Cycling UK Advice Coronavirus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoopdriver

Guru
I checked and that was on another forum. Sorry for any confusion.

See above. It is specified but not as a simple unconditional number - it's long enough to get the exercise you need but short enough to minimise time away from home.
in other words it is not specified but left up to the individual and their needs.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
in other words it is not specified but left up to the individual and their needs.
Those are words with different meaning.

gavgav

Guru
After a chat with my boss, who said I need to get out for my own Mental Health, I decided to do a 16 mile ride, just under 1&1/2 hours, this evening and I feel so much better for doing it. That will be my limit on length of ride, until this is over. To be honest, I’m actually likely to be closer to people, out in my back garden, with small gardens and neighbours either side, than I am out on a bike!

johnnyb47

Guru
This keeping 2 metres apart from others really can't apply to cyclists either. If a cyclist was 2 metres in front and sneezed you would be in the point of where they sneezed much quicker than opposed to say walking. It's a no brainer that cycling should only be done solo at the moment.

johnnyb47

Guru
I also think if you do want to get out and exercise that little further and longer, pick quiet back roads away from potential people and traffic. Riding through built up areas usually entails stop start traffic. Motorists will have there windows down in the warm weather which is not a good idea when your stuck by them at the lights. Some cyclists will also hold onto street furniture (such as safety railings) at traffic lights, so they don't have to unclip their cycling shoes. Not a good idea as they've probably been touched hundreds of times a day by Tom dick and Harry. Pick a quiet route where you can stop for a breather in quiet surroundings and virtually no people around. If we cycle sensibly with a little forward planning it will pose very little risk to us or others

hoopdriver

Guru
But it is specified.

I fear you may be confusing "specific" and "exact".
I’m not the one who is confused.

OP
OP
lane

lane

Veteran
Just back from my 75 minute walk with the family, saw three other people a couple and the usual dog walker. We all kept well away from each other.

OP
OP
lane

lane

Veteran
I do believe Michael Gove said as long as we would normally ride. I won’t abuse it though and will mostly keep it between 15 and 20 miles. More than enough to keep fitness levels up.

Yes I heard that as well but not seen a link. Nonetheless I would have never taken his advice on anything in the past so won't start now. I suspect his knowledge of cycling is quite limited.

OP
OP
lane

lane

Veteran
Is there a rule about how many of a single family can go out together? I thought families could exercise together but am now being told only two at a time. Should't really have to be hunting round for the guidance on the web it should be a bit clearer in my view.

Top Bottom