Votes: 61 67.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Each to the own

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • Don't care in the slightest

Votes: 9 9.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I just can't understand why some cyclists resent them. If an E bike overtakes you on a climb all you have to do is mind your own feckin' business. It doesn't effect you and if it has you frothing at the mouth in resentment then you have issues that need addressing.

rugby bloke

Veteran
I think they are an excellent idea, opening up cycling to those who would otherwise be put off. Also allowing cyclists to continue cycling later into life. There is a lady who commutes on one through our village. It makes me smile to see her breezing up the hill through the village which is a bit test. I guess without the e bike she may not be making the journey.
As for bruised egos - I am overtaken by so many cyclists I'm immune !

Lonestar

Veteran
Hired an ebike Kalkhoff in Thailand a few years back when my fitness was really bad and had a real good time cycling round Karon Beach to Phuket.

I remember Kalkhoff as my second bike about 1980 was a Kalkhoff (non electric) bike.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Great for those that benefit from them. Personally, I'll stick to conventional propulsion, until some point my back really gives up. They do open up opportunities for those with health conditions. Not so sure of the benefit to healthy folks. One of the lads I go MTB'ing sold his as he got fed up of waiting for everyone at the top of hills - he was fit and healthy though. One fella turned up on a ride on one, and it did make climbing look easy, and he was the only one who got up one particular hill. That was the only time he was any quicker.

One thing I would say, is most of the folk I've spoken too have had reliability issues with the motors on MTB's due to the absolute filth we ride through. I still think there is work to do on motors and batteries though, and the crazy battery prices need to come down.

fossyant

I do know one or two lads that have said 'nice motorbike' to e MTB'ers. They weren't impressed. Personally I'm quite interested in them and do ask a fair few questions.

Lonestar

Veteran
Interesting fossy.One I used to see at Maryland on the early morning commutes I don't see anymore.Used to watch out because he was a loon.One guy at work has one and he still uses it and has been using it quite a while.

I should tell him about tyre sealant...He had a p*nct*re the other week and left it there for three days.

fossyant

I just can't understand why some cyclists resent them. If an E bike overtakes you on a climb all you have to do is mind your own feckin' business. It doesn't effect you and if it has you frothing at the mouth in resentment then you have issues that need addressing.

There are a fair few MTB'ers that hate them (and roadies). A lad I know is very good on his MTB (skilled and fit), and he was test riding an eMTB, and took a load of KOM's on strava in the Peaks. Before he had time to edit the 'ride' to e-MTB it got flagged within minutes. It even said 'testing an E-MTB as he works for a big cycle store. Crazy.

D

Deleted member 26715

There are a fair few MTB'ers that hate them (and roadies). A lad I know is very good on his MTB (skilled and fit), and he was test riding an eMTB, and took a load of KOM's on strava in the Peaks. Before he had time to edit the 'ride' to e-MTB it got flagged within minutes. It even said 'testing an E-MTB as he works for a big cycle store. Crazy.
Yet again nothing to do with e-bikes but to do with ego's

Top Bottom