E bikes that look like motorbikes ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Exlaser2

Veteran
I think it's scandalous that you can ride at such dangerous speeds without a licence and helmet etc. It's this sort of irresponsible behaviour that gets Shapps and the daily mail all worked up.

Lol , are you some kind of daily fail sock puppet ? Why would you think such speeds or distances were dangerous on a bike # you cannot be a cyclist .
Unless you are being ironic 😀

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I think it's scandalous that you can ride at such dangerous speeds without a licence and helmet etc. It's this sort of irresponsible behaviour that gets Shapps and the daily mail all worked up.

Pot calling the kettle black? You were always quicker than me! ^_^

classic33

Leg End Member
Two seized by West Yorkshire Police
1662039829622.png

I was in favour of moving to what we have now, regulations in use since 2016. But I'm wondering how many riding electric motorbikes/mopeds would be happy at the old limits we had. Both speed and motor size, if they were allowed a throttle. There's not be too many, in my opinion, in favour of the old rules being used.

Be careful in what you want, there may be a price to pay. There were throttles, but speed and motor size weren't good enough. Both of those were increased, but the throttle was removed.

That sounds like you are confusing electric mopeds and motorbikes with ebikes. The twist and go ebikes are not a substitute for mopeds they just control power by throttle rather than set power levels and you didn't have to pedal but most did especially on hills because of their limited 250W power output. As I say most ebikes in the world use throttles. In india brushed motor conversion kits are popular because of their low price and they are often used with gel lead acid batteries to keep the price down, those are throttle based but just about anywhere in the world except Europe ebikes have their power controlled by throttles, its just the norm and feels right.

Let's go back to the old, pre 2016 regulations, then. Slower speed, 121/2 mph cutoff limit and lower power motors.

And it did include kits that could be used to make an e-assist bike. Throttle for me means something that is twisted, not a button that's pressed(which is also a throttle under both sets of regulations).

Have a read of the thread "Throttle" on here. The work required for the throttle, manufacturer's wording, is outlined. And in the 2016 regulations is the piece about how the work around was done.

How do I know? I tried to add electric assist to a cycle. And got caught up by the fact the pre 2016 regulations didn't cover four wheels.

The old cut off limit was 15mph pretty much the same as the 25km/15.5mph cut off of the EU legislation. The wattage was less at 200W but again that was nominal/rated so you could have peak wattage maybe 400W or a little bit more. So called legal Bosch motors peak at close to 800W despite their so called 250W rating and are drawing current from their batteries between 20-25A despite 250W only being 7A at 36V. The wattage rating is something not respected or adhered to by many manufacturers and they seem to get away with it. However the Bosch motors in question will keep strictly to the 15.5mph assistance speed unless someone has fitted a dongle to them to bypass restrictions. If you use Bosch mathematics to calculate 250W then most cheaper hub motor ebikes are sub 200W anyway. They often come with low capacity batteries and controllers that are 7A continuous but can peak maybe 11-13A roughly half what Bosch will deliver with their e-mountain bike mid-drive motors.

Even today a throttle is completely legal as long as it only operates as you pedal the legislation was always about twist and go ebikes not about the throttle itself. On a pedelec ebike if you set the gear very low so you don't have to do any work yourself its pretty much twist and go anyway you just spin the cranks to move.

Landsurfer

Veteran
SYP use road registered motorcross bikes. I've not seen any police using E-MX as yet

They use electric m/bikes as well as demonstrated at our local gala at Sunnyside in June ..... 6 motorbikes . MX type, 3 i.c and 3 electric.

electric-police-motorcycle.jpg

DRM

Guru
I regularly see someone commuting on an e-bike who is going up a slight incline only a little slower than the overtaking cars, on a 40mph road, all whilst not a single turn of the pedals occur, at peak fitness I would be averaging about 14 mph up there, and have been passed by much fitter club riders probably doing about 16 mph, yet this overweight bloke in work clobber can do 38 mph without a turn of the pedals :wacko:

Top Bottom