Cycling UK Advice Coronavirus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Here in England we have a history of "Gold Plating" guidance to turn it into urban myth law ..
Those that shout loudest for restriction .... WITHOUT ANY BENEFIT TO SOCIETY .. seem to appear in every crisis.
Humberside Police ... seem to want neighbours to tell tell tales on each other ...
This approach has been compared with the East German STASI in both the Telegraph and the Grauniad today ...

We are better than this ... we will keep each other safe ... we will not give in to bullies, and we will support the Police in their task of upholding the Law .... not the guidance or the suggestion .. the Law ..
Because we all know how to keep each other safe .......
Social Distancing ... If i am cycling alone, along a country lane and 2 police officers stop me to inquire why i am out of my house ... who has broken the Social Distancing Guidance ... me or the Police officers ... :sad: ?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
There is no such restriction. Just that you should "stay local" and "not travel unnecessarily " not quite the same thing.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/coronavirus-guidance-on-access-to-green-spaces

A journey to exercise is not an essential journey if you do not have to make it to get the exercise.

Who can truly say they cannot exercise without first making a journey?

It does appear there may be an allowance to drive to a park or green space, but I'm bound to say if that space is near enough to observe the 'stay local' restriction, it's near enough to walk to.

gavgav

Guru
I see Gove has done an interview, this morning, where he’s said a bike ride between 30 mins and 1 hour “would have thought” be considered acceptable......I fully expect something to be enforced very soon.

Coronavirus: Strict measures could last 'significant period' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52082781

Drago

Legendary Member
I , for one, made the decision not to ride my bike on the road in a previous post, and will not until this plague is over. I hope more cyclists will do the same in support of the NHS. Nowadays, with modern technology, one can still exercise without going out. Stay safe people.
How does that help the NHS? Mile for mile you're more likely to die while walking.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I see Gove has done an interview, this morning, where he’s said a bike ride between 30 mins and 1 hour “would have thought” be considered acceptable......I fully expect something to be enforced very soon.

Enforced how exactly? No one knows how long you’ve been out except yourself. Same with running and walking.

gavgav

Guru
Enforced how exactly? No one knows how long you’ve been out except yourself. Same with running and walking.
You’d be surprised who knows where you’ve been......if you don’t take a mobile phone with you then maybe not

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Support the NHS...
IMG_20200329_133803.jpg

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
How does that help the NHS? Mile for mile you're more likely to die while walking.
Because if I was to have a fall and hurt myself enough to go to hospital, I would then use NHS staff and facilities. That is the reason why cycling is prohibited in France at the moment and it makes sense to me even if the chances of that happening are very very small.

vickster

Legendary Member
Because if I was to have a fall and hurt myself enough to go to hospital, I would then use NHS staff and facilities. That is the reason why cycling is prohibited in France at the moment and it makes sense to me even if the chances of that happening are very very small.
You could do that walking too however

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom