E bay and bidding.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beepbeep

yes --- much better.

I'll look at ebay for DVDs and stuff but knowing that it's 3 weeks away in China usually blunts my enthusiasm. There's a lot to be said for perusing the shelves in charity shops, or my current favourite, buying from MusicMagpie.
Also Amazon can be good for used, where you can pick up books for a penny plus postage.
Ebay is being wrecked by automatic bidding or bidding bots.

D

Deleted member 26715

I just decide what I'm happy to pay, bid immediately with several days to go, if I win it, I win it, if I don't it went for more money than I was prepared to pay.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
E bay and bidding

Don't bother! No matter how much you bid there's always someone who'll outbid you right at the last second. :thumbsdown:
I am typing this post on a very nice phone that I bought on eBay for £85. It was in perfect condition and had cost over £400 when new. I also got my CAADX cx bike in great condition at half the new price. I will carry on buying!

I can't remember ever selling anything on eBay though... :whistle:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I am typing this post on a very nice phone that I bought on eBay for £85. It was in perfect condition and had cost over £400 when new. I also got my CAADX cx bike in great condition at half the new price. I will carry on buying!

I can't remember ever selling anything on eBay though... :whistle:
Well i just couldn't be bothered to put in bids while i wait days to see if i've been successful or most likely not. I only buy,or think about buying items with a set price,though sometimes you can offer less and it's up to the seller whether he/she accepts your lesser offer,which in most cases they will as long as it's not something daft like 40% of what they're asking.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Sniping is an art form. Don't knock it until you have tried it. Always satisfying nicking the sale with 3 seconds left from the person who has been bidding on it all week :laugh:
Yes but isn't the successful bidder then paying over the odds for that item? By all means try to outbid the others,but not to the point were you've committed yourself to paying more for something than it's worth. I did this with a chair i fancied,last year. I just had to have it! I put inn a daft offer then realiased the chair wasn't really worth what i was offering. Ok,some will say if you really want it it's worth it no matter how much you're willing to pay,but let's just say on this occasion i was very happy that someone outbid my bid right at the end.

D

Deleted member 26715

Yes but isn't the successful bidder then paying over the odds for that item?
No you put your maximum in, it doesn't go bidding infinitum, but what it sometimes does is lull the other biffers into a false sense of security so as not to increase their maximum bid.

Well i just couldn't be bothered to put in bids while i wait days to see if i've been successful or most likely not. I only buy,or think about buying items with a set price,though sometimes you can offer less and it's up to the seller whether he/she accepts your lesser offer,which in most cases they will as long as it's not something daft like 40% of what they're asking.

One recent innovation is for ebay to charge sellers who don't tick the option to accept offers.
Ebay selling has become a race to the bottom lately. I think they're trying to increase their throughput by forcing seller's expectations down, and so increase their market share.
I got far better results selling all my retro computers and software to a guy that sells through his own website.

D

Deleted member 26715

One recent innovation is for ebay to charge sellers who don't tick the option to accept offers.
Interesting I stopped selling on Fleecebay because it was becoming just that, by the time you'd paid all the fees to them & Paypoo who they own it seemed like they were getting 25% in commision, all you had to do was get the postage slightly wrong & you may as well throw the item away as I was losing money.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I only sell on eBay when they offer £1 final value fees. However, I know I am running the risk of being ripped off every time I sell anything.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The first thing I did was to see what similar phones had gone for in the previous months. Many had been sold for £100+ but a few had gone for less. My limit was £100.

I narrowed my search to sales ending in the next week or so and put a limit of £100 on the search. That gave me a shortlist. I checked each item in the list and eliminated phones that were not in good enough condition or whose vendor didn't look trustworthy enough. I then waited until the first in the remaining list was 1 minute from selling and put in my maximum bid. I lost out a few times but then I spotted an auction with a Buy It Now price. I offered BIN - £9 and was rejected so I made a final offer of BIN - £3 and that was accepted.

The one near disaster was that the phone was sent without any protective case in a very lightly padded Jiffy envelope without even anything written on the envelope to show that it contained something very fragile! I would recommend contacting the vendor before completing a purchase and giving them packing instructions...

Top Bottom