Cycling snobbery. Does it exist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
Certainly there is snobbery. My local roadies look down on everyone else, my neighbour looks down on non utility riders and I, metaphorically, look down on (physically up to) everyone not on a recumbent trike.

So long as we all look pityingly at non cyclists I can see no harm!!!!!!!
:tongue::biggrin::biggrin:

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
You can get just as wet, cold and knackered on a bike costing £200 as £2000. It doesn't matter what it cost as long as you enjoy it.

RedBike said:
Having the legs is crucial but a good bike does make a whopping difference.

If you can afford a nice bike then why not.

Damn right, there is absolutely no reason someone shouldn't buy a dream machine if they can afford it, they might not be able to ride it well, but who cares if they enjoy it?!?!

It isn't like buying a huuuuuuuuuuuuge 4x4 and only using it like a normal car, its just buying what you want and can pay for. Getting snippy about someone buying a budget bike isn't on though.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It's amazing how snobbish some road riders can be, esp. towards recumbent riders. Come on a fixed, and they are much more willing to talk to you. The only thing funnier is passing them with a massive speed differential, you get to see them stand up and pedal to try to catch up.

Luckily most people aren't like that, it's just a few bad eggs. As far as I'm concerned, any cycling is good.

Mind, I'm a bit snobbish towards cyclists who have incredibly dirty, old, and worn kit. Not that I'm perfect by any means myself, I'm just as hypocritical as the next person.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I often get filthy looks and 'tuts' from uptight upright roadie riders when I'm out on my 'bent trike, but then they don't like getting caught behind me when I have Ms tdr1nka on the tandem either.
Seems I can't win being a lowly utility rider, not that it actually bothers me that much, 5000 miles per annum for a non competetive cyclist isn't so bad.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
LOL, I bet they just hate having to draft when you put the hammer down on that tandem on the flat/downhill. My Hurricane is a bit similar to a tandem with respect to performance with normal road bikes, only the difference is a bit more extreme.

I'm riding a 2nd hand £250.00 MTB i have'nt upgraded any parts for performance but i am adding bits like Rack & Bags etc etc

I was out for a ride yesterday (24.5 miles) and i saw many cyclist's doing the same on MTB's ~ Hybrids ~ Tourers and all of them gave a cheery Hello as we passed each other :rolleyes:

Simon

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
BentMikey said:
LOL, I bet they just hate having to draft when you put the hammer down on that tandem on the flat/downhill. My Hurricane is a bit similar to a tandem with respect to performance with normal road bikes, only the difference is a bit more extreme.

There is one stretch, only on the return school run where anyone could draft
us(BM, you'll know it as the bus lane at start of the Goldsmiths one way system at the top of Lewisham Way, heading into New Cross).

We've been known to get up a solid 25mph down that bit of road!:rolleyes:

When I cycle, it's for me. I couldn't give a hoot what anyone else thinks of my bike. I didn't buy it for them to praise or criticise. I bought it for me to enjoy riding.

'Nuff said...

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Its not about the bike, its how good you are.
When i first got my Giant SCR4 i had toe straps and i often got blanked by 'proper' road bikers. On a sunday morning i got blanked at a T junctions when i was on my own and two people on racers had stopped to wait for traffic lights, they looked at me, i smiled and they turned away. I overtook them when they had a head start, then when i slowed down for a red light they went through just as it went to amber undertaking a van. I absolutly went for it and over took them again. One sat behind and the other tried to hang on his mates back wheel. Got to the other set and we stopped. Had a quick chat, and when they went amber we were off again, i go away quicker with my toe straps and stayed ahead doing about 24mph with the other guy on my back wheel and his mate already dropped off. He turned right and waited for his mate. They were both on high end Le Mond racers with alot better equipment then me. That made my ride :rolleyes:
I get more hellos and waves now. I get less if i wear a hi-vis and can often get blanked completely.

bonj2

There is snobbery, but there is also a lot of inverse snobbery. Somebody mentioned more people go into aldi and lidl than do spend lots on a nice bit of kit. POINTLESS. As I see it, it's akin to the students of the 80s who have a contest to see who can eek out their money and live on a quid a week by living off 8p tins of beans. Now there's no need to splash out thousands at a posh restaurant, but just be sensible and get a bloody STEAK PIE down you.

OP
OP
colcazal

colcazal

Get blanked cause you wear a hi-vis? Whats the world coming to!
I wear a hi-vis all the time. I want to do the most to get seen. After all cycling is great but seeing my wee boys when I get home is much better!

Col

Top Bottom