Votes: 61 67.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Each to the own

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • Don't care in the slightest

Votes: 9 9.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
so a huge yes to ebikes............nice one cc'ers

Smudge

Veteran
I've been a cyclist for many decades, but due to health issues which can vary in how debilitating they can be, I got into Ebikes about 5 years ago. They've been a fantastic addition to my personal transport options. Not only have they renewed my interest in cycling, but i often use them for chores like grocery shopping instead of using my car.
Hills with an unassisted bike are pretty much an impossibility for me now, as is riding longer distances...... an Ebike makes this much more manageable.
I still use an unassisted bike occasionally, but 90% of the time i'm on electric, which is at least getting some exercise and being out & about in the fresh air.

NickWi

Guru
I'm a convert. I bought an Orbea Gain in April and it's been the best thing I've ever done cycling wise. I've done more mile this summer than the last few put together. I've started doing Audaxes on it, day rides are further and the whole gentle push in the back type system the Orbea give you has improved the whole cycling experience no end.

Okay the Gain is a road-oriented bike, is a lightweight in e-bike terms, is fitted with quality components and I've been using it as it was designed to be used so it's hardly unsurprising that it's good at what it does. I don’t think I'd be waxing quite so lyrically if I'd bought the 30kg e-bike equivalent of a BSO.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I'm a convert. I bought an Orbea Gain in April and it's been the best thing I've ever done cycling wise. I've done more mile this summer than the last few put together. I've started doing Audaxes on it, day rides are further and the whole gentle push in the back type system the Orbea give you has improved the whole cycling experience no end.

Okay the Gain is a road-oriented bike, is a lightweight in e-bike terms, is fitted with quality components and I've been using it as it was designed to be used so it's hardly unsurprising that it's good at what it does. I don’t think I'd be waxing quite so lyrically if I'd bought the 30kg e-bike equivalent of a BSO.
What mileage are you getting from the Orbeas battery?? I'm looking at one for next year

NickWi

Guru
What mileage are you getting from the Orbeas battery?? I'm looking at one for next year

As with all thing it depends on how you ride, speed, terrain and if there’s an R in the month. I’m not a fast rider and don’t ride at the 15.5mph cut out point just because I can, neither do I live in a particularly mountainous part of the world. Rolling terrain with a few short sharp steep ones is how I’d describe my local countryside. On the default power settings you can get about 60miles out of the battery, maybe a bit less if it's hilly. However you can adjust these power settings and I've reduced the lowest power setting to 50% of the default as the Gain is a perfectly ridable bike on the flat and gentle rolling terrain, either power off or as I've done on reduced power. This helps the range, looking at what I had left in the tank after a recent 45mile ride I reckon 80miles, maybe a bit more would be on the cards provided it’s not too hilly and you didn’t want to keep some back the last few miles home when the day’s effort has caught up with you.

Just had 3rd ride on my decathlon emtb. Plan is for winter commute where posture, 27.5 tyres and disc brakes all have a significant role in a safe journey.
Yes I can pedal more than 25kmh but the acceleration even on mode 2 in getting away from the lights plus sustaining the 25kmh as I pedal uphill make for a less sweaty commute.
Also has usb connection on the battery so ordered a usb cree headlamp.
Good price too !

Denis99

Über Member
It’s a yes to ebike from me.

If it gets people out riding then that’s a positive.

I have had four ebike, it’s a long story and I got a bit fed up with them due to reliability issues with the first 3.

The first three were all mountain bikes with the Bosch system, and all failed , I still preserved and bought a Trek Super Commuter 9+.

The road bike was faultless, unfortunately my arthritis in my hip /leg / back got the better of me.
Sold the Trek and bought a recumbent trike ( human powered).

However, the growth in ebike sand more people cycling is a very good thing.

Could be persuaded to go e assist on the trike though.

Reactions: gbb

JhnBssll

Veteran
I went out at Tunstall again last night and a chap had brought along his eMTB, an Orange Alpine6 E. I'm not sure I'd want to spend £7.5k on it but I struggled to keep up, especially on the rutted inclines. Every so often you could hear the whir of the motor as he breezed up a muddy slope...

I can totally imagine myself riding one in the future :becool:

Reactions: gbb

NickWi

Guru
I went out at Tunstall again last night and a chap had brought along his eMTB, an Orange Alpine6 E. I'm not sure I'd want to spend £7.5k on it ...................

Or you can think of it in a different way. The leg powered version of the above is an Orange Alpine X TR at £6,400. Either way, it's a lot of money to spend on a bike, but if you can afford it, does the £1,100 pounds extra for the e-bike version give you that kick that makes you enjoy the sport all the more?

Top Bottom