Votes: 61 67.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Each to the own

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • Don't care in the slightest

Votes: 9 9.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Halfords are currently allowing a half hour trial, all you have to do is produce your credit card they deduct 1p and show some I'D. It's not long but a razz round a local empty car park or anywhere local puts a smile on your face whether you Intend getting one or not.

i had an invitation for a 3 day trial put nearest outlet was Milton Keynes must admit i was tempted but didn't

keithmac

Guru
I've only done 35 years of "normal" cycling befor buying my Gtech (due to its carbon drive mainly!).

If anyone wants to race me to work the reward is a day full of shite jobs that other garages can't fix so bring it on!.

TigerT

Veteran
I have one. I originally got it when I had to rest from riding my other bikes for a year due to knee issues.

This year I've been using it a couple of times a week to ride to and from work. Love it, it gets me there and back in my work clothes without getting sweaty.

I still prefer longer rides on my other bikes. But it's nice to have the choice.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
So it looks the good people of CC are majorly in favour of the ebike..........

Good job too.

Just like advocacy of faked Apollo-lunar-landing conspiracy theories, arguments that e-bikes are not a good thing, or objections to people riding them for recreational or utility purposes, are a very convenient (and indeed sound) basis on which to identify morons and consign them to the too-dense pile.

Last edited:

Sjw

I just got the Crossfire myself at the age of 60. 5 years ago and a bit it had never even entered my head about them, I was fit, averaged 16mph without too much trouble and loved my cycling, Health issues then come into play and now osteoarthritis , while its been better since I've taken dietary measures etc, tonight for instance my hips ache deeply. There's been a few times in the last year I've nearly thought of jacking it all In, there's little appetite to cycle when you just plain ache.
Last year I commuted 14 miles each way maybe twice a week during the summer but arriving hot and sweaty...this week I commuted twice on the ebike and yes, it's not a free ride but you arrive feeling so much better but have still put some effort in.
That left me fresh last night for a quick 15 miler on the road bike, quite fast for me at the heady average of 15.5 mph :laugh:...best ride I've had in ages.

It's expensive, but it just might have saved me from a life of no cycling the way things were going!,
Love the bike (Crossfire) it's smooth and feels very nice under you. Heavy, but that's forgotten as soon as you get going.
Heavy isn't the word! It's a workout getting it up the front steps ... yes, it's living indoors. I've lowered the handlebars so I'm calling myself a mechanic. It's a beast but in a good way.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I'm all in favour - at the moment I can still tuck in behind one into headwinds and then overtake when the going is easier. At some point in the future though, if it's a choice of an ebike to keep getting out into the fresh air and to keep a bit of fitness or relying on a car/bus/train and no exercise I know which one I'm going for - bring on the 'leccy.

Someone at work had a e-assist fat bike which I was tempted by until I saw the price - £4k+ :ohmy:

I'm 65 and falling apart skeletally. I'd love one. No use where I currently live, though, as I have to carry what I ride up stairs to a first floor flat.
I can just about cope with a steel mtb, the alloy Scott is little problem at the moment.
All else being equal, it's a big thumbs up from me.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I'm researching a more road based machine for next year......unless my foot and knee injuries improve. Then I might be able to get back out on the Ti

I owned an ebike ( just sold it ) ,I bought it as to use as I was 23 stone and unfit
I would take it with me and do a few miles when out and about in the motorhome.
As the weight started coming off I started doing a few extra miles and actually started to enjoy the cycling and been out in the fresh air ,as the fitness increased I bought a hybrid bike and the ebike was religated to the back of the bike shed ,I then bought the TCR and the hybrid was to the back, I used to look at the ebike and thank it for helping me so much ,sadly it's gone now to a new home.
I am all in favour of ebikes

D

Deleted member 26715

Doesn't need to be expensive, you can convert an existing or donor bike for a very reasonable sum. There are hub based or crank conversions.
Trids that one, we have a perfectly good Ladies Giant MTB sat here doing nothing but that won't float or so I'm told, she wants the old style ladies bike so she can put her leg through rather than over, I've seen the Raleigh https://www.raleigh.co.uk/spirit-electric-red-crspemdp we're on holiday in a couple of weeks in the South Lake District & there looks like a couple of dealers who offer test rides in Lancaster so we're hoping to drop in.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Trids that one, we have a perfectly good Ladies Giant MTB sat here doing nothing but that won't float or so I'm told, she wants the old style ladies bike so she can put her leg through rather than over, I've seen the Raleigh https://www.raleigh.co.uk/spirit-electric-red-crspemdp we're on holiday in a couple of weeks in the South Lake District & there looks like a couple of dealers who offer test rides in Lancaster so we're hoping to drop in.

The Raleigh has a basic but well proven TransX front hub motor and display.

Good value at about £900, and could be just the job assuming the wife isn't into the gadgetry side of ebiking.

Top Bottom