Do you suffer from lack of cycling ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
Over the last couple of week's i have done less than 50 miles on the bike in total :angry:

I don't mind riding in the rain , nero zero temperature's , sub 20+ mph winds . I even have a choice of winter bikes ready to go .

Does anybody else get down or depressed when not cycling on a regular basis ?

I refuse to go the indoor trainer route as it's just not the same

Yes, absolutely. My mood is always better when I’m cycling regularly. I’d even go as far as saying that I wouldn’t have got through the worst time of my life, when I lost my mum, if it wasn’t for keeping up cycling when I could do

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
When I couldn't cycle after my accident, I started to do lots of walking ,just to be outside. I discovered some new paths that you can't get to on a bike.
After my big accident I couldn't cycle or drive for months so walked, a lot. I would walk a 6 mile round trip just to drop off the ironing and often walked about 2.5 miles to do the shopping a couple of times a week instead of the normal weekly big family shop by car. Walking just over a mile with 4 loaded shopping bags hurts your hands and arms...….
It kept me sane!

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Over the last couple of week's i have done less than 50 miles on the bike in total :angry:

I don't mind riding in the rain , nero zero temperature's , sub 20+ mph winds . I even have a choice of winter bikes ready to go .

No.

pawl

Legendary Member
Heres a heartwarming story.

Mrs D is a special needs TA in the village school. It's just under 500 metres away, but Mrs D reluctantly drives because her MS is so variable she can be fine in the morning and unable to walk by tea time. Mini D goes to the same school, so she logically jumps in the car too.

Now, mini D has a Fitbit thing. Athough she's 7 they're all the rage at school, and as it tells the time as well I bought her one.

This week Mrs D has had abdominal surgery so is off work. I've been taking over school run duties, and I have been making her walk too and fro. Mini D has been complaining, but on Tuesday I walked her to Brownies as well and on the way home her Fitbit buzzed because she had broken the 10,000 daily step barrier for the first time ever. Mini D was made up by this and has since been walking or running at every opportunity in the hope of getting her steps up, and thus beating her mates.

Good for her.

lane

Veteran
It's not a good thing for me if I don't exercise. My mood deteriorates and I'm most likely not so good to live with. It doesn't have to be cycling specifically but that's what I enjoy best. When I can't or choose not to get out on the bike in the winter I do intervals on the stationary bike in the gym followed by a swim session and all is good. The intervals are just unpleasant enough to be enjoyable. Also do some walking at the weekend sometimes. Roll on the spring.

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I'm the opposite to the OP: because my bikes are my only transport, sometimes I get fed up from cycling, I do cycle short journeys most days.
If I don't have to ride to work, I often do other active stuff, like walking, gardening or swimming.
My job is quite active too, so it's not like I'm missing the exercise if I don't cycle.

I was hoping to take it out and really test the Marathon Winters over the moors
Did you embed the studs by riding on (smooth-is) tarmac for around 40 miles, as instructed on the label?
If you didn't you will lose some studs, maybe lots.

My social group rides have been cancelled lately due to risk of ice.
Riding Marathon winters you don't have to worry about ice, you're invincible, just take care when you put your foot down to stop ^_^

Jimidh

Veteran
I miss wearing shorts and short sleeved jerseys.

I miss looking forward to getting out on my bike rather than dragging myself out the door in full winter gear, having that extra espresso before I leave.

I do still love it when i’m out. I even love Zwifting or Trainer Roading it in the garage.

But roll on the Summer.

gavgav

Guru
I'm the opposite to the OP: because my bikes are my only transport, sometimes I get fed up from cycling, I do cycle short journeys most days.
If I don't have to ride to work, I often do other active stuff, like walking, gardening or swimming.
My job is quite active too, so it's not like I'm missing the exercise if I don't cycle.

Did you embed the studs by riding on (smooth-is) tarmac for around 40 miles, as instructed on the label?
If you didn't you will lose some studs, maybe lots.

Riding Marathon winters you don't have to worry about ice, you're invincible, just take care when you put your foot down to stop ^_^

That tends to be why I don’t cycle to work, as with having a stressful job I just think I would lose the enjoyment of getting out on the bike, to get over a bad day at work. Having the half an hour, after getting back from work, in the car, and then getting out on the bike seems to work for me.

Not really I used to suffer up north when it could easily be a month before you can get out (ice, wind etc) but since I've moved down here I've found the weather forecast over-hyped and you can get out most days :okay:

Top Bottom