Cycling snobbery. Does it exist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mortiroloboy

mickle said:
Van Nics? Jesus God no, Taiwanese junk!

Mickle, get off the fence, stop dithering.;) OK then as a retirement pressie to oneself, what would you suggest? It's a long way off, but I 'd be looking for comfort, longevity (the bike):biggrin: and a top end Campag groupset.

No but seriously; Lightspeed, Merlin, 7 Cycles, Pinarello, Colnago, Look, Mercian, De Rosa, Rocky Mtn, Condor........

Every time I see a VN I recoil in horror at some of their detailing. I mean like eeeuw! Minger!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Forums like this are the things that stop you sticking with what you have got. Since I joined the old C+ Forum, I have gone from riding a British Eagle hybrid to a Planet-X Kaffenback to a Blue alu-carbon racer and a Titus Motolite MTB... for now, that is all I need (or my wife will allow me). I do want a single-speed though... maybe converting my Kaff, but the dropouts are all wrong... and ultimately I would love one of these...

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
It must be said, if as a beginner you turned up to a chain-gang with a Dawes or Halfords racer with a triple chainset, mudguard eyelets and not even a carbon fork, the other cyclists may be a bit sniffy. However these are still bikes for starters. You don't know how much you will get into cycling. If you do get into it in a big way and get a better bike, your unfashionable Dawes or Halfords racer will make an excellent training bike, turbo trainer bike, commuter or whatever.

skairkrow

Hi people! Just a quick hello from a new member of the masochists club! I have been riding my claud butler hybrid for seven weeks now,it's been a struggle to get close to fit, but I have done two fifty mile plus rides,along with lots of fifteen to twentyfives,av speed now up to 14mph,have done 426 miles total,am told around 500 is a good base,after all this,have just found out my nice bicycle is only an 18" frame! being 6 feet tall my efforts so far have been amazing,and I have ordered a longer seatpost,hopefully that will help prevent my old knees from failing! I appreciate I can't just increase the saddle height without affecting the reach,etc,so a nice new(?)claud butler regent tourer is my next step,with a 22" frame,I hasten to add!To actually get back on thread,my brief encounters with the local cyclists have gone from being completely ignored(no problem) to grudging respect after meeting several times in rain/gales/snow,(a different experience altogether that one!) Anyway,live and let live I say,great forum,thanks for letting me waffle
on,will be back for advice no doubt!
beauty is in the eye of the beholder,get it out with Optrex!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
skairkrow said:
Hi people! Just a quick hello from a new member of the masochists club!

Nah, masochism is sitting in traffic in a stifling metal box when you could be whizzing along in the open air... :biggrin:

Welcome!

skairkrow

Hi,nice to find cyclists do have a sense of humour,(if a little twisted!) :rolleyes:)I have spent my whole life never regretting anything,but since I started tearing around the New Forest annoying the local wildlife,I wish I had discovered this cycling thing a long time ago!:rolleyes: Anyhow,hopefully the NEXT fifty years will see me getting up ALL my local hills without biting through the handlebars!:wacko:

giant man

Yeah I'm a bit of a cycling snob.

Wouldn't touch a Trek.
Wouldn't touch a Cannondale. Far too common.
Wouldn't touch a Spesh, not specialized enough!
Wouldn't touch a Scott. Not special enough
Wouldn't touch a Van Nicholas, not finished off well enough
Wouldn't touch anything from Halfrauds, logically enough
Wouldn't touch a De Rosa, heard too many horror stories, should do better for the price
Wouldn't touch Rapha, overrated imo

Would touch and buy a Pinarello
Would touch and buy a Parlee
Would touch and buy a Serotta
Would touch and buy a Giant, imo the best of the Taiwan bikes.
Would touch and buy a Seven, imo the best of the ti only manufacturers

And i only buy castelli or Assos, why bother with any other?

I say hi to EVERYONE on two wheels, regardless of their age, sex or what they're riding. Anyone who doesn't recipricate is their loss.

Top Bottom