Do you carry a weapon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No guard!

Depends, not on the Catrike or Hurricane, the Street Machine has one, as does the dérailleur equipped Gekko, and the HSD on the other one has a built in guard on the front ring

The Kettwiesel has a boom in front of the bottom bracket

Mind you as a rule all are ridden with a Windwrap fairing in place so there is not an issue of safety

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I'm yet to watch the video, but in many areas of the states self defence can be a valid concern whilst riding a bike. I wouldn't want to be left to fend off a bear/cougar/coyote/wolf with a mini-pump.
Nor would I. The Cougar, more or less a panther wearing ecru, has started to show up in my area as their range expands. Coyotes I already have around me, but they are like a jackal, and run off when humans, especially humans on a 2 wheeled vehicle, come around. Although some young ones had to come and visit the bike one time, they were quite curious, looked everything over, and went on to find their mom, who was nearby, I'm sure. The wolf and bear could be turned with firearms, although the grizzly bear would require something like a small cannon to stop him.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I'm told there are two kinds of bear to beware. the brown bear and the black bear. Survival experts advise that one of them can't climb so you should hide up a tree when chased. The other can climb, but won't touch dead prey so you should roll up in a ball if it chases you and play dead.

50% of fatalities in bear attacks are due to people forgetting which damn bear does what.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm told there are two kinds of bear to beware. the brown bear and the black bear. Survival experts advise that one of them can't climb so you should hide up a tree when chased. The other can climb, but won't touch dead prey so you should roll up in a ball if it chases you and play dead.

50% of fatalities in bear attacks are due to people forgetting which damn bear does what.
So which do you do what for?
Not that there's many bears, of any colour, running wild round here.

..... of course in bear attacks, a cycle helmet is essential.
Here is the mandatory "hemet saved my life" proof:

At the park Monday with his father and mother, Blasioli told the newspaper he had been riding his mountain bike, as he did every weekend, for 45 minutes to an hour when he heard a couple of barks from Pine, one of his two dogs, ahead of him on the narrow, bumpy trail.

He dismounted, expecting to see another park user and planning to tell the dogs to heel. Then he saw the bear.

"He was too close and too quick. I had no chance to decide what to do," said Blasioli, a Boeing Co. software developer who lives in of Port Orchard. "It's surreal. You don't understand this is happening. At one point I thought, 'This is it, I'm going to die.'"

Blasioli said the bear knocked him backward into the brush and bit into the helmet, ripping out a chunk of foam along with the cartilage of his right ear and then tearing some muscle from his arm and shoulder as he kicked and tried to fight back.

"At one point, he bit my side and did one of those bite and jiggle things," he said. "I thought, 'There goes a bunch of meat there.'"

Blasioli said he prayed for his life and almost immediately the bear ran away.

"I don't remember what I said exactly, but I asked God, 'I don't want to die today,'" he said.

Blasioli then managed to get back onto his bike and pedaled back to the trailhead, where he met two people who called for help. He spent the next week at St. Joseph Medical Center in Tacoma.

In the attack, the bear "bit into my shoulder and biceps, so it's been all sewn back up together again, so I haven't been able to move my arm up and down for a while _ and I still can't," he told CNN. "Then he bit on my chest a few times and I had stitches there. He scratched my face and he almost got my neck ... but it didn't go through and get any vital veins.

"Then, you know, of course, he got my ear. My back is still all scratched up. He bit into my leg and I had teeth marks in each arm that have now scabbed over, so I've healed up pretty fast."

He has feeling in his left arm, but his biceps and triceps were sewn together to recreate the muscle, and doctors are unsure how much movement he will regain.

He said it will likely be some time before he resumes his regular bicycle rides in the park _ and when he does he plans to ride with a partner.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
..... of course in bear attacks, a cycle helmet is essential.
Here is the mandatory "hemet saved my life" proof:
Nah! Prayer saved his life: "Blasioli said he prayed for his life and almost immediately the bear ran away."

God does want you to wear a helmet though.:angel:

Joey Shabadoo

God did give us a helmet, it's called a skull.

Wearing a helmet on top of god's helmet might be construed as a criticism.

Joey Shabadoo

Ah, but legs are perfectly designed to push cranks in a circular, pedalling motion.

She also gave us a saddle-shaped crack in our ass!

flyingfish

Now as I feel too worried to cycle around the wilds of Luton unarmed. Do you know how I can mount a machine gun on my handle bars & if so which one will cause least drag?

Top Bottom