Cycling snobbery. Does it exist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
I'm slowly moving up from jeans and an MTB back in the day

On wed I pick up a spanking new £900 worth of Condor, and hopefully a dead smart Ortlieb pannier, along with my clipless, tights, proper top, snazzy hat, gloves and the like I'll barely be able to post on the same board as you scummers

once I get my first bit of posh cycle clothing that'll be that and I'll have to put you all on ignore in case I catch grot off you

and if I join LVCC and get a club top ...

ooof

(post 2,000 next, it'll have to be a good 'un)

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Tynan said:
I'm slowly moving up from jeans and an MTB back in the day (post 2,000 next, it'll have to be a good 'un)

'Sfunny that, was out in the van today with Mrs. tdr1nka and was remarking on how many cyclists were wearing jeans and how I'd given that up for bad years ago!!:rolleyes:

Jakes Dad said:
I'm riding a 2nd hand £250.00 MTB i have'nt upgraded any parts for performance but i am adding bits like Rack & Bags etc etc

I was out for a ride yesterday (24.5 miles) and i saw many cyclist's doing the same on MTB's ~ Hybrids ~ Tourers and all of them gave a cheery Hello as we passed each other :rolleyes:

Simon

I mainly ride in the country and so see maybe half a dozen or so riders on 20 mile ride and make a point of raising a hand in greeting to them all regardless of what they are riding; what gets my goat is the roadie in the latest gear and sat on a carbon frame with all the bells and whistles that doesn't even bother to nod.

As for how much to spend, well spend what you can afford wisely, i brought a road bike on the advice of my LBS and have really enjoyed the last two years. a year later I did for my 40th spend a lot on a bike from Thorn and the difference in ride was marked compared to the relatively cheap road bike i originally brought. but it hasn't made me ride faster just longer with a bigger smile:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Windy

bonj2

To all the people who have said things along the lines of "It's about how you ride it, not how good a bike you've got":
WHAT'S about how you ride it and now good a bike you've got.

i.e. What's "It" in this context?

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
bonj said:
To all the people who have said things along the lines of "It's about how you ride it, not how good a bike you've got":
WHAT'S about how you ride it and how good a bike you've got.

i.e. What's "It" in this context?

Er... The principle joy of cycling, perchance?:rolleyes:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
it'll be interesting to see how the bloke, who occasionally commutes to work on a mountain bike, gets on on the spesh full carbon machine he came into work today. i could absolutely toast him on the mountain bike, even on my old steel racer, so it'll be interesting to see how much better that me he is (or isn't) with us both on our best bikes (his better than mine).

Abitrary

I think a lot of snobbery in cycling stems from the fact that cycling is generally viewed as a plebby, utilitarian form of transport, by non-cyclists.

Kit and bike snobbery by enthusiasts can maybe viewed as an attempt to distance themselves from this... a way of saying "my other bike's a porsche".

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
There is snobbery, but there is also a lot of inverse snobbery. Somebody mentioned more people go into aldi and lidl than do spend lots on a nice bit of kit. POINTLESS. As I see it, it's akin to the students of the 80s who have a contest to see who can eek out their money and live on a quid a week by living off 8p tins of beans. Now there's no need to splash out thousands at a posh restaurant, but just be sensible and get a bloody STEAK PIE down you.

Well, sometimes, eating the cheap beans, or buying the cheap gear at aldi means you have more to spend on things where it makes difference. As long as it's not false economy (IE buying something cheap that then falls apart in a day or a week), what does it matter if people choose to bargain hunt? I spend as little as I can on the things that matter less, in order to have the money where it matters more. As long as I don't whinge all the time about buying cheap beans, what does it matter?

02GF74

Über Member
It exists like snobbery in other things.

I mean, what is the point in spending £ 300 on a pair of Tommy Armani jeans when a £ 5 pair from Tesco will cover you backside just as well?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
beanzontoast said:
When I cycle, it's for me. I couldn't give a hoot what anyone else thinks of my bike. I didn't buy it for them to praise or criticise. I bought it for me to enjoy riding.

'Nuff said...

ABSOLUTELY !

malkie

Went into my LBS recently for the first time . I would have been in before but he never seems to be open . Bought a bit of gear and was chatting about being a newbie .

I`d spent most of my budget on the bike and commented that I had some DHB tights and a Night Vision jacket at the moment ... what did he recommend etc...

The answer was " if I saw you in your DHB tights and Altura jacket I`d laugh at you !!! " *
He then lectured me on what you can and can`t wear ... no team gear ( not that I would )... buy Italian gear only ... you are allowed Assos apparently but the "discerning rider" only has the odd piece ... etc etc

This from a man with a 70`s hairstyle complete with bald spot who looks like he doesn`t get out very often .:evil:

I managed not to crack up laughing but left thinking "how odd , I wonder if all cyclists are like that"

Apparently you are ;) :B) :thumbsup:

I assume he was a bit peeved I had already bought a bike but I had tried to go in his shop half a dozen times on different days of the week only to find it closed .

* I laugh at me too but that`s another story

malkie

I had that as an option .

But as a fairly confident person faced with a guy with clearly no self-awareness at all ... you have to wonder what his opinion is worth exactly.

The fact that this "enthusiast" would laugh at me just made me smile .

Enthusiast = custard shuffler :evil:

geopat

Über Member
I haven't thought about what other riders think about me out on the country roads with my crappy Sirrus, bib tights and Hi Vis jacket until reading this. They must be killing themselves after passing me.

I only wish I could borrow Lance's lungs for a couple of hours and fly past them after being overtaken.

Personally I don't give a monkey's about what they think. I only cycle because I enjoy it and get some exercise.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
malkie said:
The answer was " if I saw you in your DHB tights and Altura jacket I`d laugh at you !!! " *
He then lectured me on what you can and can`t wear ... no team gear ( not that I would )... buy Italian gear only ... you are allowed Assos apparently but the "discerning rider" only has the odd piece ... etc etc

I favour dhb tights and dhb jacket, myself :evil:

My "good" gear is mostly Foska, and the hallow'd Cyclechat Jersey. On my commute, I find most of the folk I encounter will smile and wave on seeing another cyclist (regardless of bike/gear), as I do, unless I'm trying not to be squashed at the time ;) I'm pleased to say my LBS has a similar attitude, i.e., it doesn't matter what you ride, so long as you do...

Top Bottom