Cyclists belong in the gutter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
No, not really. It's not until you get into the very old age group (85+) that the number of incidents (and, for example, the value of insurance claims) goes up.

If you look at things like FPN offences, then the worst group of offenders is consistently the 30-49 age group - for everything from speeding to using a phone.

When you look at KSI statistics, those most likely to kill - or be killed - are in the 18-29 or 30 - 49 age groups.

Thank you. I consider myself a better person now so thank you. My bigotry was unfounded.

Drago

Legendary Member
Which age group is the worst offender per road mile? The elderly might be relatively low in absolute numbers by virtue of driving only 600 yards a week, to Church and back. Can't get enough of that communion wine ;)

arch684

Veteran
My nephew was knocked of his bike a few weeks ago by a 94 year old driver.the police asked him to give up his licence as he was a danger to himself and other road users.He refused as this was the first accident he ever had

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
My nephew was knocked of his bike a few weeks ago by a 94 year old driver.the police asked him to give up his licence as he was a danger to himself and other road users.He refused as this was the first accident he ever had
In hospital we quite often make referrals to the DVLA about whether someone is medically fit to drive. We had an old boy in who could barely see a few metres but was still driving. Another day a 280kg patient again driving, I am sure not in proper control of the car.

Profpointy

Legendary Member

To be fair though, that is fewer accidents than most people

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
[QUOTE 4711084, member: 9609"]44 stone (thats like a quarter ton) ? that is seriously big, could he walk? what sort of car was it ?[/QUOTE]
Indeed, quite extraordinary. He was capable of walking but didn't if there was an easier alternative. Driving a standard medium sized family car. The sheer logistics of even having him in hospital was quite interesting/expensive.

Which age group is the worst offender per road mile? The elderly might be relatively low in absolute numbers by virtue of driving only 600 yards a week, to Church and back. Can't get enough of that communion wine ;)

We had a Rolls Royce locally when I was a kid.

Bought by a rich eccentric in 1926, it used to be brought out, polished, driven to the Church a mile away, driven back, cleaned and put back in the Garage.

When the guy died in the mid 70s and it was sold - everything was virtually original and in almost show room condition

More seriously

The measure is often used to adjust when the answer achieved is not what was desired

For instance if you have two neighbours who commute to the same place, one by bike and one by car.... and have had one accident

The number of journeys is equal, as is the milage, but journey time will benefit the car as it has less accidents per hour

Put in a cycle track that is more direct and shortens the cycle journey, now you can have time equal, and journeys equal... but milage is again in favour of the car as it has less accidents per mile

In both examples the other factors would show the accident per unit to be equal

I remember PS of S@fespeed working out that cyclists killed more people than cars if you used total UK milage. This of course included milage on motorways, dual carriageways where cyclists were excluded, and the long distance nature of commercial drivers. He also used urban estimates for cycle milage IIRC

It did however make the deaths caused per mile travelled higher for cyclists

Drago

Legendary Member
I have no desirable answer in either direction. *If* old people are, say, involved in 50% less accident than the young, but drive only 1/10th the mileage (random numbers picked from thin air to illustrate a position, nothing more) then clearly to encounter one on the road is a statistically potentially a much more dangerous proposition.

I don't fall into either camp, and I feel responsible for my own driving, not someone else who just happens to be a similar age. Nevertheless, as an intellectual exercise I am interested, not as a means to suddenly turn the young or the old into slavering highway murderers.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
No, not really. It's not until you get into the very old age group (85+) that the number of incidents (and, for example, the value of insurance claims) goes up.

If you look at things like FPN offences, then the worst group of offenders is consistently the 30-49 age group - for everything from speeding to using a phone.

When you look at KSI statistics, those most likely to kill - or be killed - are in the 18-29 or 30 - 49 age groups.

Blinking 30-49 year-olds. Should be shot at birth!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
[QUOTE 4711035, member: 43827"]I was cycling along a country lane a few months ago when a pit bike ridden by two kids, must have been around 16/17 years old, swerved in towards me and the passenger tried to kick me off my bike as they overtook me.

You don't see 94 year olds doing that very often.

Funny old world.[/QUOTE]
A pal of mine was forced off his bike by an old chap (estimated 60-70) who told him that he should be riding further left, and emphasised the message by moving his car gradually into the space that my pal was currently occupying, until he was forced to stop.

Although the danger from the 30-49 group more accurately reflects my own experience, I must say.

Top Bottom