Cycling UK Advice Coronavirus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Plod is a postcode lottery - some forces have been brilliant for cyclists in the last couple of years. Loads of close-pass prosecutions, active campaigning.
Some forces? Less so ...

Looks to me like those Derbyshire panda drivers are having a nice drive out into the countryside. Can't say I blame 'em! ;)

BigMeatball

Yes, flashing their rusty Sherrif's badge all over social media!

They seem to have overreacted to what looks like a couple of cycle clubs stupidly going out on a group ride, but instead of fining the perpetrators, they've engaged in yet another bout of bike-bashing, like they've done before. Here it is, if you feel motivated to reply, but there are already some excellent ones, plus mine:

Derbyshire police proving themselves to be idiots twice: first time for posting that ridiculous abomination, and second time for not deleting the posts pronto.

It's almost like they're asking to be laughed at :laugh:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Although if as @mjr has posted they reacted to people going out on a group ride they are very much in the right to do so but the wording on social media was not appropriate

"Lycra clad cyclists is in reference to what appeared to be members of cycling clubs in matching outfits riding in large groups along the 11 mile stretch of the A57 Snake Pass."

Sounds like a fair cop to me.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
"Lycra clad cyclists is in reference to what appeared to be members of cycling clubs in matching outfits riding in large groups along the 11 mile stretch of the A57 Snake Pass."

Sounds like a fair cop to me.
No, it's an invalid generalisation. It's that sort of nonsense which Constable Savage was based on, albeit on a much more serious topic...

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have asthma that is tree pollen triggered, and we're just coming into my allergy season. Hasn't started yet … fingers crossed it may not be a bad year. I'm also lucky enough to own a turbo (bought last year) and have space for it and to quite enjoy using it. So I'm moving to 100% indoor cycling for the time being. If I do feel breathing problems coming on I can stop immediately. As we move into summer and the asthma risk drops I'll reassess that.

My bike is also a bit damaged, and the fact that I can't just pop out to the LBS to get a new wheel and other parts means it'll likely stay that way for a while. But it's turbo-worthy.

It's depressing, but inevitable, that these circs will be used by the usual suspects as an excuse to have a pop at cycling in general, as is the case with the police quote above and the meme going around that if you go outside on a bike you are highly likely to end up taking up a bed in A&E because riding a bicycle is highly a dangerous activity, like base jumping or cave diving.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Well, my cycle home from working at home featured extremely well mannered motorists, almost empty roads, and a loop through Derbyshire where, shockingly, a woman had parked in a deserted beauty spot and was brazenly walking her dog- without being arrested.

Derbyshire plod need to pull their finger out pronto.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes, flashing their rusty Sherrif's badge all over social media!

They seem to have overreacted to what looks like a couple of cycle clubs stupidly going out on a group ride, but instead of fining the perpetrators, they've engaged in yet another bout of bike-bashing, like they've done before. Here it is, if you feel motivated to reply, but there are already some excellent ones, plus mine:

View: https://twitter.com/DerbyshireRPU/status/1243141455503413248?p=v

I've read the legislation, and it makes no mention of lycra. Cycling has been mandated as an acceptable form of exercise, either alone of with members if the same household. No mention of their attire.

Indeed, ath the time DerbsPol posted that the matter had not even been passed into law.

johnnyb47

Guru
Just reading the BBC news article on corona virus scammers. There sending out text messages, pretending to be the authorities with £250 fines for breaking the curfew rules. How low can these scumbags get in our "time of need" is appalling

Top Bottom