Cycling snobbery. Does it exist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colcazal

Hi,

Firstly may I say that as a newcomer to the cycling world I have found this site and the people on it to be very friendly and helpful to say the least. Thanks!!

However, In my quest for a bike I have been looking at many cycling forums in the UK and USA. Like everyone, I had a budget to adhere to when choosing a bike. I have found a degree of snobbery within OTHER forums with regards to bike choice, people seem to look down there noses at entry level bikes and would'nt recommend a bike under £800.

All I have to say is that if people want to spend £250 or £2500 thats up to them. We all choose bikes for different reasons. My reason is to stay fit and just cycle. I am not going to suddendly turn into a pro rider even if I spend £2500 or more so whats the point.

If there is anyone out there who looks down at people because they have 'nt got the best groupset or whatever, please just think why! Why do you need a expensive bike. Is it because you need it to compete at a pro or amateur level or have you bought it for the name? Whatever the answer is, it's up to them!

Just a thought!

Col

domtyler

Über Member
You will never change human nature Col. It doesn't matter what hobby or pastime you take up in the future, you will always encounter snobbery, and yes of course it exists on this forum too.

Stwutter said:
If you spend under £800, you can bet ya pants that you'll spend a grand in the subsequent 6 months on upgrades, and wish you'd spent £1500 in the first place.

I haven't and don't :tongue:

I wasn't being funny, just saying I haven't and am quite happy with what I bought.

Now I have spent another £300/£400 on accessories but not much on upgrades only saddle and gearing, so £100.

Now if you asked whether I wanted another bike to supplement it, that's a different question.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i got lucky with a carerra bike for £250. turns out it's a merida frame, and it's now been upgraded to full tiagra, with replacement wheels. it's perfectly ok, and i do all sorts of rides, depending on the club run.

i can outpace people on better machines, and been outpaced by riders on lesser machines. the truth is, it's all in the legs. you don't want to be "all the gear and no idea."

Danny

Legendary Member
I'm not actually sure how much snobbery there is out there. But there are some cyclists who are obsessed about always having the latest and flashiest kit, and maybe that comes across as snobbery.

On this forum you will find more people going into a high state of excitement over the latest release of cheap kit by Aldi or Lidl, than you will people getting off on the latest release of some bit of bling kit.

Indeed there is a strong tradition of cyclists who love searching out bargains or coming up with ingenious DIY solutions to solve particular problems. And of course there are plenty of cyclists who will go 20 miles out of their way just to save 5p on a cup of tea at some grotty transport cafe.

Not that I am a snob about transport cafes :tongue:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Crackle said:
I haven't and don't :tongue:

Me neither!

In answer to the OP, I'm afraid snobbery will always exist. The trick is just to ignore it, and not hang out with people who think it's a good thing to do. We're all snobbish about something though...

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Count me in, I ride a bike I bought secondhand for £80, eleven years ago and I have spent no more than £300 on it, including lights!

It's the shared joy of cycling that is important here and not necessarily the bike you ride.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
You can spend a £1000 on a bike, but if you've ten bob legs you still ain't going to go any where fast. It not what you got, its how well you can ride it...

Top Bottom