Do you suffer from lack of cycling ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slioch

Guru
Haven't been out on the bike since Wed' and I'm starting to get a bit twitchy. Having to wait in today for a heating engineer to turn up so can't go out, but will spend an hour on the turbo trainer later.

I'm planning to do my first 100 miler of the year next week so have been ramping up the mileage for that. If the weather isn't too windy tomorrow then hoping to do 50-60 miles then.

I'm a fairly "active" kind of person, so need to get some form of exercise every day, even if it is just a 2 mile walk to the shops and back.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I'll often do 50+ but I tend to do 10 20 miles, but often that's mtb off road so a good ride as a rule
In Spring through autumn I enjoy 35 milers......any more and it becomes hard work although I do throw the occasional 50 in. I tend to do 2 per week plus I play golf twice each week and do some walking.

Levo-Lon

Guru
In Spring through autumn I enjoy 35 milers......any more and it becomes hard work although I do throw the occasional 50 in. I tend to do 2 per week plus I play golf twice each week and do some walking.

I do 15000-25000 steps every day and often more..

It's exertion for a long period that does me in

Yes!

At the moment it's a combo of the bad weather, feeling too tentative on slippery roads and the fact that my right knee is taking longer to heal after my, erm, unscheduled dismount, than I thought it might.

But soon we'll be out of the worst of the winter weather, and with longer days, more opportunity to get out in better conditions.

On the flip side, I'm walking plenty, and keeping a solid fuel heating system fed with logs certainly maintains the fitness side of things. In fact, I'm about to head off and swing an axe at some wood for half an hour or so.

vickster

Legendary Member
Mine is medical.. Have good days though.
I managed a 36 mile evening ride after a busy work day, its the neck and my auto immune system, I just bonk.. And don't recover.. Annoying as I like being out and about
Ditto...I just try to manage / put up with the pain. I’m ok with little and often

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Does anybody else get down or depressed when not cycling on a regular basis ?

Not me.

I do prefer to get out regularly but if it doesn't happen it's no biggie.

Cycling is not a massively exciting thing for me - mainly a means to an end ie keeping me fit for hiking and clambering among the mountains and for hopefully keeping the Grim Reaper at bay for as long as possible.

Drago

Legendary Member
As long as I'm doing something. Walking the dog, in the shack with my radios, on a SAR callout, up the range...

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
I miss my (almost)daily out..
I have plenty to fill in in the off time but I miss being out there..
Ice and wind is my problem (I'm not aerodynamic nor flatulent)
I was off the bike for 20 days due to WX and put in 3 days out and grounded today due to some nonce called Erik...
I guess that's winter months for you..

Katherine

Guru
When I couldn't cycle after my accident, I started to do lots of walking ,just to be outside. I discovered some new paths that you can't get to on a bike.
I had also never been through the doors of a gym, but I have done a few spinning classes recently to keep the legs going. I don't want to ride in the dark yet so that's all I can do during the week.
Lots of the Sunday rides have been cancelled because of the weather.

Drago

Legendary Member
That's a fair degree of stepping out

Heres a heartwarming story.

Mrs D is a special needs TA in the village school. It's just under 500 metres away, but Mrs D reluctantly drives because her MS is so variable she can be fine in the morning and unable to walk by tea time. Mini D goes to the same school, so she logically jumps in the car too.

Now, mini D has a Fitbit thing. Athough she's 7 they're all the rage at school, and as it tells the time as well I bought her one.

This week Mrs D has had abdominal surgery so is off work. I've been taking over school run duties, and I have been making her walk too and fro. Mini D has been complaining, but on Tuesday I walked her to Brownies as well and on the way home her Fitbit buzzed because she had broken the 10,000 daily step barrier for the first time ever. Mini D was made up by this and has since been walking or running at every opportunity in the hope of getting her steps up, and thus beating her mates.

Top Bottom