Cycling UK Advice Coronavirus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
"Lycra clad cyclists is in reference to what appeared to be members of cycling clubs in matching outfits riding in large groups along the 11 mile stretch of the A57 Snake Pass."

Sounds like a fair cop to me.
I cycled over the Snake Pass today (Glossop to Ladybower and back again) and saw a couple of police cars which was unusual so these incidents probably explain why. There were several solo cyclists out and no probs with police by the look of things

What was an issue was probably about 50 motorcyclists so obviously there are a lot of bikers taking advantage of the quiet roads. Can't believe they'll get away with that for long

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Just reading the BBC news article on corona virus scammers. There sending out text messages, pretending to be the authorities with £250 fines for breaking the curfew rules. How low can these scumbags get in our "time of need" is appalling

More to the point, why aren't plod apprehending them rather than harassing lone dog walkers?

Crankarm

Guru
Mod Note:
this is an incorrect statement.
Being retired does not put you automatically in a high risk group.

Facts here.

There is no mention of being retired in your link or indeed of elderly adults being more at risk of contracting CV and their need to remain at home. Bare in mind that 70% of those who have died from the CV in Spain are over 60 years old. I believe it is similar in Italy. Hold that figure in your mind and you will realise how vulnerable older people are to the CV, not expressly older people as the virus has claimed the lives of younger people as well, but older people i.e. over 70 years old and those with under lying medical conditions are seemingly so much more vulnerable and make up the bulk of the figures for people who haves sadly lost their lives. But if you are retired and over 70, that you believe you are in the peak of fitness and health, if you believe that if you contract the CV you have as good a chance of recovery as a much younger person, then you carry right on ignore the advice.

So when have those over 70 years of age been told to remain at home? Surely you cannot have missed Boris and his medical advisors making clear on several occasions during their nightly updates on TV that those who are 70 years old and over should remain at home isolated for 12 weeks? If you are 70 years old and over you are typically going to be retired, however some people still may still be working, I accept this. Indeed some younger people may have been lucky enough to be able to retire well before 65 years old, but for the most part those who have reached 70 years old will be retired and classed as vulnerable and even more at risk to CV.

Younger family members have also been told NOT to visit elderly parents or relatives. For Mother's Day the advice from Boris was NOT to visit your mother and potentially pass on CV to her or indeed your Dad, but to call or use Skype or similar. Younger people can be carriers without even being aware especially if they have not been tested and unknowingly pass the virus onto older family members.

I also have the impression that many contributors to this forum may well be retired or approaching retirement age so I am stirring ups hornets' nest. Not all contributors here are retired, many like me still work, but there are quite a few.

I hope this helps clarify things for you.

Last edited:
poster-jpeg.jpg

I might post this in every relevant thread until the Mods stop me!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Which bit is it in?
It really depends what your interpretation of minimise time outside is :smile:
Page 4. And I quote:
"Restrictions on movement 6.—(1) During the emergency period, no person may leave the place where they are living without reasonable excuse. (2)For the purposes of paragraph (1), a reasonable excuse includes the need— (a)to obtain basic necessities, including food and medical supplies for those in the same household (including any pets or animals in the household) or for vulnerable persons and supplies for the essential upkeep, maintenance and functioning of the household, or the household of a vulnerable person, or to obtain money, including from any business listed in Part 3 of Schedule 2; (b)to take exercise either alone or with other members of their household; (c)to seek medical assistance, including to access any of the services referred to in paragraph 37 or 38 of Schedule 2; (d)to provide care or assistance, including relevant personal care within the meaning of paragraph 7(3B) of Schedule 4 to the Safeguarding of Vulnerable Groups Act 2006(a), to a vulnerable person, or to provide emergency assistance;"

OP
OP
lane

lane

Veteran
The police seem to have blanket power to tell you to go home and if you don't comply they can fine you. I don't think they actually need to prove you are in breach of the rules. Very odd though that the statute is not more specific.

Top Bottom