Do you ride your n+1s?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LimeBurn

Über Member
Focus Izalco gets ridden all year around as long as its not tipping down - I've heard carbon dissolves at the hint of moisture ;)
The Boardman mountain bike gets ridden all year round if I'm going anywhere near dirt.
The Raleigh Banana is in bits awaiting restoration as is a Triumph at the minute.
The Dawes tandem gets ridden when my wife wants to come along.
The Dawes Galaxy very rarely goes out as I have night mares about how much it cost me to restore it and it takes me a while to forgive myself afterwards :smile:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Yep all three get ridden frequently as they all serve a different purpose.
Same here.
One bike with studded tyres for deep winter, one hybrid for shopping and exploring, one better geared hybrid for touring and hilly rides, one ladies dutch style single speed for commuting when there's no ice and for leading beginners rides (hefty weight and no gears keep you warm at slow speed).
One road bike that was a bargain but is the only I haven't used yet, because I can't reach the brake leavers, needs adjustment, but is meant only for summer leisure rides anyway, so it will get ridden eventually.

jim55

Guru
Good road bike -cube peloton race- used on nice ish days and " proper" r uns of any distance/ effort

Old lovely steel 753 woodrup with dura ace and 105 - on the turbo right now but used when I want to ride steel

A shitty commuter ( geared / rack and mudguards, flat bars ,gas pipe frame that weighs a tonne ) used almost every day for ,,,er,,,, commuting

Thinking about a single speed/fixed but tbh Iv no more space , 3 bikes is enough

MikeW-71

Veteran
Yep, all of them get ridden, some more than others.

Defy Advanced is the "summer bike", doesn't come out so much in winter, but any excuse will do to ride it.
Defy was going to be sold, but it now has guards on full-time and is the "winter bike" and the one I will take on social rides.
Revolt is the commuter and tourer, if I need to carry something, this is the bike for the job.
MTB is... well... an MTB. Gets used less as I am loathe to spend too much money on petrol carting it around.

brand

4 bikes. 2 are Rohloff equipped I cannot make up my mind which one I want to keep. My daughters are trying to help by saying they want to ride them when they visit! One is a tourer the other one is a mountain bike. Both have different trailer fittings. Who am I kidding I am keeping them both.
The 3rd one I have had for 15 years my number one bike for the whole time. Comfortable but I have spent to much money on it and it has spent to much time off the road. Disk front rim back. On the 5th rear wheel. Good knows how many chains and gears. That's the one I get to ride when the daughters visit.
4th is my below zero bike. Spikes on permanent if it says 3 degrees above zero that means it will be zero at least round here. To many wipe outs coming home from pub. In another month I will put it in the shed and bring out my number 3 bike. Number 3 and 4 are just not worth selling. Could do with more room though....a lot more!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Tourer is my all-rounder, with a couple of mountain bikes for off road, and I'm fixing up a couple of road cycles and an expedition tourer. I use the mountain bikes in winter, as the tourer is my pride and joy. I'll probably restore an old Sekai I have to 1970's condition with period parts.

Ganymede

Veteran
I only have two at present - the hybrid for utility and the 'bent for... well, mostly utility! I don't like leaving the 'bent at the station so if I'm doing that I take the hybrid.

I have an old BSO in the garage which I keep meaning to give away...

I will have an n+1 this year I hope, a new 'bent, but I will have to get rid of the old 'bent as I know it won't get ridden after that and it takes up space. Trade-in perhaps. With the new 'bent I might do a bit more leisure riding, ie more than the hardly any I do at present!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Five bikes here. In order of usage:

Specialized Tricross. The do anything, go anywhere bike - and it's the only one with full mudguards. Now with 12k miles covered.

Trek 7.3 hybrid. The easiest one to throw in the car, or a plane, so it gets a fair bit of use.

Trek 6500 mtb. Doesn't get much use as a proper mtb, but the short-cut to Glasgow from here involves a few miles off road, and is a 40 mile ride.

Specialized Secteur. The "good" bike I suppose, but as I'm no road racer I feel a bit out of place on it. No lycra, no clipless, no helmet. Too bad, I still like riding it when the weather's good (about 3 days per year around here).

Puch Alpine 70's restored bike. Bit of a dust collector and should really sell it. But it might come in handy one day, and probably isn't worth much anyway!

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I have one bike that is in rideable condition that doesn't get any use but the others have their places and their times to be ridden. Must admit tho that the Brompton is becoming my day to day N bike of choice. Still keeping the stud tyres on the MTB in case of a late flurry of bad weather and the roadie is back in the utility room from the shed ready for spring to spring properly

Top Bottom