Cyclists belong in the gutter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Part time cyclist

Über Member
Following a rather lively discussion with a senior motorist during this lunchtimes ride. it comes about that cyclist should ride in the gutter and not in the middle of the lane commanding my road position.
interesting ehhh!

vickster

Legendary Member
What's a senior motorist? An old one?

What was this individual's well thought out reasoning for this pompous and idiotic point of view?

Funny dat. For some reason there were a fair few doddery old daffodils on my ride today. One of whom I spoke to in words of one syllable. His jerking thumb seemed to think I should be further left. Either that or it was some sort of hand signal from 1908, indicating his horse needed feeding or something. I think the weather must have warmed up their cocoons.

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
i can honestly say that all my "offs" on the bike have involved senior citizens behind the wheel

OP
OP
Part time cyclist

Part time cyclist

Über Member
What's a senior motorist? An old one?

What was this individual's well thought out reasoning for this pompous and idiotic point of view?
not quite sure when i asked him what his problem was he just started hurling "f" words about me riding in the middle of the f, ing road when i told him i was allowed to ride in the middle of this lane to stop moronic drivers trying to squeeze past he go rather wild and started shouting abuse with even more f word... the gentleman following behind him stopped and told him he was out of order and perhaps should retake his driving test, which didn't exactly calm the situation.......

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Aren't senior citizens statistically involved in more accidents than teens? I stand to be corrected. Only last Friday there was a vehicle just stopped in the middle of a main road in Bath. I ran to the elderly woman's aid (heart attack?) only to find she had no idea how to get the car into gear.

"But she'll lose her independence if she doesn't get out in her car." I hear you holler. TOUGH. I don't feel sorry for old ducks. If they are killing people, they should be off the road.

vickster

Legendary Member
Aren't senior citizens statistically involved in more accidents than teens? I stand to be corrected. Only last Friday there was a vehicle just stopped in the middle of a main road in Bath. I ran to the elderly woman's aid (heart attack?) only to find she had no idea how to get the car into gear.

"But she'll lose her independence if she doesn't get out in her car." I hear you holler. TOUGH. I don't feel sorry for old ducks. If they are killing people, they should be off the road.
There are many more 65+ drivers than teens (17-19s) however, and increasing

I'm not sure how many people (do you mean cyclists) they are killing? That's seemingly mostly tipper / skip truck / lorry drivers / van drivers who aren't typically 65+. At least the 65+ are less likely to be driving around on their phones oblivious it seems

Top Bottom