Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been listening to R4 interviewing the CE from Octopus about the DFS scheme some of you participate in. The one point which wasn't discussed is why?

From the little I could gather Octopus customers with a smart meter are paid £3/kWh not to use electricity 5.00 - 6.00pm.

I can't see the point. This doesn't result in less energy being used. Is the grid so close to capacity consumers are being asked to use less? I find that hard to believe.

I thought the idea was to smooth demand?
Use the same amount of energy but if you lower the peak demand you don't need to power up a coal fired station for just an hour or so ?

Reactions: mjr

tom73

Guru
I've been listening to R4 interviewing the CE from Octopus about the DFS scheme some of you participate in. The one point which wasn't discussed is why?

From the little I could gather Octopus customers with a smart meter are paid £3/kWh not to use electricity 5.00 - 6.00pm.

I can't see the point. This doesn't result in less energy being used. Is the grid so close to capacity consumers are being asked to use less? I find that hard to believe.

Is more a question of heading off trouble before that happens and trying to even out demand. It also stops having to fire up old out or action high polluting coal fired power stations. Though they have asked for them to be warmed up in case. If they try nothing the only option is planned power cuts in given areas at a time.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
And that is why solar with on site battery storage is the better solution, even having batteries and no solar is now viable.

That's very expensive and hardly fills up in the winter. Where as decent export rates pays you back and you can store the money up to pay future bills of both electric and gas

Buck

Guru
That's very expensive and hardly fills up in the winter. Where as decent export rates pays you back and you can store the money up to pay future bills of both electric and gas

No. When you work it out over the long term, filling batteries at cheap overnight rates is more economical than selling back to the grid.

Buck

Guru
Absolutely. That’s a given.

When you look at it based on current tariffs (inc low overnight tariffs) and predicted changes then it makes sense to store energy in the batteries (from solar and/or overnight cheaper rates) and use when load/prices are at a maximum.

Like everything, it’s not one size fits all but when I calculated the numbers it made long term financial sense to us to include a battery in the install with the option of additional ones later, if required.

jowwy

No. When you work it out over the long term, filling batteries at cheap overnight rates is more economical than selling back to the grid.

im currently selling nearly triple what im using......as again, im a pretty low power user, only 3.2kwhs used yesterday from the grid, but sold 9

Just wish the rate was better than 15p/kwh when spending 33p/kwh for import

Last edited:
Jeremy Vine has just been discussing the energy cashback scheme where people don't use electric for an hour, irregardless of people's opinion of JV himself it was interesting to hear people's different approaches - 1 chap turned everything off the mains which I thought was a novel approach (he also told JV off for suggesting he'd need to reset 'the video recorder' clock because 'its not the 80s anymore ^_^ ). Another family turned everything off but the TV and just watched something for an hour.

It'll be on catchup on BBC Sounds after 1400, the energy stuff is on 1st or 2nd.

jowwy

a daily low for me on electric use for the whole day

1674649559212.png

Top Bottom