Cyclist gets his stolen bike back after seeing it on eBay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davefb

Guru
"i just found it mate at the side of the road"

that works for car thieves apparently...

[edit]

apparently, by it worked for the scrote found in possession of my car...

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I think it comes down to what they can actually prove. If the man says he bought it off a guy in the pub then there's not much can be done without some independent evidence that he stole it. I hope that I'm not right about this and that one of our friendly Bobbies will pile into the thread to explain how this chap could have been prosecuted.

Well the press report does say that he was released without charge, but it also states that enquiries are on going. The guy is not off the hook just yet.
People always want to blame the police in these situations, but I think I'm right in saying that the CPS usually have the last word.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Yes, calm down everyone. "He was released without charge", is sloppy journalism. The police spokesperson said that enquiries were continuing, and at the same time appealed for witnesses.

The seller was arrested on suspicion of theft. There is a rebuttable assumption in British Law that a person in possession of recently stolen property is the thief or a handler. He will have been interviewed about his possession of the bike. I cannot make any assumptions about whether he answered questions, or whether he gave an explanation, but the most likely scenario is that he has been released on police bail to return to the police station at a later date, while the police seek further evidence, which may or may not involve seeking evidence to refute or confirm an explanation that the person gave.

Even if he was released without charge, which is a practice sometimes employed by the police, he will have been told that further enquiries will continue, and if further evidence comes to light he is liable to further arrest.

So, pitchforks back in the cupboard please. ^_^

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
"White forks on the bike had been painted black and new stickers had been slapped on it, but Andrew recognised it as his own - spotting a yellow valve cap he had recently fitted after he lost the original."

Love the bit about the yellow valve cap!:laugh: I also have yellow valve caps.^_^

Drago

Legendary Member
Move along people, nothing to see here.

Top Bottom