Cycling snobbery. Does it exist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hodsgod

Stwutter said:
If you spend under £800, you can bet ya pants that you'll spend a grand in the subsequent 6 months on upgrades, and wish you'd spent £1500 in the first place.

That's not true at all, I have an £800 and a £400 machine. I havent changed anything apart from one tyre and tubes. I know you are correct for some people but not all of us.

I ride Bottecchia by the way.

ade234uk

About 3 years ago I bought Carrera Racing Bike from Halfords. It was about £299.00 and have served me fine for the last 3 years. Of course it is not like your Pinarello, Bianchi, Trek but has been well worth the money. It has paid for itself about 3 times over and is fine if you just intend casual riding and keeping generally fit.

byegad

Legendary Member
giant man said:
...edit....I say hi to EVERYONE on two wheels, regardless of their age, sex or what they're riding. Anyone who doesn't recipricate is their loss.

Ha! A wheelist comment. I ride a recumbent trike because, in order :-
A) I like the comfort.:angry:
B) I like the noteriety.:becool:
C) I have chronic Vertigo.:B)
Two wheels good, three wheels better?:biggrin:

walker

Yellow Fang said:
It must be said, if as a beginner you turned up to a chain-gang with a Dawes or Halfords racer with a triple chainset, mudguard eyelets and not even a carbon fork, the other cyclists may be a bit sniffy. However these are still bikes for starters. You don't know how much you will get into cycling. If you do get into it in a big way and get a better bike, your unfashionable Dawes or Halfords racer will make an excellent training bike, turbo trainer bike, commuter or whatever.

you would get looked at, but if you can hold the pace, keep with the group and ride well on a cheaper machine, you would get plenty of respect. At first people will steer clear of you as you will be looked upon as a complete noob.

I've raced against someone on a carrera, and the b'stard beat me:biggrin:

Top Bottom