Do bikes with disc brakes break more spokes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Have not thought about before, one of the guys in our club has just bought a disc braked bike, and someone mentioned they are prone to braking spokes, i just looked at the bike and it has a higher spoke count than the normal rim braked bike, has anyone had any problems with spokes breaking more than usual?

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
No

Ajax Bay

Guru
it has a higher spoke count than the normal rim braked bike
What is the (average/mode) spoke count of a normal rim braked bike?

Levo-Lon

Guru
Absolutely they do..
I braked hard with a front disc brake on my MTB!!
Flew over the bars into a tree and the bike cartwheels down the hill hitting a load of branches a d more trees.

I had a broken spoke!!!!!
If only id had rim brakes id have failed to stop and died.

But No disc brakes dont collapse a wheel

Here's my anecdotal evidence -

Road disc brake bike - 9,000 miles - 700c wheels - 21 spokes per wheel (!) - 0 broken spokes
CX disc brake bike - 5,000 miles - 700c wheels - 28 spokes per wheel - 0 broken spokes
SS disc brake bike - 147 miles - 700c wheels - 32 spokes per wheel - 0 broken spokes.
Cheap MTB hardtail rim brake bike - 1,000 miles - 650b wheels - 32 spokes per wheel - 3 broken spokes

Know nowt about the spoke issue but i have been told that you need to be careful about the fork you use with disk brakes.

As for loaded touring i find good rims, careful rim and brake block maintenance, and v brakes just fine and dandy. Simple. Easy to replace/fix.

Top Bottom