Disc Brake 'Spacers'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Grainy image. Sorry. It’s getting dark here in Somerset. I just went asymmetric with the stays and changed them to bend round the calliper. Works well and you wouldn’t notice.

C30CBD73-5883-4C31-BEAA-EFACF02CB570.jpeg

boydj

Legendary Member
I used a brake nut (as used for the front brake) as a spacer with a longer bolt passing through it to the mudguard mount. Saved trying to bend the stays and was effective. You can get the brake nuts at various lengths which lets you keep it neat.

KneesUp

Guru
I’ve used a section of that silicone tubing for aquariums as a spacer for non bike stuff. It has a bit of give so it allows for movement.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
I use the spacers SKS now helpfully supplies with its mudguards for this very purpose:

37020347013_2eb5fb01ac_b.jpg

I fitted them this morning

I'd taken my Octavia for its MoT test, so came home in courtesy car

Granted, they're not the best mudguards, but she's not riding far, or fast (….. not yet anyway)

The rack had to be loosened off, to allow access, & the rear wheel out (had to put rear stays to the inside of the drop-outs)
mudguards. HYB 86. 1.JPG

Once everything was loosely in location, the stays were cut to length using a Dremel
mudguards. HYB 86. 3.JPG

The front is a bit problematic still :blush:
I'd looked in B&Q (Wakefield) on my way home, this morning
They had some (hollow) aluminium tubing, of an appropriate (internal) diameter, but it was about £5 for a metre, & as I only wanted less than an inch...……….. I didn't bother

So....... I used the other clips/method, that was in the wrappers, some elastomers, & plastic brackets that fit onto the fork legs

mudguards. HYB 86. 5.JPG

They'll be okay for now, till I butter up our Engineering staff for some appropriate tubing :okay:

Mudguards. HYB 86. 7.JPG

Now, I need a mudflap
I was thinking of using one of those 'Ass-Savers'

Velochris

Über Member
Valve nuts from inner tubes with threaded valves are always worth keeping to use as spacers.

Should be okay for what you need. I also use them to raise my bottle cage further from the down tube. I find sometimes a bit of sticky sports drink can leak, meaning dirt can get trapped between the cage and frame. If I raise the cage things stay cleaner.

I eventually got spacers

The front is a bit problematic still :blush:
I'd looked in B&Q (Wakefield) on my way home, this morning
They had some (hollow) aluminium tubing, of an appropriate (internal) diameter, but it was about £5 for a metre, & as I only wanted less than an inch...……….. I didn't bother

So....... I used the other clips/method, that was in the wrappers, some elastomers, & plastic brackets that fit onto the fork legs
They'll be okay for now, till I butter up our Engineering staff for some appropriate tubing

Nothing was forthcoming at work, surprisingly!
So, I ended up thinking laterally....
A nylon pen top (cut-able, & compresssion resistant)

Heck!, I could even have gone 'colour-coded':wacko:

But decided against it, sticking with plain old black
A work collegue brought me a variety of stays to try
(riding home today, with them 'up the front' of my jacket was interesting)

I trial-fitted, to see how long the spacer needed to be (different caliper dimensions to my Shimano RS785)

Then the guard ends were cut to length with a disc, on the Dremel
How the spacer looks

And, with all tightened up. greased, & the small grub-screws (for security?) holding the clips to the 'guards in place, it looks like this

Last edited:

robgul

Legendary Member
I got caught out recently with a disc-braked bike - I would usually do the "long bolt and nuts" technique but then noticed that there were bosses for mudguards on the inner face of the fork blades just above the rotor height. Very neat.

Rob

Top Bottom