory opens until about 3, then closes. I know this as i wandered down early one christmas day evening to find it all dark.
On the riding i will try to get round a certain holy hill in the morning - will be doing the cooking but not eating until 3 or 4. Means i can get by on just one proper meal.
Last year seem to remember that i arrived after a partial hill ride at one of my favourite churches at christmas day chucking out time - was sympathised with by the leavers but seem to remember that i, politely, put their minds at rest by informing that I was an atheist.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
There must be a Cafe Nero or Starbucks open somewhere on Xmas day.

Where will all the atheists and Non-Christians go, to work on their novels ? :whistle:

Top Bottom