ebay bike workstand. £30 (picture heavy)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Mine arrived promptly, but unfortunately is unusable as the top plastic clamp is fractured adjacent to the wingnut. I've contacted the seller to request a replacement bit, I'll report back with the outcome.

Seller contacted me this morning. I'd already offered to email him a photo of the broken clamp, which he asked to see, then he responded saying that a replacement would be sent, followed by a confirmation that I'd get it tomorrow.

DSCN0921.JPG

Can't fault the excellent service, but I'm a bit nervous about how well the plastic clamp will hold up when I start to use it. My tourer has an alloy frame, so I'm wary about clamping the top tube. Would the seat tube, as suggested above, be better or would I end up having to clamp that even tighter to stop the bike sliding down through it?

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
The clamp doesnt have any issues holding my steel bike up...the hardest bit is tightening the screw handle to keep the horizontal bar from spinning round under load.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
New clamp arrived today, as promised, great customer service.

Tricky decision now about how to mount the bike. Despite my ally frame, I'm tempted to clamp along the top tube, on the principle that gravity will be on my side and I therefore needn't over-tighten the clamp. Only downside is that I can't work on the back brake as the cable inner gets pinched.

I also tried suspending by the seatpost, which worked OK except that of course the bike adopts a nose-down attitude. But the stand is tall enough that I can still work on the front mech at a reasonable height. Slightly inconvenient in that I had to raise the saddle by a couple of cm to make room for the clamp, I'll see how the bike rides if I keep it in that position, otherwise it's just a case of adjusting it before/after doing any maintenance.

All in all, a great £30 worth, and my back is feeling better already!

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Had an email saying that mine is arriving tomorrow. Good service so far!
I'll report back when I've used it.
My chain needs some attention, so that'll be the first job tomorrow or Saturday.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
hi all, as promised on another thread here is my review of a bike stand i purchased on ebay.
Thanks for that - despite being so mechanically inept that the Cobra committee is automatically convened if I touch a screwdriver, I've ordered one so that I can attempt to clean my Brompton ...

young Ed

Veteran
Thanks for that - despite being so mechanically inept that the Cobra committee is automatically convened if I touch a screwdriver, I've ordered one so that I can attempt to clean my Brompton ...
are the tubes very small on a brompton?

finally ordered one my self along with loads of other stuff (all cycling apart from a cheap hdmi-vga lead) to make me a lovely £50 ebay bill! :O and i had to remove 2 things :sad: just put it this way don't cone knocking on my door to borrow some dosh!
Cheers Ed

Mine arrived this morning, looks good forward to putting it together.

Thinking though it might have been worth a little budget creep and got the 2014 model for £38 instead. We'll see!

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Got an email this morning saying it would arrive between 13:23 and 14:23; it came at 13:25!
I have unboxed it and have my bike clamped in. It does on first impressions look extremely good value for £30.
All metal apart from the clamps that are a heavy grade plastic. Very professional looking! And sturdy.
I can't recommend the service from this place high enough(delivery-wise).
Someone here had a broken piece out of the box, but it was rectified. So that's good.
I will let you know if there are any faults with it, but on first impressions, I'm guessing there won't be.
Anyone who is after a work stand for a good price should get one while you still can.

Top Bottom