Cycling snobbery. Does it exist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
yep, dhb (2006 no less) longs and CC jersey is my best at the mo

I always feel hard core on my commute, the only thing more serious I see is the messenger (moslty faux) look and that usually looks poncey

Well I have a Cheap decathlon 7.1 and I don't give a stuff if anyone else likes it or not - as lomg as they don't like so much they want to take it for themselves.

yenrod

colcazal said:
Hi,

Firstly may I say that as a newcomer to the cycling world I have found this site and the people on it to be very friendly and helpful to say the least. Thanks!!

However, In my quest for a bike I have been looking at many cycling forums in the UK and USA. Like everyone, I had a budget to adhere to when choosing a bike. I have found a degree of snobbery within OTHER forums with regards to bike choice, people seem to look down there noses at entry level bikes and would'nt recommend a bike under £800.

All I have to say is that if people want to spend £250 or £2500 thats up to them. We all choose bikes for different reasons. My reason is to stay fit and just cycle. I am not going to suddendly turn into a pro rider even if I spend £2500 or more so whats the point.

If there is anyone out there who looks down at people because they have 'nt got the best groupset or whatever, please just think why! Why do you need a expensive bike. Is it because you need it to compete at a pro or amateur level or have you bought it for the name? Whatever the answer is, it's up to them!

Just a thought!

Col

I seen a bike in a mates shop for £200 quid..

As much as it didnt have STi's or such like it was a great starter !

alecstilleyedye said:
it'll be interesting to see how the bloke, who occasionally commutes to work on a mountain bike, gets on on the spesh full carbon machine he came into work today. i could absolutely toast him on the mountain bike, even on my old steel racer, so it'll be interesting to see how much better that me he is (or isn't) with us both on our best bikes (his better than mine).

you might toast him, but will he be enjoying his ride more?

I beat people riding nice roadbikes, on my old knockabout Raleigh Quasar, but I would rather be riding their bikes than mine!

A while ago I posted my smugness at beating a guy on a Spesh Tarmac SL2 up Box Hill on my Alu-Carbon mixed roadbike - I kicked his ass, but still want his bike.

OP
OP
colcazal

colcazal

Now I know, snobbery does exist in cycling as with any other hobby etc. As usual it is the minority of people who are snobbish and these are the people who have to ask themselves why they cycle.

TBH I only really thought people were snobbish towards the bike you are riding or the kit that is on it! I cannot believe that people are getting frowned upon for wearing Hi-Viz or DHB tights, Come on!! Or am I being nieve?

Do club riders think they look good dressed up like Mars bar wrappers with their tights over their shoes! Eh!! I see such dressed individuals everyday. In my opinion it's up to them what they wear but don't take the pee out of us normal people.

Dressing up in Lycra aint excactly a fashion statement. Neither is a Hi-viz or dhb tights. I wear my old running shoes, a set of joggers, a technical T and a Hi-viz. If anyone has a problem with that, tuff!

Col

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
colcazal said:
Get blanked cause you wear a hi-vis? Whats the world coming to!
I wear a hi-vis all the time. I want to do the most to get seen. After all cycling is great but seeing my wee boys when I get home is much better!

Col

Yep, the same guy a few days before had waved and smiled. If the traffic was light then i would have loved to turn around and ride by the side of him, picking the speed up slowly.
I was only wearing one becuase it was very cloudy and kept raining meaning vision was a bit poor.

Shaun

Founder
Well I've got a two grand carbon road bike, and fifty pence jumble sale lungs.

This means I look good for about the 10 seconds it takes anyone with half decent fitness to pass me. (Including MTB's with wonky back wheels, and even wonkier riders!) ;)

Having said that, there is a marked difference between my posh bike and my commuter. I can happily spend hours and hours in the saddle of my posh bike and feel good at the end of the ride. It's far less comfortable on the commuter, and as such I usually take the posh bike if I can.

I don't mind being passed by other riders; it doesn't effect my enjoyment of my bike, and doesn't make me want to hunt them down and pass them.

Both bikes have masses of potential, just a shame the rider doesn't do them justice. I generally bimble along, and that suits either of my bikes; it's just that the posh one is nicer to bimble along on. :?::biggrin:

If it works for you, it doesn't matter what it cost!! :evil::thumbsup::laugh:

Cheers,
Shaun

Mortiroloboy

Admin said:
Well I've got a two grand carbon road bike, and fifty pence jumble sale lungs.

This means I look good for about the 10 seconds it takes anyone with half decent fitness to pass me. (Including MTB's with wonky back wheels, and even wonkier riders!) :?:

Having said that, there is a marked difference between my posh bike and my commuter. I can happily spend hours and hours in the saddle of my posh bike and feel good at the end of the ride. It's far less comfortable on the commuter, and as such I usually take the posh bike if I can.

I don't mind being passed by other riders; it doesn't effect my enjoyment of my bike, and doesn't make me want to hunt them down and pass them.

Both bikes have masses of potential, just a shame the rider doesn't do them justice. I generally bimble along, and that suits either of my bikes; it's just that the posh one is nicer to bimble along on. :thumbsup::biggrin:

If it works for you, it doesn't matter what it cost!! :smile::evil::laugh:

Cheers,
Shaun

Never a truer word.;):smile::biggrin::laugh:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Well said Admin. If you love your bike, it's the right one for you. End of.

simonali said:
I'm saving up for one of these so I can look down me nose at the bloody lot of ya! :wacko:

*tut tut*
you'll have to go better than that to look down your nose at me.

if you want snobbery, then pootle along on a really nice bike, talk to the birds and animals you pass, pause to admire the view, wear baggy shorts over your lycra and say hello to old people as you pass them (or they pass you). see how ignored you can be by the super fast roadies and the extreme MTBers.

then again. if that's how you ride you're not in for the same reasons as them, so it won't matter.

Dave5N

Über Member
I think this was mentioned on another thread. I don't look down on anyone and usually wave or say hello, unless I am concentrating hard.

But if smeone overtakes without a greeting or at least an indication, I will chase them down if I possibly can.

simonali

Guru
laurence said:
*tut tut*
you'll have to go better than that to look down your nose at me.

if you want snobbery, then pootle along on a really nice bike, talk to the birds and animals you pass, pause to admire the view, wear baggy shorts over your lycra and say hello to old people as you pass them (or they pass you). see how ignored you can be by the super fast roadies and the extreme MTBers.

then again. if that's how you ride you're not in for the same reasons as them, so it won't matter.

I do do nearly all of that apart from the really nice bike bit; mine is only a nice-ish bike.

The baggies over lycra is a must for me too these days coz a) I don't think I have the legs for them anymore and ;) don't ride a road bike where they look more 'right'.

hatless

Über Member
Abitrary said:
I think a lot of snobbery in cycling stems from the fact that cycling is generally viewed as a plebby, utilitarian form of transport, by non-cyclists.

Kit and bike snobbery by enthusiasts can maybe viewed as an attempt to distance themselves from this... a way of saying "my other bike's a porsche".

I think there must be a lot in this. Unless you're a successful, comeptitive racer, cycling doesn't really register in the 'real world.' Most of its appeal is of an 'alternative' nature. It's a cheapish, green, fun activity that isn't about efficiency or speed or glamour. I'd have thought there was a lot of satisfaction to be had by embracing these reversed values.

I'm just getting back into cycling after many years (seems to be a common thing to do!). I may decide to stick with my trousers and clips approach, and see if I can keep my beergut a good size.

Top Bottom