Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Average gas use over the last week, having been sub zero, is around 60 KWh a day, or just over £6 per day. That's heating on all day, off overnight as we've had someone in most days. Electric has been about 20 KWh on average - similar daily use for the last month with the conservatory needing heating whilst I've been WFH two days a week (tends to use 6-10 KWh over a day).

Overall bill about £350 a month for both utilities. That's as expensive as it gets. Should see a significant drop come March - Gas will more than halve, then drop to next to nothing come May.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Just received my first credits for my solar export, just a little over £23 for dec/jan so far....that will only increase as the days, months go bar and it gets sunnier and longer days......

jowwy

Average gas use over the last week, having been sub zero, is around 60 KWh a day, or just over £6 per day. That's heating on all day, off overnight as we've had someone in most days. Electric has been about 20 KWh on average - similar daily use for the last month with the conservatory needing heating whilst I've been WFH two days a week (tends to use 6-10 KWh over a day).

Overall bill about £350 a month for both utilities. That's as expensive as it gets. Should see a significant drop come March - Gas will more than halve, then drop to next to nothing come May.

My duel fuel bill for december was a little over £200....work from home fulltime

icowden

Veteran
So what tariffs are available for off peak charging of a PV battery ( not an EV ) ? Right now would suit me ?
I thought you used solar to charge the PV battery and then got a feed in tariff to sell the excess? If you wanted to charge a PV battery from the grid, probably an EV tariff would be your best bet - depending on how often you need to charge it.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I thought you used solar to charge the PV battery and then got a feed in tariff to sell the excess? If you wanted to charge a PV battery from the grid, probably an EV tariff would be your best bet - depending on how often you need to charge it.

When it’s not very sunny and it’s January , charging off peak is preferable !! I don’t own an EV which makes it awkward !!

jowwy

Cool mine was three times that !!

yeh, we not big power users to be honest.....

icowden

Veteran
When it’s not very sunny and it’s January , charging off peak is preferable !! I don’t own an EV which makes it awkward !!

There's no rule that says you have to own an EV to use an EV tariff. It's just that there's a bit of swings and roundabouts. You pay less during the night for your off peak (Mine is 9p between 2am and 6am) but more at normal times (40p instead of 35p).

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Was starting to wonder whether this January cold snap would be worse for the energy bills than December, especially as it was minus 7 C in my garden office this morning!
Thankfully it thawed today, and the forecast for the rest of the month looks warmer.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
There's no rule that says you have to own an EV to use an EV tariff. It's just that there's a bit of swings and roundabouts. You pay less during the night for your off peak (Mine is 9p between 2am and 6am) but more at normal times (40p instead of 35p).

Out of them all it’s seems Octopus is the go to !! Now I have my MPAN as well now , I can get paid15p kWh as well on export .

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There's no rule that says you have to own an EV to use an EV tariff.
Not a rule exactly, but "Our Octopus Go Tariff is designed for customers who either own or long term lease a battery electric vehicle or a plug-in hybrid vehicle that they will be charging at home. If you sign up to our Octopus Go tariff but do not meet this eligibility criteria we can place you on an alternative tariff that we consider is more appropriate" (Octopus's terms)

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I've been listening to R4 interviewing the CE from Octopus about the DFS scheme some of you participate in. The one point which wasn't discussed is why?

From the little I could gather Octopus customers with a smart meter are paid £3/kWh not to use electricity 5.00 - 6.00pm.

I can't see the point. This doesn't result in less energy being used. Is the grid so close to capacity consumers are being asked to use less? I find that hard to believe.

Top Bottom