Durness to Dover.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Next tuesday 7th Sept. I am off to Durness to do the other Diagonal, Durness to Dover. As I dont have to worry about any timelines, it will be interesting to see how it changes, as I wander downhill to Dover.

Here is my route, the section numbers dont relate to days, just how I worked the routes out. if anyone want the GPX files for it I can send to them.
Also any advice on any of the sections?.

Plans thus far are:

7[sup]th[/sup] Sept Night sleeper to Inverness.

8[sup]th[/sup] Sept take the Highland cycle bus to Durness.

(if the train arrives in Inverness on time, otherwise cycle to Dingwell and board the bus there on the 9[sup]th[/sup] Sept)

Sect. 1. Cycle Durness to Cape Wrath and return (Weather/Ferry permitting)

Sect. 2. Durness to Hope (A838). Hope via B road Strath More to Allnabad (31 Miles) wild camp.

Sect. 3. Allnabad, Broad to Altnaharra A836 NCN 1, South to Laig, B 864/NCN1 to Invershin Station, to Ardgay. (41.5 Miles)

Sect. 3-ALT. Allnabad Land rover track, Via Gobernuisgach Lodge, Suil a’ Bhadain Duinn, West Merkland A838/ Land rover track to Corry Kinloch, Land rover track to Ducally Lodge, B road to Rosehall. A837/B Road/NCN1 to Ardgay. (48 Miles hard day on rough mountain tracks so might wild camp near to Rosehall at the 35Ml mark).

Sect 4. Ardgay or Rosehall, A836/NCN1 to Wester Fearn, B9176 to Alness, B817 to Dingwell, NCN1 to Inverness (44Miles or 57 from Rosehall ) YHA or BB Inverness.

Sect 5. Inverness.

Sect. 6. Inverness NCN1 to Leanach, NCN 7 to Tomatin, Carrbridge, NCN Coylumbridge. (42 Miles)

Sect 7. Coylumbridge NCN 7 to Drumguish Here I have thoughts if the weather is ok, to take the road and Land rover/single-track through Glen Tromie and the Gaick pass to the Dalnacardoch Lodge to rejoin NCN/A9 then Wades road to Trinafour to Trummel bridge (49 Miles).

Sect. 8. Trummel Bridge, Kenmore, Corrymuckloch, Crief, Dunblane and Stirling. (52 miles)

Sect. 9. Stirling A9 to Falkirk, Armadale, A706/B road to Addiewell, B road/A70 to Carnwath, B7016 to Biggar. (47 Miles)

Sect. 10. Biggar B7016 to Broughton, A701 to Tweedsmuir, B Road to Cappercleuch, A708 to Gordon Arms RJ then B709/B711 to Hawick, A698/A6088 to Bonchester Bridge, B6357/B Road to Saughtree, B Road to Keilder. (74 Miles)

Sect. 11. Keilder.

Sect. 12. Keilder, Falstone, Bellingham, NCN 68/72 to Barton Mill, NCN 72 to Haltwhistle, NCN 68/72 Coanwood, NCN 68 Alston. (56 Miles)

Sect. 13. Alston, NCN 68/7 to Carigill, NCN 7/ B6277 to Middleton in Teesdale, B6277 to Barnard Castle, B roads to Richmond, B road to Catterick Bridge, B6271 to Northallerton, NCN 71 to Sutton – under – Whitestonecliffe. (72 Miles)

Sect. 14. Sutton – under – Whitestonecliffe, A170/NCN65 to Easingwold, Sutton –on-the-Forest, York, B1228Melbourne, minor road to Sutton upon Derwent, minor road to A1079/B1246, to Barmby Moor to Pocklington, NCN66 to Market Weighton. (47 Miles)

Sect.15. Market Weighton minor road to North Cave, West End, Ellerker, NCN 65 to NCN 1 Humber Bridge, Barton-upon-Humber, NCN1 to Market Rasen. (54 miles)

Sect.16 . Market Rasen NCN 1 to Lincoln, Minor roads to Marston, Barkston, A607 to Grantham. (45 Miles)

Sect .17. Grantham A52/B6403/Minor roads to Bitchfield, B1176/A151 Corby Glen, B1176 to Ryhall, Minor Roads, Uffington, Barnack, Ufford, Marholm, NCN63 Bypass Peterbough, NCN12/A15 Yaxley, Minor roads to Holme, B660/B1040 to Ramsey, B1040 Warboys, B1040/B1089/B1050 Earith, B1050 to Willingham, Longstanton, NCN51 to Cambridge .(75 Miles)

Sect 18. Cambridge, NCN11 to Sawston, minor roads to Babraham, A1307, Little Abington, Minor roads to Linton, Bartlow, Castle Camps, Helions Bumpstead, minor roads to Finchingfield, B1057 to Great Bardfield, Minor roads to Rayne, minor roads to Great Waltham, Minor roads towards Chelmsford, Writtle, Stock, B1007 to Billericay, Minor roads to Gravesend. (73 Miles)

Sect.19. Gravesend NCN1 to Rochester, Gillingham, Sittingbourne , Faversham, Whitstable, Canterbury. (51Miles)

Section .20. Canterbury NCN1 to Dover. (18 Miles).

Total Map Road miles: 823

Good luck. Next year, I may be doing a similar route, so I'd be interested in reading your comments on the roads, especially the path to Cape Wrath.

OP
OP
Ticktockmy

Ticktockmy

Guru
Good luck. Next year, I may be doing a similar route, so I'd be interested in reading your comments on the roads, especially the path to Cape Wrath.

Looking at the cape wrath website it seems its a old tarmac road which is no longer maintained as the lighthouse if now unmanned, but they drive a Mini bus along it during the summer months, so cannot be that bad..we will find out next week.
Once done it will be on my Multiply site.

theloafer

Legendary Member
applecross and cape wrath 140.jpg applecross and cape wrath 144.jpg applecross and cape wrath 145.jpg applecross and cape wrath 151.jpg applecross and cape wrath 155.jpg applecross and cape wrath 169.jpg applecross and cape wrath 171.jpg applecross and cape wrath 172.jpg hi flying dodo
here are some shots of our trip to cape wrath 2006 we were useing tourering bikes i had 700x32 cant remember what jim had was sim i think . i was a little bit dissapointed after reading other ppl,s account,s. i was expecting a very hard ride poss we picked a good day weather was great no wind we even loaded up with extra food just in case...road surface then was good for all the abuse it must get we did try and do it the year before on our lejog,s ride but could not get across the weather was blowing a hoolie

hi flying dodo
here are some shots of our trip to cape wrath 2006 we were useing tourering bikes i had 700x32 cant remember what jim had was sim i think . i was a little bit dissapointed after reading other ppl,s account,s. i was expecting a very hard ride poss we picked a good day weather was great no wind we even loaded up with extra food just in case...road surface then was good for all the abuse it must get we did try and do it the year before on our lejog,s ride but could not get across the weather was blowing a hoolie

Thanks. The road looks far better than most all Sustrans paths, so riding 23's shouldn't be a problem!

OP
OP
Ticktockmy

Ticktockmy

Guru
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Checked woth MOD today regarding Cape Wrath Range use on the 9th Sept. Sods law is in action, the Bus and ferry will not be running as they are using the range at this point of time. So we will need to check again on then morning of the 9th

OP
OP
Ticktockmy

Ticktockmy

Guru
[attachment=727:applecross and cape wrath 140.jpg][attachment=728:applecross and cape wrath 144.jpg][attachment=729:applecross and cape wrath 145.jpg][attachment=730:applecross and cape wrath 151.jpg][attachment=731:applecross and cape wrath 155.jpg][attachment=732:applecross and cape wrath 169.jpg][attachment=733:applecross and cape wrath 171.jpg][attachment=734:applecross and cape wrath 172.jpg]hi flying dodo

I had been let to believe the road was in a very bad condition, but I had my doubts as the bus seems to manage it. and knowing the MOD they normally keep their Range roads graded. Looking at the pic,s the road looks ok to me.

snorri

Legendary Member
I've never been over there with a bike, but had the luxury of a hire car last time I was on that road, a Citroen Dayane (spg?). It was in January, but the weather was fine and we were able to roll the roof back and take the air. It had no handbrake, and I well remember the rumble as we inspected some off road equipment, and looked round to see the Dayane roll off the road and bounce through the heather shedding a door before it ground to a halt. Fortunately there were three of us and we were able to manhandle Dayane back on to the road.
Happy days. :smile:

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
I've never been over there with a bike, but had the luxury of a hire car last time I was on that road, a Citroen Dayane (spg?). It was in January, but the weather was fine and we were able to roll the roof back and take the air. It had no handbrake, and I well remember the rumble as we inspected some off road equipment, and looked round to see the Dayane roll off the road and bounce through the heather shedding a door before it ground to a halt. Fortunately there were three of us and we were able to manhandle Dayane back on to the road.
Happy days. :smile:

How did you get the car over there? I dare say you already know, but the usual 'ferry' is only a ferry in the loosest of interpretations - i.e. the driver may or may not pitch up at the times given on the notice by the quay and, if he does, spends a long time pootling around before baling out the rainwater from the tiny vessel and eventually cranking the thing up and finally indicating that he is indeed the ferryman and open for business!

Anyway, to anyone deliberating on whether to make the trip out there, bombing runs permitting and despite the comedy ramshackle approach to business and providing services in the far north-west, the journey to Cape Wrath is well worthwhile. Bad luck you may have to miss it, Ticktockmy!

OP
OP
Ticktockmy

Ticktockmy

Guru
Sods Law at work again I see, this evening I g start my journey to Scotland and Durness and it peeing down here, and forcast to do same for a few days. Its bad enough that the army and Navy and Airforce are also playing silly games on the Cape Wrath range, so it looks like the Ride out to the lighthouse will not happen...need to get the angry mat out and stamp my feet....Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

theloafer

Legendary Member
lol..ticktock we felt the same way in 2005 but it was the weather that stopped us to windy the ferry man said (woose)but you cant control the weather was made worse as we only made our minds up to go to cape wrath at lairg where it left for the cape or straight up to bettyhill and once you you take the left there is no other road lol... but ticktock cape wrath will always be there mate :thumbsup:

larry

OP
OP
Ticktockmy

Ticktockmy

Guru
Well My trip did not go as well as planned, but I managed the Durness to Carlisle part of it. The vagaries of the weather, far from helped, also my need to watch the wild life wasted more time. However, I did 446 mls, in 7 days. Meandering this way and twixt way around the lanes, fascinating, just to sit quietly and watch the Red squirrels

In the Little Deli cafe in Biggar, the owners family are keen Cyclist, when he saw my plans to go to Kielder via the back roads from Tweedsmuir; he quickly deterred me from that route, as it seems it quite a hard ride for a road bike let alone a fully laden tour bike

When I got to Carlisle, having looked at the weather forecast for the next few day in Northern England, I though Bugger that for a game of soldiers, went to the station enquired if there were any bike space available to Euston, which there was, so had a nice first class upgrade seat back to London, and a quick cycle across to London bridge for the first Capital Connect to Three bridges.

So somewhen early next year I will have to go back to Carlisle and do the Southern part of the journey.

Top Bottom