Cycling UK Advice Coronavirus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I didn't realise that either
Here's the tweet referring to Mr Skipper's ride..

View: https://twitter.com/stravawankers/status/1243288413760942081?s=19

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Problem is, with every one at home, the green spaces get pretty crowded pretty quickly. This is just with perfectly normal use. I went out for a walk a couple of days ago, at lunchtime. I walked past a park and it was way more full than I'd usually expect. This wasn't "idiots treating it like a holiday". It was people going out for a walk, sometimes with dog, sometimes with kids, sometimes alone.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The government is already accessing GPS phone data to determine compliance with aspects of the lockdown to see where it isn't producing the results needed.. Idiots like this will hasten a ban on cycling.
1. How are government accessing GPS phone data? Unlike what you see on TV cop shows, GPS does not receive phone signals so are they doing that through that dodgy JoinZoe app, through fools who have given their permission to share everything with Google/Apple/... or by some other mechanism? Or do you just mean that they're observing which phones are using which masts?
2. Why is Joe Skipper an idiot for doing his work which he cannot do at home? He claims to have sought a doctor's advice, taken precautions, carried all his provisions and not stopped - much more than many people who are still going out to work at jobs which much less obviously require them to go out to an office.

hoopdriver

Guru
A 200-mile ride is simply taking the mick - yes, sure, he's a pro, but that is an extremely long training ride even for a pro as he must very well know. AS for me, I am a professional photographer and in normal circumstances I bring along my camera to capture images on my rides and even though I know perfectly well that stopping briefly on a quiet country lane at dawn, far from anyone, and snapping a few images is not going to increase risk for me or anyone else, I don't do it because I don't want to be a prat. I try to keep within the spirit of the thing - as frustrating as that might be. By showing off like this, this clown is simply going to ruin things for everybody else.

glasgowcyclist

He's one of our top triathaleates. Like he's going to just do a local 20 mile been a professional.

I posted that to clarify that the Stravawankers reference was a direct quote of the account name, not a personal attack by Matticus, as some seem to have misinterpreted it.

However, Mr Skipper didn’t need to do a ride that long, it wasn’t essential. He might earn his income from cycle races as a pro but he wasn’t in one in this instance so the exemption of ‘going to work’ doesn’t apply.

Simply put, he was taking the piss.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
1. How are government accessing GPS phone data? Unlike what you see on TV cop shows, GPS does not receive phone signals so are they doing that through that dodgy JoinZoe app, through fools who have given their permission to share everything with Google/Apple/... or by some other mechanism? Or do you just mean that they're observing which phones are using which masts?
2. Why is Joe Skipper an idiot for doing his work which he cannot do at home? He claims to have sought a doctor's advice, taken precautions, carried all his provisions and not stopped - much more than many people who are still going out to work at jobs which much less obviously require them to go out to an office.
The government has already said that it used phone data to determine compliance with the "request" to avoid pubs, restaurants (which was ignored to the extent that they were required to close). Don't split hairs, you know exactly what I mean
He's an idiot in that if a sufficient number of cyclists push the envelope of "one time exercise per day" (as he is obviously aware he is doing from the title of his ride) then there will be restrictions on what cyclists are permitted to do. This may (as in a number of other European countries) be far stricter than we are currently experiencing

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I , for one, made the decision not to ride my bike on the road in a previous post, and will not until this plague is over. I hope more cyclists will do the same in support of the NHS. Nowadays, with modern technology, one can still exercise without going out. Stay safe people.

glasgowcyclist

The government has already said that it used phone data to determine compliance with the "request" to avoid pubs, restaurants (which was ignored to the extent that they were required to close). Don't split hairs, you know exactly what I mean

True.

My brother is with BT and a recent email to rally staff confirms this, it says:
“We’re providing anonymised, aggregated mobile and wi-fi data to support Government’s efforts to determine the efficacy of its communications and countermeasures. “

It won’t be the only network provider doing this.

Top Bottom