Cyclists belong in the gutter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can be difficult, my mother became progressively less able to drive safely and we decided as a family to stop her driving.

She however resisted, and insisted she was able.

In the end the GP managed to persuade her that it was her ongoing knee problem was the reason she should not drive, and she believed him.

Now we know it was the first stages of Dementia, but at the time we were unaware of this

Stinboy

Über Member
More seriously

The measure is often used to adjust when the answer achieved is not what was desired

For instance if you have two neighbours who commute to the same place, one by bike and one by car.... and have had one accident

The number of journeys is equal, as is the milage, but journey time will benefit the car as it has less accidents per hour

Surely the car has more accidents per hour as it is travelling more quickly?

I could be wrong on this, and I realise I'm being pedantic, but it's been bugging me for ages :smile:

I could be wrong on this, and I realise I'm being pedantic, but it's been bugging me for ages :smile:

Journey is one hour for bicycle so that is one accident per hour
Journey is 40 minutes by car so that is one accident per 40 minutes

That makes you right, and my error

However the principle I was trying to make is that by changing the parameters you get different rates

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts

Cars have about 40 times less accidents per km than pushbikes though, so depending on how fast you ride you will have more accidents per hour regardless. My car seems to average around 30mph so by those statistics you would have about 20 times more accidents per hour on a bike than in a car. Fatalities are x10perkm so x5 per hour.

That said I'm not sure how the DfT define accidents, certainly you could come off your bike, scrape yourself up and heal a week later whereas a minor prang is probably more inconvenient to a car driver.

Stinboy

Über Member
Cars have about 40 times less accidents per km than pushbikes though, so depending on how fast you ride you will have more accidents per hour regardless. My car seems to average around 30mph so by those statistics you would have about 20 times more accidents per hour on a bike than in a car. Fatalities are x10perkm so x5 per hour.

That said I'm not sure how the DfT define accidents, certainly you could come off your bike, scrape yourself up and heal a week later whereas a minor prang is probably more inconvenient to a car driver.

I was really just nitpicking about the maths, but interesting point nontheless :smile:

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Not cure where you're getting those figures from.

Reported RTI rates are about 8.5 times higher for pedal cycles (per billion kms travelled) than for cars or about 3 times higher than for buses and coaches - not 40 times (see page 105).

We also know the reporting rates are skewed, in that RTIs involving cyclists are more likely to result in treatment being sought than those involving motor vehicles (given the higher levels of protection afforded to motor vehicle occupants).
I was getting them from here, which claim to be DfT, but I didn't verify them beyond that.

http://cyclinguphill.com/safe-cycling-stats-cycle-casualties/

Reported Road Casualties Great Britain: 2013 Annual Report - Focus on pedal cyclists
is interesting

Firstly by only dealing with cyclists it limits the data, which shows a problem. It is appropriate, but makes it difficult to look at a wider perspective by limiting in this way

Secondly the breakdowns by area, road type etc are informative for instance there is "no contributing factor" in 50% of cyclist accidents, but only in 27% of other vehicles, failing to look is a factor in 23% of cycle accidents, but 50% in other vehicles, the most common factor in both cases

Interestingly it also discusses the under reporting of cycle incidents ad details the limitations of both Police and Hospital recording systems which partially answers the query of @KnackeredBike

In 2011 the number of pedal cyclist admissions in HES was more than three times the number of seriously injured casualties in accidents recorded by the police.

HES - Hospital Episode Statistics

Top Bottom