Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Never

Votes: 43 36.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
So helmet's don't save lives then?
What about the cyclist who had a rotational injury due the wearing a helmet in an accident.

Should pedestrians wear helmets too seeing as there are more head injuries reported in hospital due to pedestrians falling over then Cyclists without helmets hitting their noggin. (Read this in another thread on here)

Confused now?
Helmets help to reduce risk.
In reducing risk in effect they can save lives.
for the injury caused by the helmet im sure its better than being dead from a fatal head impact injury.
I quess you could wear a helmet, for people who fall over alot. Start off a new trend

Kevlar does not stop every bullet. Does that mean we should tell troops not to wear it.
Its all about reducing impact.
The body can natural take alot of impact damage and still be fine. With the aid of a helmet this adds to the barrier.
Its alot like wearing a jumper when its cold. The body can only do so much to keep you warm but the jumper helps keep the heat in. aka helmet reduces impact to the head.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Helmets help to reduce risk.
In reducing risk in effect they can save lives.
for the injury caused by the helmet im sure its better than being dead from a fatal head impact injury.
I quess you could wear a helmet, for people who fall over alot. Start off a new trend

Kevlar does not stop every bullet. Does that mean we should tell troops not to wear it.
Its all about reducing impact.
The body can natural take alot of impact damage and still be fine. With the aid of a helmet this adds to the barrier.

So cyclists are silly for not wearing a helmet.
Are pedestrians silly for not wearing a helmet too?

Stonepark

Über Member
If you have a injury to the head. A helmet can reduce it or kill off the impact.
No its not 100% to save your life but you have a better chance. Like taking kemo if you have cancer.

Of course you can injure another part of your body.

I agree that you may have a notionally better chance but the problem is a foam helmet for cycling is only able to provide shock/impact protection to 12mph and therefore of little influence on an impact exceeding this, therefore other than falling off your bike It doesn't matter what the speed is 20mph, 40mph, 60mph, it has a very small percentage of effect, that considering other risks, a lot of people are of the opinion the benefit is outweighed by the liabilities.

For example if you look at horse riders, a fair number now wear 'body armour' in addition to a helmet (which is a higher spec and provides more protection than a cycling helmet) as this reduces impact damage to the spine, other bones and organs.

Why do you not wear body armour when you cycle???????

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
So cyclists are silly for not wearing a helmet.
Are pedestrians silly for not wearing a helmet too?

The impact a ped would suffer from falling compared to a cyclists falling or getting hit by a car for example is far less. Its only really old people who suffer a injury that could kill them because they are physically weak.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
I agree that you may have a notionally better chance but the problem is a foam helmet for cycling is only able to provide shock/impact protection to 12mph and therefore of little influence on an impact exceeding this, therefore other than falling off your bike It doesn't matter what the speed is 20mph, 40mph, 60mph, it has a very small percentage of effect, that considering other risks, a lot of people are of the opinion the benefit is outweighed by the liabilities.

For example if you look at horse riders, a fair number now wear 'body armour' in addition to a helmet (which is a higher spec and provides more protection than a cycling helmet) as this reduces impact damage to the spine, other bones and organs.

What it means is it protects you up to around 12mph then your head does the rest. This is better than your head doing all the work. if you see my point. its still worth having.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
1995939 said:
Horrible story and terrible for all concerned. Having said that, do you really know as a certainty that a helmet definitely would have saved this person's life? If so how?
Well thats what the person told me... sooo

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
Should pedestrians wear helmets too seeing as there are more head injuries reported in hospital due to pedestrians falling over then Cyclists without helmets hitting their noggin. (Read this in another thread on here)

Isn't that possibly to do with the fact that there is massively more pedestrians than cyclists.....?
I would guess that as a percentage, cyclists suffer more head injury's than pedestrians do. So a strange argument that one.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
So wearing one will save your bonce from a squishing by an arctic? :whistle::troll:

Might keep her head warm - passing arctic blast ? :laugh:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Isn't that possibly to do with the fact that there is massively more pedestrians than cyclists.....?
I would guess that as a percentage, cyclists suffer more head injury's than pedestrians do. So a strange argument that one.

There are massively more pedestrians than cyclists.
There are more pedestrian head injuries.
We want, I presume, to confer the greatest safety benefit on the greatest number of people.

So why then, does no-one ever suggest helmets for pedestrians? It would save more lives than pedestrians for cyclists.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Doubt it. Had more head injuries as a pedestrian than a cyclist - even been in hospital a couple of times - neither near a bike.

I do wear a lid - mainly to keep my bonce cool (used with a skull cap - cap soaks up sweat, big vents cool cap, sweat evaporates). Only on two occasions have I sort of been glad I had a lid on - one when I hit a low branch in a cross race, and when I was knocked off three years ago - saved my scalp from a good skinning on the tarmac, shame it didn't protect my shoulder, hip and leg ?

If you remember helmets are just about good enough to stop a bit of road rash. I've only ever once touched the ground with my head in a cycling crash (mentioned above) - it's normally shoulders and hips. Breaking bones in those areas is very common.

Oh and it saves me hassle from the kids/missus - anything for an easy life.

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
There are massively more pedestrians than cyclists.
There are more pedestrian head injuries.
We want, I presume, to confer the greatest safety benefit on the greatest number of people.

So why then, does no-one ever suggest helmets for pedestrians? It would save more lives than pedestrians for cyclists.

Haven't you just answered your own question?

Because as a % it is much more dangerous (more head injury's) cycling than walking.

Please note, I am not advocating nor condoning the use of helmets, I am just pointing out that using the pedestrian comment is pretty flawed. Cycling is "dangerous" walking is much less. Whether that means helmets are effective is not something I can answer so each to their own.

lukesdad

Erm half a ton of horse versus 14lb of bike, got a clue yet ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom