Do you carry a weapon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Everyone know's God is a woman and She has a sense of humour...

... she created men.
In her own image or did she add bits?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Did you hear Canadian Grizzlies are mating with Polar Bears who are moving south cos of climate change?

Know what the baby bears are called? "Growlers". I'm not making this up.
"Growlers" is a local term in Cumbria (and maybe elsewhere) for Cornish pasties. Actually these would be useful to distract a charging grizzly although I suspect a rucksack full would be required to put him off you as well.

brand

When cycling at night or on a dark trail. Just in case you get attacked by an animal or somebody.

Attacked by an animal? How dangerous are these rabbits and squirrels? Someone should inform with great haste the DailyMail!!!!!
A pen knife. Does that count?...officer! I carry it for general use and the occasional injured animal or road kill etc. Rural, most people carry a pen knife. Although a lot carry what could be deemed a lock knife. It has an odd mechanism which makes it difficult to define.
Don't generally see many cars if any at night. If and only if I needed it for what the op is implying it is unlikely I/you would remember you had it.
Did need it for Muntjac with a broken neck. In terms of dangerous animals all deer are a danger to car drivers and cyclists but a knife won't help. An injured or cornered (can happen accidentally on a bike) Badger are extraordinarily aggressive. Lot of cars damaged by them and would not want to hit one at speed on a bike. Doubt I would have the bottle to get close enough to kill an injured one. Fox in your chicken coop? You would probably end up worse off. So iron bar, bricks , hammer or machete. So no to knife in that case.
Now a dangerous dog, a knife could help even save your life. Know one person who if there dogs got out you would be looking at very severe injuries...possible death.
Still a bit unlikely not many nutty owners with a dogs that will attack on sight.
So yes carry a knife if you can find dinner on the way to the pub. Extra weight? When I remove my 2 panniers and most of the excess contents then I will think about excess weight!

brand

Well err no because it's a) illegal and b) bloody daft in SW London
It is most certainly not illegal. Is South West London posh? Surely for London you would want something a little bit more extreme than a knife. Lump Hammer? Joking of course.

Ajay

Veteran
hunting-bike.jpg

brand

Nice I like it cross bow better option though as it would probably fit in pannier. You know how pedantic the police are!

brand

Did you hear Canadian Grizzlies are mating with Polar Bears who are moving south cos of climate change?

Know what the baby bears are called? "Growlers". I'm not making this up.
They are still called Grizzly bears as it is always a Male polar bear mating with female grizzly bear. As the female brings up the offspring it is only taught grizzly bear ways.

Last edited:

brand

I prefer the bow, I can't reload a crossbow whilst riding....
Make the first shot count. You shouldn't need a second shot, you can only kill someone once! We are talking about people? The same does apply to animals!

They are still called Grizzly bears as it is always a Male polar bear mating with female grizzly bear. As the female brings up the offspring it is only taught grizzly bear ways.

Hybridization Could Help Polar Bears Survive Environmental Changes
While polar bears and brown bears are strikingly different in their physical appearance, their ancestry seems to be intricately linked -- and could be intermingled again as melting ice brings brown bears and polar bears back into contact with one another, creating hybrids of grizzlies and polar bears called "growler bears" or "pizzly bears."

http://www.treehugger.com/natural-sciences/modern-polar-bears-are-really-from-ireland.html

Top Bottom