Cycling Safety Survey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I am happy to answer your questions. I just don't understand the aggression towards me. You have even gone to the effort to monitor when I return to the site. I am not sure why you have to do this. I would assume most people would have something better to do with their time.

The first answer is that no I have not done a commensurate vehicle drive attitude study. As I have stated this is conducted out of interest. Please take what you want from it.
You said you'd answer questions, when the questions remain unanswered it's a case of have you been back. Clearly you have, but choose to not answer.
The other site, for me, is easier check who's been & when.

OP
OP
R

russellsg

Questions:

• As you've previously alluded to both bad driving and cycling you witness, have you created a commensurate vehicle driver safety & attitudes survey?

• Can we have that one if it exists given we're largely drivers too?

• If there isn't such a survey, why not?

• What is your understanding of the nature and causes of accidents and injuries occurring to or involving cyclists in a road situation?

• Do any officially published statistics on causes and responsibility differ significantly in the different areas you have lived and regularly cycled?

• Have you researched your questions and interests elsewhere to see if (that) the information you wish to gather exists already and could save you plenty of time and hassle?

• What do you intend to use the data for once gathered? Post 57 noted

• To that end, what organisations, web places or individuals will it be shared with? whether for commercial ends or from altruism or interest? (Edit: your employee status noted too, can we assume you have some sort of contract stipulation preventing you working as a paid pollster?)

• Are you asking your survey in different legal jurisdictions & tailoring it accordingly to individual mandated/prohibited activities? If so how? if not, how do you mitigate for skew in your answers for e.g. mandated helmets in Australia but not UK etc?
Ok answers as follows

1. No
2. N/A
3. No reason - I wasn't interested in it - perhaps you may want to do one
4. Just from my experience of 45 years on the road in many different countries - I can't provide a more concise answer to a general question like this
5. There are so many studies out there how could I possibly answer this
6. No - I don't see why I should have to - what is the issue with an interest study - you need to lighten up here
7. Happy to provide results when I get a significant response volume
8. No commercial sites - maybe no sites at all. Maybe I am just bored and I wanted to find out. I am certainly not a paid pollster - I thought I would ask a few questions and some helpful people would answer - I did not expect an inquisition like this?
9. It's a perception only study - I don't care about the different legal rules - I am interested in peoples attitudes - that is all

See all questions answered.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
8. No commercial sites - maybe no sites at all. Maybe I am just bored and I wanted to find out. I am certainly not a paid pollster - I thought I would ask a few questions and some helpful people would answer - I did not expect an inquisition like this?

The reason being is that you only have to look through this section of the forum to see that us members are regularly bombarded with surveys. Most if not all don't give any feedback even though asked to. To some of us that is the ultimate in rude. Shaun has spent a lot of time and effort over the years building this forum to become the community it has, (members can be very protective here), but for those to come along, throw in a survey and expect the members to partake, usually without any sort of feedback, please or thank you. To also be open and honest as to what the survey is for.

So please excuse those that question why and what you are doing with your survey and results but It costs Shaun to run and maintain this forum and you come along expecting to tap into the forums vast knowledge for free so how about you making a voluntary small payment to Shaun/Cycle Chat Forum, perhaps then you wouldn't get such an inquisition from some of the members.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
thanks, eventually :smile:
Ok answers as follows

1. No hmm, seems a missed trick IMO given the readily obtainable facts of cycling safety.

2. N/A

3. No reason - I wasn't interested in it so you're just picking on cyclists as a safety issue then? The common term is victim blaming. perhaps you may want to do one not in the slightest thanks. I am aware of where the dangers lie and I've engaged on here and elsewhere, virtual & real world, for a long time now, I think I have a pretty good handle on the range of opinions and perceptions on safety, PPE, etc that a varied cross section of cyclists hold and its effectiveness if someone in 2 tons of metal really wants to occupy the space you're in or simply doesn't see you irrespective of anything you may be wearing or using. I also engage directly with those that have to authority to make a greater positive difference if they so chose so can get access to all the surveys and data I could ever wish for.

4. Just from my experience of 45 years on the road in many different countries - I can't provide a more concise answer to a general question like this the basic figures are readily available. general rule of thumb from investigated accidents between bikes and motor vehicles approx 80% are attributed to the person in control of the motor vehicle. Head injuries account for proportionately few of cyclists KSI'd (incidentally a higher proportion of motor vehicle occupants suffer KSI through head trauma), passing red lights IIRC doesn't even register a % value of its own. as opposed to a regular litany of car hits, car kills, tipper truck turns left and crushes....

5. There are so many studies out there how could I possibly answer this disingenuous answer : officially published statistics, not any berk with a clipboard or access to survey monkey. e.g. a definitive one on the UK is annually published by DfT causes of accidents summary (culled from police investigations) I've seen similar from elsewhere too. Just for info in this annual publication, the reasons for accidents and injuries barely change year on year & cycling being mentioned as any cause of incident/accident/KSI is negligible compared to the regular head and shoulders winners: excess speed, not paying attention, not driving to the road conditions, driving too close to the thing you hit, failure to anticipate. Hence my suspicion to your motive and wondering where your car attitude survey is.

6. No - I don't see why I should have to - what is the issue with an interest study just trying to help and nudge you in the direction of all the info you could ever want to analyse, since it seems that you've done no checking of your own before diving in to save the world. - you need to lighten up here really? why should you be concerned about someone taking an interest in your interest, you're still asking more questions of me & others than I am of you. would you have been less dismissive if I'd done it as a google survey like yours?

7. Happy to provide results when I get a significant response volume define significant? 2, 20, 200, 2000?

8. No commercial sites - maybe no sites at all. Maybe I am just bored and I wanted to find out. kind of x-ref your answers to 5 & 6, you'd have found out plenty without having to go to the effort of writing up and distributing your how hypocritical a cyclist are you really survey and not had to worry about the Spanish Inquisition. I am certainly not a paid pollster - I thought I would ask a few questions and some helpful people would answer - I did not expect an inquisition like this? you're far far from the first to join up make no input to the wider life of the site hit us with a questionnaire as your only concession to being here, You gave no explanation to your motives, presented a heavily biased survey (particularly without any meaningful context) and your initial high handed responses about " not looking down on making it a safer place for cyclists" all made you sound like this was some sort of official thing that you are sneaking out without being honest as to the reasons or origins & appeared to be just another in a long line trying to shift the blame and onus of responsibility onto the more vulnerable parties.

9. It's a perception only study - I don't care about the different legal rules - I am interested in peoples attitudes - that is all some of your questions are 'do you / don't you', not 'would you / wouldn't you' if you had free choice'. if you're after perceptions then you need to rewrite those that are going to be influenced by the laws that different jurisdictions impose.

See all questions answered.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

russellsg

I wouldn't waste time on this rather rude timewaster.
Are you serious? I have tried to be as polite as possible. I have answered every question and you call me a rude timewaster? If you follow this thread you will see that I have tried to be as honest and upfront as possible but you just come on for no reason and say this?

OP
OP
R

russellsg

The reason being is that you only have to look through this section of the forum to see that us members are regularly bombarded with surveys. Most if not all don't give any feedback even though asked to. To some of us that is the ultimate in rude. Shaun has spent a lot of time and effort over the years building this forum to become the community it has, (members can be very protective here), but for those to come along, throw in a survey and expect the members to partake, usually without any sort of feedback, please or thank you. To also be open and honest as to what the survey is for.

So please excuse those that question why and what you are doing with your survey and results but It costs Shaun to run and maintain this forum and you come along expecting to tap into the forums vast knowledge for free so how about you making a voluntary small payment to Shaun/Cycle Chat Forum, perhaps then you wouldn't get such an inquisition from some of the members.

Like I have repeatedly said - I will post the results once there is sufficient response. I am sure Shaun runs this forum because he enjoys it and has an interest in both cycling and bulletin boards php or whatever. A great job and well done. However you logic does not make sense. The very reason you run a bulletin board is to create interest and get people in discussion which I think this thread has definitely achieved. Many people have taken part in the survey and I appreciate their input. If you choose to be critical and opinionated like this then that is your choice but it would indeed be a very sad internet community if your attitude was shared by everybody.

I've now looked at the survey, it looks as fishy as a barrel of cod in fish sauce to me.

Hi everyone,

I am currently conducting some private research on cycling safety and how cyclists conduct themselves on the highway. This has no commercial basis and I have no commercial interests in cycling or cycling products. I trust that people using this webstie will treat this in good faith and respond to this research by completing a short Cycling Safety Survey from the attached link. It will only take a few minutes and your input is very much appreciated.

http://goo.gl/forms/97TyELFKC3K8mKDT2

Many thanks
Good Survey, easy to answer questions, some repetition however, Looking forward to results as this survey has had quite a lot of views

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Like I have repeatedly said - I will post the results once there is sufficient response. I am sure Shaun runs this forum because he enjoys it and has an interest in both cycling and bulletin boards php or whatever. A great job and well done. However you logic does not make sense. The very reason you run a bulletin board is to create interest and get people in discussion which I think this thread has definitely achieved. Many people have taken part in the survey and I appreciate their input. If you choose to be critical and opinionated like this then that is your choice but it would indeed be a very sad internet community if your attitude was shared by everybody.

Well done on completely missing the point entirely. And as I and others have deduced from your replies, you want to take and give nothing back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom