Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The one thing, for better or worse, is these increases must have taught many to just be aware of our usage
Pre price rises, I think our monthly combined bills were IRO £100
Last monthly bill went up to £260, that included extra heating of course due to the weather and a fair increase in tumble drying, albeit with a very economical one..
Latest bill in today, £199, electric usage up somewhat, gas usage down but a fairly good overall drop in consumption.
House has been cooler tbf, borderline too much so. We've been quite ruthless with the thermostat whenever possible

Definitely. I thought we were already pretty good but I have tracked down some old bulbs in the house that have been wasting my electricity.

I'm sure this has been repeated in thousands of homes all over the country.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
For the first time in a long while, I've submitted meter readings* for 2 months in row to check my useage compared to the estimate on the bill I received this morning. While the electric part is almost spot on (out by 8 kWh in my favour), they've underestimated my gas useage by 300kWh (about £27) possibly due to a mild January last year and a colder one this year. The good news is that it will still leave me around £90 in credit with this month's Support Scheme payment still to be added.

*Still on the waiting list for a smart meter thanks to the Bulb administration

On the energy crisis issue i am now paying double but i'm twice as cold.
Heating the bungalow the odd hour here and there doesn't really do anything to heating it up.
Secondly my cynical head does not trust the energy companies in rushing to bring prices down when the wholesale market prices start coming down.
After all we do live in rip-off Britain.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Heating the bungalow the odd hour here and there doesn't really do anything to heating it up.
Secondly my cynical head does not trust the energy companies in rushing to bring prices down when the wholesale market prices start coming down.
After all we do live in rip-off Britain.

Wholesale prices dropped long ago and are still dropping

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Wholesale prices dropped long ago and are still dropping
Is the problem that the energy retailers are allowed to keep prices up near the cap until they've made back any deficit from the difference between wholesale and their retail prices (including cap and fixes) last year? And after that, it becomes a question of "who blinks first?" among the Big Seven oligopoly, doesn't it? Any signs of that?

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Is the problem that the energy retailers are allowed to keep prices up near the cap until they've made back any deficit from the difference between wholesale and their retail prices (including cap and fixes) last year? And after that, it becomes a question of "who blinks first?" among the Big Seven oligopoly, doesn't it? Any signs of that?

They will keep those prices up until the economy crashes and then ask for even more subsidies .

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Same here.
I worked out that when the energy subsidy ends I will be paying 110 a month with Shell.
I live alone, out at work 6 days a week.
I used to pay 57 pounds a month for both gas and electricity!

chris-suffolk

Same here.
I worked out that when the energy subsidy ends I will be paying 110 a month with Shell.
I live alone, out at work 6 days a week.
I used to pay 57 pounds a month for both gas and electricity!

Lucky!! - when the subsidy ends we'll be paying a little over £200, used to be £80

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
£401 a month DD currently ! Hoping that will come down now we have solar . Gas is by far the largest proportion of my monthly bill .

I’m on the capped rate btw . From what I’ve read it’s going up 20% ?!

Absolute nuts :sad:

november4

Ours is fixed until autumn but then will leap

Given the gas price is linked to the nordstream sabotage, then as per seymour hersh's reports on who actually did it, and the implication that our own government were party to it, then i hope the government of the day is pressured to keep financial support

Probably partly why the story is being buried

So annoying all of this, i get cycical commodity prices but political interference gets me both annoyed, and sleepy 😴 boring

Given the gas price is linked to the nordstream sabotage, then as per seymour hersh's reports on who actually did it, and the implication that our own government were party to it, then i hope the government of the day is pressured to keep financial support

So annoying all of this, i get cycical commodity prices but political interference gets me both annoyed, and sleepy 😴 boring

So buried that a quick google shows the story in The Times...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...estigative-journalist-seymour-hersh-s730dnnfz

It's a good yarn but I'd be very very surprised if its true.

Alex321

Veteran

It isn't being buried, it just isn't being given much credence.

I'm not sure where you get the implication that our government had any part in it, even if his report is true (which there is no real evidence for, and a few of his recent stories have been rather lacking in evidence).

icowden

Veteran
£401 a month DD currently ! Hoping that will come down now we have solar . Gas is by far the largest proportion of my monthly bill .
£355 here.

I was just doing a comparison.
This time last year my leccy was £88 and gas £108
This year my leccy was £334.70 and gas £287

Gas usage is roughly the same. Electricity usage is much higher. I really want the Feb bill to come in so I can do a proper comparison (I switched to an EV tariff in mid December so usage is skewed a lot). I reckon half the leccy in this months bill is the car. The tariff makes a *big* difference. I can see 343kwh night after switching only cost me £30. On the day rate that would have been £139.

Top Bottom