End of Season blues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Is anyone else HANKERING to go on tour again? I'm literally aching to get on the bike and set off round Europe again. I keep working through my photos of the summer's tour and gazing longingly at maps trying to work out where I want to go next. There are good reasons we can't just pack up and go, but I'd give my right leg to be loading the panniers and setting off again.

Just me feeling like this?

I'm in a strange position!

Just got an email my from best mate's wife (they live in Andalucia and have effectively retired - too much money); they're having marital problems, and she's backed out of a holiday they were planning in January. He's still going, and she wondered if I wanted to go in her place, offering to pay for my flight and hotel (food and drink I'd have to stand for).
As it is I am going to Gran Canaria in early Jan for a week (golf holiday greenkeeping conference - all paid for) and then wanted to do a two-week bike mech's course, then with a week or two skiing in France, then a week or four cycling in/around Spain, before heading back to Norway for another golf season at the end of March.
The thing is, this 'free' holiday is for eight weeks in Venezuela; trouble is, my mate's an alcoholic, and I don't fancy being his minder/punch bag.

And my girlfriend in Sweden doesn't know about it yet! :blush:

Decisions decisions! :biggrin:

Back to the thread (sorry Cathryn); yes, I can't wait to get out and tour again. Possibly February!

Bigtallfatbloke

I am suffering as well Cathryn. All i wan tto do is pack up and go back to France or somewhere nice (and warm). Nursing a busted wrist isnt helping either. The UK really isnt all that for touring in my opinion..well at least in terms of crap weather and even crapper motorist attitudes.

Right now if I could figure out some way to finance it I would drop everything and become a full time cycle bum...erm..I mean tourer.

...somethng in me keeps saying "America"...but it's all about the dosh..

Holland still seems like a good small tour , if only I could rely on good weather...

...let's look on the bright side, at least we did some cool trips in 2008 we can reminis over and we can plan for 2009...most peeps I know still haven't found the bike in the shed let alone got on it.

...I went to a LBS today ( I shouldnt ride but I took off the wrist splint and suffered the pain), the bloke there took a look at my Galaxy, it's front and rear racks, three water bottle cages, gps etc and then said..."so what sort of cycling do you do then?"

'Bout sums the UK up I reckon.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Bless him.

Sorry about the wrist, BTFB....does it hurt much? SUCH a pain, broken bones. It'll heal though.

I'd love to do America...one day. For my 40th if not before...(it being MANY years away BTW). I was trying to work out where I could tour over the winter if i miraculously got 3 months off and decided Lisbon to Palermo would be fun. But I suspect I shall be chained to my desk for most of it.

We're due one more holiday this autumn but it really must be the husband's turn to choose. I've dragged him across enough mountains this summer. Give and take, and all that.

Cathryn said:
What happens on a greenkeeping conference? Do you discuss various mowing techniques?

It's not as exciting as that!

We get to discuss different grass types, fertilizers, climate, soil *stifled yawn*, hours of sunlight, temperature, etczzzzzzzzz.

There'll be a lot of golf and drinking. I'll leave my clubs behind (in Oslo) and rent a road bike there (and have the occasional brandy).

April seems a long way away; when and where are you thinking of going?

I would strongly recommend a visit/holiday here:

http://www.travelgatesweden.se/2008/04/29/cycling-tour-around-skane/

Sorry Cathryn but I am off again on Saturday...this time to the outer hebrides for a 4 dayer. Planning a few shorter jaunts for the autumn/winter and looking at Italy next year. Lovely lovely lovely lovely...

And in any case there's always a good time to go touring...I was touring in November, January, February and April this year. Granted the weather was pants but it was still worth it!

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Grrrr!!!

I know we could still do weekend tours in Winter ...it just takes a bit more discipline. I guess it's just the feeling of the end of summer and summer touring that's getting me down.

I do actually fancy Sweden lots..I was googling Ryanair flights there today actually.

Bigtallfatbloke

Do you discuss various mowing techniques?

..hey I could do that with this wrist..discuss I mean. Sounds really interesting, I mean do you get into different grass types and stuff? I bet the mower mechanic is a popular guy, get's all the girls right?

I have been unmitigatedly drenched on every summer tour done so far this year! if not torrential rain, it's been snow and high winds! So I don't have the feeling of summer touring blues...although I'd do my Mull jaunt again at the drop of a hat. I'm hoping that next week might give the year a small reprieve weather-wise.

just jim

I remember driving past a loaded-up touring cyclist on Harris in some vile weather in November, the Atlantic looking pretty "riled up" not far away. What a guy. It can be done!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Did I mention that I'm off to Mexico in October?:biggrin:

I'm going to try and hire a bike for some of the time but it may not be user-friendly over there

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Git :biggrin:

I know that we can 'tour' in winter, but if I'm honest, I struggle to find pleasure in battling the wind and the rain in the UK. Touring, ideally, is about new countries and new places in the sunshine drinking local wines.

But I'm moaning, I know. Sorry.

Top Bottom