Dog in the old life yet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
As soon as Mrs D gets home from Brownies I shall be off out for a run.

I must stress that she is not a brownie, rather that she runs the local brownie group in the village.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
And 11:24 for my first mile, so one secknd quicker. I didn't stop the Garmin properly when I got home so the time for my second mile is about 3 minutes out if whack, and messes up my average.

Heading out in particular it felt faster, and much less walking.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
That has just added 5 years to my life target... I was thinking in terms of aiming to get to 81 in reasonable condition then popping off before things got too gnarly, but I could certainly handle being 86 if it were like that! :okay:
Being 86 I find him incredible. I was never a distance runner and in earlier life 440 yards was my preferred maximum.
Luck does play a part in that my physical problems involve balance which means I could not really run without probably falling over and I don’t thing running with a couple of sticks is a viable proposition.
This is why I now use a trike but being limited in distance due to where I live it is difficult to make comparisons. On the mainland north of Oban 40 miles is possible and I did that last summer, avoiding the steepest hills like over from Loch Etive to Barcaldine.
So long as I can keep on triking I hope to last a bit longer but nothing is ever certain.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
On the mainland north of Oban 40 miles is possible and I did that last summer, avoiding the steepest hills like over from Loch Etive to Barcaldine.
Well done. That road over to Barcaldine is a pretty stiff climb so I'm not surprised that you avoid it. Here's me heading in the other direction towards the loch a few years ago...

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Well done. That road over to Barcaldine is a pretty stiff climb so I'm not surprised that you avoid it. Here's me heading in the other direction towards the loch a few years ago...

View attachment 626310
Yes been there, done that in both directions latterly on my Brompton. The Barcaldine start is easier and I stopped always to watch the fish in the pool under the bridge near the top just before the cattle grid. Happy days.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Going to try to run Thursday and Saturday, then will give my kegs a 2 days rest and resume Tuesday. Im hoping to get to the point where im doing 5 runs a week, 4 x 3 or 4 milers, and 1 x 8 or 9 miler.
Good luck with your 5 minute mile goal! That is a quick target and probably the preserve of decent club runners.

40 years ago when I was 26 I built up (over 18 months) to a 5-miler each night Mon-Fri and one 10 miler over the weekend.

Try as I might I could never get under 7 minutes/mile average over 5 miles and 9 minutes/mile average over 10 miles.

Hang in there and good luck!

Top Bottom