Dogs on public land

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
does anyone know why it's considered desirable to scoop up dog shyte into a plastic bag and then hang it from a tree branch?

I don't own a dog, and people didn't do it when I was younger
I think the idea is that one picks up the poop when others are watching, then slings it as soon as the coast is clear.

MarkF

Guru
It's the majority of dog owners getting the responsible few tarred with the same brush.

I agree with him, I don't like dogs but have to walk my mum's daily, I don't have any affinity with other dog owners who I meet so have no problem telling them to clear up their mutt's crap. IMO the majority watch their dogs in "business" and only clean up if somebody is around, or like me, waiting for them to act.

The woods where I walk have many trees liberally sprinkled with little bags of poo, lovely, the excuse of "We leave them there to pick up on the way back" being, well, poo.

The dog walking businesses are the worst, really, you think they clear up after 5/6/7+ dogs?

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
IMO the majority watch their dogs in "business" and only clean up if somebody is around, or like me, waiting for them to act.
That is my observation too. If the owner is looking around furtively, you can bet they are wanting to leave it and walk on. I once saw an owner watch their dog do the business. They then produced a wad of tissues, at which point I thought they were going to remove the excrement. I couldn't have been more wrong. They yanked up the dog's tail, wiped the dog's backside, and then discarded the tissue on the ground. Bit draconian, but maybe DNA database of dogs is the answer, with dog owners picking up the bill.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Slopes get slippery when covered in dog doodoo I find.

Non-dog owning folk are just tired of out of control pets spoiling their enjoyment of public spaces, e.g. wrecking picnics, frightening children, and of having to deal with the disgusting ordure they too often leave behind, tis all.
Oh Mr Ambassador with such hyperbole, you spoil us.

Have you ever had a career as a columnist for the Daily's Mail or Express?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I agree with him, I don't like dogs but have to walk my mum's daily, I don't have any affinity with other dog owners who I meet so have no problem telling them to clear up their mutt's crap. IMO the majority watch their dogs in "business" and only clean up if somebody is around, or like me, waiting for them to act.

The woods where I walk have many trees liberally sprinkled with little bags of poo, lovely, the excuse of "We leave them there to pick up on the way back" being, well, poo.

The dog walking businesses are the worst, really, you think they clear up after 5/6/7+ dogs?
I do like dogs but don't feel any more affinity to the owners than I do to people wearing the same type of shoes as me or to many cyclists.

I'm also happy to tell them to pick up after their dog, its happened a few times & I do it by handing them one of my stash of poo bags and saying: here you go, since you've run out, and give them a grin. never had one refuse my kind offer.

My pal who owns and runs a dog walking business has it specified as a condition of him taking on clients that they provide poo bags with the mutt.

MarkF

Guru
My pal who owns and runs a dog walking business has it specified as a condition of him taking on clients that they provide poo bags with the mutt.

Oh come on! I'd have that condition too if I was in the dog walking business. I am sure the owners think they are doing their bit............. handing over poo bags, not actually dealing with the poo. In real life, here's what happens.....van parks up, tailgate opens, excited dogs exit into woods and go crackers, 5/6/7+ running off everywhere. You think a person can visually track them all, never mind which ones are crapping?

martint235

Dog on a bike
Oh come on! I'd have that condition too if I was in the dog walking business. I am sure the owners think they are doing their bit............. handing over poo bags, not actually dealing with the poo. In real life, here's what happens.....van parks up, tailgate opens, excited dogs exit into woods and go crackers, 5/6/7+ running off everywhere. You think a person can visually track them all, never mind which ones are crapping?
My nephew runs a dog walking business. I'd expect the bags to be free as part of the charge for dog walking.

SD1

The woods where I walk have many trees liberally sprinkled with little bags of poo, lovely, the
I find this very odd. Although people don't clean up after their dogs. I have never ever seen dog poo bags left anywhere. This sounds just like car drivers who throw their McDonalds crap out the window.

Last edited:

SD1

It's dog walking business he should be supplying the bags. If you ask them to supply they will be the cheapest possible. The ones your fingers go through.
PS wilkos are extra thick.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I find this very odd. Although people don't clean up after their dogs. I have never ever seen dog poo bags left anywhere. This sounds just like car drivers who throw their McDonalds crap out the window.

Try cycling along the Leeds and Liverpool canal from the Liverpool end. The fences and hedges are festooned with bags of fermenting dog faeces.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
You clearly have no idea what you are talking about here and are letting a cowboy or your obvious prejudice speak for you.

Don't worry tho there's plenty of company on here.

Top Bottom